• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What we need to see from Sammy D in OTAs

11 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Not to even mention the potential 100M or more in salary that Darnold will make the next 5 years as opposed to a real rookie QB like Fields. Which makes exercising that 5th year option having no upside and all risk. Any comparison has to assume they play at a similar level. The initial trade was a little much but not too bad. But guaranteeing another 19M for no reason is. It’s Darnold/Horn - Fields/ Moton/Moore new deals. I’m having a hard time using basic math to make on any of that logical  financial sense. Maybe you will have better luck

If Darnold is making 100+ mil here the next 5 years then this math basically becomes less relevant. Even if Fields is as good as Darnold, you have your guy finally and you are just glad as a franchise you do. 

It creates more juggling every offseason but it's a lot easier to deal with that when you have a franchise QB.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, SmittysLawnGuy said:

Not really the point. My money helps pay his salary though. So the statement that "You're not paying his salary" would be incorrect. Of course I don't have a say where the money goes but I sure as hell can bitch about how they spend it. I'll let my my boy big Tepp decide if they allocated my money correctly.

The "it's not your money" crowd is just plain idiotic. It's basically saying whatever decision the franchise makes is above reproach and we the fans have no right to question. That is completely moronic. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, BrianS said:

But not because of our offense!  We were looking like a top pick because our defense in 2019 was historically bad and old!  We lost our best DB to free agency and our HoF MLB retired. 

We were a middle of the pack offense in 2019.  Everyone thought that with the pieces we had, with Joe Brady at the controls and TB5 upgrading what we saw from Kyle Allen we'd be a better offense.  We were slightly worse.  All because TB5 was anti-clutch.

Again, what specific things on our offense grade out as below average?  The only one I can come up with is the TE room, and that may be underselling them a little.  Our skill positions are among the best in the league QB aside.  Our line is average to possibly above average.

Everything about our offense SCREAMS "Give us a franchise QB and we will light this league up!"

TE, QB and likely OL will be below average on offense in 2021. Even so, we have the weapons to be a an upper half of the league offense. The only things that can torpedo us are bad QB play and/or bad OL play. Both are certainly possible.

6 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I'm onboard with this.  He's had 3 seasons under his belt.  Regardless of age he should know what's out there.  IMO his age was only a factor in bringing him here.  Young with some experience.

We're going to know, just like we knew with Teddy, after one season whether he has the tools, the confidence and leadership to run this team for the next 10+ years.

There won't be much of a difference between Darnold and Teddy if Darnold continually loses games over pour decisions.   Poor decision = inability to make all throws. 

I'm still hanging my hat that he will succeed here but you make a great point. 

We'll find out real soon which side gets to do its "I told you so's" to the other.

The first sign is how he does overall in the OTA's.

If he does well (don't see how he wouldn't), the next step is seeing what he does in Preseason games against opposing defenses(even if they're mostly vanilla).

And if he does well there, the final and TRUE test is Game 1 against that piece of garbage franchise.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

If you really think there wont be any panic and backlash if sam is not anywhere near above average this year i dont know what tell you. It will be no different than last year, i like things about this staff but they are showing they cant be trusted quite yet with the way they handled the season and teddy. You would think people around here would be smarter than that. 

Edited by CPF4LIFE
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, Kentucky Panther said:

I am more than happy with Darnold as our guy as opposed to Teddy. I think he could end up being great for us. 

That said, it will be easy to point the finger at our staff if Fields is lighting it up and Darnold is struggling. Whether it’s fair or not. 

Hopefully we don’t have to worry about it. 

Oh I agree with this 10000%.    I would be very disappointed (and alarmed) if Sam is still struggling in which case you can just write the obituary for his NFL Career as a Starting QB.     But I don't see that happening with the amount of talent he's now surrounded by.

Also, someone pointed out the "Average"(at worst) O-line he'll be playing behind and I must say that it's a complete and total upgrade from that garbage he was behind in NY so he'll get more time to stand in the pocket and make the throws instead of turning into the Roadrunner and Go "Beep-Beep!" and run for his life.

2 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

When you willingly purchase something it's no longer your money.  Buying a car doesn't give you say in the company. Too funny.

Pretty much this.    I never understood that type of entitlement that fans have where they're like "well I purchased tickets so it's now MY money they're spending".  

No.  It's no longer YOUR money if you paid for a ticket or Season Tickets. 

What is yours is the Tickets; what is theirs is the Money. 

That is why I stated to him and others that they shouldn't concern themselves with what and how Tepper spends money on Sam.

1 hour ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I wanna never call him Sammy D again

Well his Grandfather's name was DICK Hammer so..... 😏

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

Not to even mention the potential 100M or more in salary that Darnold will make the next 5 years as opposed to a real rookie QB like Fields. Which makes exercising that 5th year option having no upside and all risk. Any comparison has to assume they play at a similar level. The initial trade was a little much but not too bad. But guaranteeing another 19M for no reason is. It’s Darnold/Horn - Fields/ Moton/Moore new deals. I’m having a hard time using basic math to make on any of that logical  financial sense. Maybe you will have better luck

If Darnold is good enough to earn a $100m+ contract with us anyone not rejoicing is miserable for the sake of being miserable.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

We'll find out real soon which side gets to do its "I told you so's" to the other.

This is exactly what I mean when I say some people here aren't actually fans if the team at all. If you care more about the "I told you so's" on a fuging internet message board than how the actual team and players perform, you are not a fan of the team. 

At. All.