• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What we need to see from Sammy D in OTAs

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We are quite objectively a bad franchise. 7 winning seasons in 27 is just bad. The bulk of the franchises with that sort of track record are largely the perennial cellar dwelling franchises. 

The thing that gives we fans hope is that our highest highs have been two Super Bowl appearances. That is something the bulk of the rest of the bad franchises can't say. 

Remember, that is legitimately what Tepper, our front office and coaching staff are up against. They have to find a way to have some sustained success. Sustained success has literally never happened in Panthers history. We are the NFL's only franchise to never have had back to back winning seasons.

We have been a bad franchise.

Whether we still are remains to be seen.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

The reason to pick up Sam's option is it’s cheaper than not doing it. 

You fans that don't believe in the Sammy experiment will never accept it. 

The team believes in Sam. They have invested in him for the next 2 seasons. 

It's smart to sign his option because if he plays half as well as they expect him to, extending him after the fact would cost more. It's just that simple. 

Basic math. 

That math only assumes success, which is where your formula breaks down. 

Even if he is a wild success, it will likely still entail a big contract extension next year.

• Beer 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

That math only assumes success, which is where your formula breaks down. 

Even if he is a wild success, it will likely still entail a big contract extension next year.

In which case, he would've earned it.

I don't see how you can complain in that vein.

It's not your money being spent.  

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, Trainwreck said:

That’s what people like you said too about Mahomes and Watson when KC and Hou traded up for them. 

Oh....so you want to play this "Poo" game, pal?

I'm all for it.

Edited by glenwo2

Head coach Matt Rhule and general manager Scott Fitterer have every belief  Sam Darnold can be the starting-caliber quarterback the Panthers have been searching for. 

I will have to go along with their thinking until proved otherwise.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Like I said, after this season, it's boom or bust. Zero excuses left.

This we agree on.  I see where you’re coming from.  Sam ain’t what most of us wanted or even considered.  But now that it’s him, we can either watch and hope he shows improvement, or cross arms and wait for him to screw up.

One way seems more enjoyable than the other. Jus sayin.

• Beer 4

2 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

In which case, he would've earned it.

I don't see how you can complain in that vein.

It's not your money being spent.  

I don't see how you can get complaining out of that. My point was that the dollars and "sense" of picking up that option only work if he is a wild success. In that scenario, he is getting paid regardless of being under an additional year or bring a free agent. Conversely, if he bombs, you are looking at another big cap charge off for a mistake you probably shouldn't have made.

Really the only scenario that fits with the decision is if he is just kind of mediocre(which would be a big step up from his history). In that case the contract would make a lot of sense.

2 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

Head coach Matt Rhule and general manager Scott Fitterer have every belief  Sam Darnold can be the starting-caliber quarterback the Panthers have been searching for. 

I will have to go along with their thinking until proved otherwise.

Rhule and company thought that about Teddy last year too. Just saying.

I think trading for Darnold was a mistake. He's probably just a bust. I would've absolutely drafted Justin Fields. I hope I'm wrong. I hope Darnold becomes a perennial All-Pro, I just sincerely doubt that happens. St the end of the day, I just want him to boom or bust. Don't be "just good enough". Clearly be the answer or clearly don't be the answer so that we can resume our search for the answer. Thanks.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't see how you can get complaining out of that. My point was that the dollars and "sense" of picking up that option only work if he is a wild success. In that scenario, he is getting paid regardless of being under an additional year or bring a free agent. Conversely, if he bombs, you are looking at another big cap charge off for a mistake you probably shouldn't have made.

Really the only scenario that fits with the decision is if he is just kind of mediocre(which would be a big step up from his history). In that case the contract would make a lot of sense.

It's still not your money, though.    But you do you, I guess.  *shrugs*