• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Bubble Boys of Offense

MHS831

17 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

My only argument might be PJ Walker. Just didn't see him lock down QB2 or even QB3. I think they'll release him and stick with Ramsey or pick up one of the journeymen backup QBs that are always milling about during training camp waiting for some team to give them a call.

I don't think you will see a journeyman QB because this staff doesn't seem enthusiastic about veteran NFL guys.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think you will see a journeyman QB because this staff doesn't seem enthusiastic about veteran NFL guys.

You may very well be right about that. But  we could see a third or fourth year back-up being brought on. It would not be anyone who is a threat to Darnold. Is there a Temple or Baylor QB Rhule coached floating around out there somewhere?

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

You may very well be right about that. But  we could see a third or fourth year back-up being brought on. It would not be anyone who is a threat to Darnold. Is there a Temple or Baylor QB Rhule coached floating around out there somewhere?

I would be shocked if they don't just roll with their current options. They appear to be fully committed to Darnold so I don't think they are going to plan for anything other than him starting.

Which, in fairness, there are really not many good options available on the market at the moment. None that would be more than slightly better than Darnold, anyway.

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, Michael G said:

Sheesh...When I did my RB/FB thread I forgot about Spencer Brown. (Sorry Spence)

That final WR spot(s)will be a real battle. I doubt Bayless goes to the PS- the FO had doubts about his ability to clear waivers Last Year and if he shows out again it in Training Camp/OTAs will be more of the same. The problem is that neither would Shi Smith and Zylstra might not even if he was eligible for it. I'm not sure Zylstra is safe, especially if one of these guys (or a backup CB, Safety, or RB) proves that they can give about the same level of production as he did on Special Teams. Like you said there is a lot we don't know about some of the other options so there's no telling whether or not one of them might surprise and win a spot.

I think Bayless and Zylstra are battling.  We shall see.

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I would be shocked if they don't just roll with their current options. They appear to be fully committed to Darnold so I don't think they are going to plan for anything other than him starting.

Which, in fairness, there are really not many good options available on the market at the moment. None that would be more than slightly better than Darnold, anyway.

If you want my honest opinion, I think Darnold has until the week before the trade deadline to make his case for starting QB. If not, I'd bet Fitterer will be on the phone looking to trade for/acquire Garoppolo from the 49ers.

We all should know if Darnold is the guy by mid-October. Hopefully he'll be out there knocking them dead or at least showing real promise. If not, we haven't got anyone in that locker room to replace him with and actually have a shot at salvaging the season. They will have to go out of the building if they want a vet or we will all have to endure another losing season and hope they draft someone good. If that happens, expect that Rhule will definitely be on the hot seat. If Darnold really does great, then we'll all be talking about Rhule's genius move.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If you want my honest opinion, I think Darnold has until the week before the trade deadline to make his case for starting QB. If not, I'd bet Fitterer will be on the phone looking to trade for/acquire Garoppolo from the 49ers.

We all should know if Darnold is the guy by mid-October. Hopefully he'll be out there knocking them dead or at least showing real promise. If not, we haven't got anyone in that locker room to replace him with and actually have a shot at salvaging the season. They will have to go out of the building if they want a vet or we will all have to endure another losing season and hope they draft someone good. If that happens, expect that Rhule will definitely be on the hot seat. If Darnold really does great, then we'll all be talking about Rhule's genius move.

I think if we see a potential trade before the deadline for someone like Garoppolo, you would have to think that makes the coaches look like they think they are on the hot seat.

Plus, I honestly think Jimmy G is safe this season, unless Lance is just a phenom and much further ahead of schedule than even his big supporters(myself being one) believe. 

I guess the real nightmare scenario is what if Darnold is just simply mediocre(better than the Jets, perhaps Teddy esque)and we win 7-9 games? Do you go back to square one in the offseason or try to see if you can build a Ravens/Broconos super team that can overcome mediocre to bad QB play?

• Pie 1