• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What we need to see from Sammy D in OTAs

1 hour ago, L-TownCat said:

This we agree on.  I see where you’re coming from.  Sam ain’t what most of us wanted or even considered.  But now that it’s him, we can either watch and hope he shows improvement, or cross arms and wait for him to screw up.

One way seems more enjoyable than the other. Jus sayin.

I am not wishing him to do poorly because then we are sliding down the historic Browns/Bengals kind of slope. Not a place I want to be.

But me hoping he works out doesn’t turn off the part of my brain that can see how flawed of a player he is and look at the history of these kind of reclamation project QB's. No amount of hoping is going to wash away those things. What will wash that away is performance on the field. 

I felt the same way about Teddy. Started the season very skeptical because I knew what he had been, started to buy in a little when we were winning games, then had the carpet ripped out from under me as he clearly because the reason we couldn't close games.

Darnold feels like Teddy 2.0.

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I genuinely don't think you have any concept of what being a fan is. I think that is the real root of the problem.

And I genuinely don't think it's worth it to continue conversing with a close-minded fool like you nor to continue reading your posts unless I want to continue to lose more brain cells.   

The Ignore list is a wonderful invention, I must say.   #SeeYa

You've chosen to ignore content by kungfoodude. (A wonderful invention, indeed)

Edited by glenwo2

If we all agreed with one another on the Panthers personnel moves this would be a dull forum indeed.

I believe SD has what it takes, but like all players he doesn't exist in a vacuum.  I'd go even further and say a QB's success or failure is dependent on a greater number of players than any other position in football. 

Or to put it another way, a QB's success is in many ways out of his own control.

What the Panthers have done this off season is build a team around SD.

It may not work out, but I believe there is a good chance that it will.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

If we all agreed with one another on the Panthers personnel moves this would be a dull forum indeed.

I believe SD has what it takes, but like all players he doesn't exist in a vacuum.  I'd go even further and say a QB's success or failure is dependent on a greater number of players than any other position in football. 

Or to put it another way, a QB's success is in many ways out of his own control.

What the Panthers have done this off season is build a team around SD.

It may not work out, but I believe it is a good bet that it will.

My counter would be that an average QB's success is largely dependent on those around him. A great QB will be good to great regardless of the pieces.

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

My counter would be that an average QB's success is largely dependent on those around him. A great QB will be good to great regardless of the pieces.

How would you know for sure?  Might have been some potentially great QBs that crashed and burned because of the lack of talent around them.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

How would you know for sure?  Might have been some great QBs that crashed and burned because of the lack of talent around them.

I think that largely eliminates them from being great. That is sort of the difference between great athletes and the good, average or below average guys. They don't need motivation or situations to make them great, it all comes from within.

Doesn't mean that people didn't influence that long the way but I firmly believe that you could put Watson, Wilson, Brady, Rodgers or any of the elite QB's in the NFL on just about any team and they would still be great. Classic example of that....Barry Sanders. He was great and had nothing around him....ever. 

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

My point was that the dollars and "sense" of picking up that option only work if he is a wild success. In that scenario, he is getting paid regardless of being under an additional year or bring a free agent. Conversely, if he bombs, you are looking at another big cap charge off for a mistake you probably shouldn't have made.

So evidently you missed my point.  

Picking up his option is a low risk investment for the team that is committing to Sam for more than just one season. 

There would have been no other time to extend afterwards that wouldn't cost more. 

If he bombs, he bombs, and we move on.

Something tells me he will play both seasons for us.  If I'm wrong, so be it. 

Either way it's cheap investment on what could be getting our franchise QB. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think that largely eliminates them from being great. That is sort of the difference between great athletes and the good, average or below average guys. They don't need motivation or situations to make them great, it all comes from within.

Doesn't mean that people didn't influence that long the way but I firmly believe that you could put Watson, Wilson, Brady, Rodgers or any of the elite QB's in the NFL on just about any team and they would still be great. Classic example of that....Barry Sanders. He was great and had nothing around him....ever. 

I can't think of another position in any sport that is more dependent on the performance of other teammates than that of an NFL QB.  Circumstances surrounding a QB matter immensely when it comes to their success or failure IMHO. 

I suspect Rhule and Fitterer would agree, otherwise why bother trading for SD?

Why give a second chance to another teams failed QB?

Why did Green Bay bother trading for Brett Favre? 

Why did Kurt Warner suddenly become a record setter rather than just another journeyman QB? 

Why did the Raiders foolishly let a failure like Jim Plunkett waste a roster spot for two years before he led Oakland to two Super Bowls?

How about Jake Delhomme?

Let's look at it from a different angle:  

Does anyone seriously think 4 time Super Bowl Champion Terry Bradshaw would've succeeded in the NFL if he was drafted by the Lions or the Jets?

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I can't think of another position in any sport that is more dependent on the performance of other teammates than that of an NFL QB.  Circumstances surrounding a QB matter immensely when it comes to their success or failure IMHO. 

Why did Kurt Warner suddenly become a record setter rather than just another journeyman QB? 

Why did the Raiders foolishly let a failure like Jim Plunkett waste a roster spot for two years before he led Oakland to two Super Bowls?

How about Jake Delhomme?

Does anyone seriously think 4 time Super Bowl Champion Terry Bradshaw would've succeeded in the NFL if he was drafted by the Lions or the Jets?

hallelujah GIF

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

How about Jake Delhomme?

So what you are saying is if Darnold fails here, it is because we are a dumpster fire of a franchise and not that he is a bust?

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

So evidently you missed my point.  

Picking up his option is a low risk investment for the team that is committing to Sam for more than just one season. 

There would have been no other time to extend afterwards that wouldn't cost more. 

If he bombs, he bombs, and we move on.

Something tells me he will play both seasons for us.  If I'm wrong, so be it. 

Either way it's cheap investment on what could be getting our franchise QB. 

I can't help you understand what is likely to transpire here. You are just going to have to see for yourself.