• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2021 the BEFORE

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Matt Leinart never really did well. Baker Mayfield is a good point. In 2019 his QB rating was worse than Darnold’s believe it or not and he was throwing to OBJ, and Landry while Darnold had Robbie Anderson. So in 2020 they beefed up Mayfield’s line and got him a smart offensively minded coach and he did great. Darnold mean while lost his best weapon (Robbie) had a terrible line, kept his terrible coach, and battled with a shoulder injury all year making him regress greatly. I’m hoping we can get a 2019 to 2020 Mayfield progression from him. Better line, better weapons, and better coaching might do that. Let’s hope it does!

I meant Carson Palmer.

Baker was much more of a gamer/competitor than Darnold appears to be, in all honesty. Baker was frustrated when things weren't going well but Darnold largely just looks completely lost.

They are similar in that they are gunslingers but I think Darnold is just basically Baker Mayfield(or Jameis Winston) with zero development or production.

Agreed I hope it works. The alternative isn't fun.

• Pie 1

High: Reddick and Arnold. these are both terrific FA signings this year that I expect to feast because of the talent surrounding them. I would be surprised if both didn't put up record years.

Not sure: Christensen. I think he'll be an excellent player, but not sure if that'll be at guard or tackle. I really hope it's LT. I toyed with Marshall here because of his injury history.

Low: Greg GD it Little. I know your rules said to only look back 1-2 years, but this guy kills me, so I went back 3. Cut his ass already.

• Pie 1

Trying to steer clear of the obvious choices.  

High: Dan Arnold.  With the increasingly disappointing showings that Ian Thomas has given us, I think we’ve forgotten what good TE play is like.  I’m pretty high on Arnold having a great year.  Will he be as good as prime Olsen?  No, but 750 yards would be fantastic considering what we’ve had at the position since Olsen started getting hurt, and I think he’s capable of it.  This is a very slept on signing by a lot of folks.  

Not sure: AJ Bouye.  He’s shown he’s able to play at an elite level, but I think his best days are behind him.  He may surprise me, but he’ll be 30 when the season starts and had a bad, injury-riddled year last year.  I am not expecting too much, but he may shock us.  I’d love it if he balled out.  

Just no: Greg Little.  I looked over the roster as it stands and tried not to pick Little, but there’s simply not a player we have under contract that I believe in as little as Little.  I don’t think he’ll be on the team in 2022 and was a horrible pick.  

• Beer 2

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm gonna try to stay away from known commodities here...

High: Gross-Matos. He showed some nice flashes as a rookie. I think he'll evolve into a very good DE opposite Burns and their respective strengths complement each other well.

Unsure: Chinn. Now wait a minute, I'm not unsure of the player. I'm unsure of how we're gonna use him. Is he a full-time safety now? Will we be tempted to shift him more toward LB again out of necessity either due to injury or subpar play from our LBs? Personally, I'd like to see us stay the course with him. Wherever we feel he's best suited, play him there. Don't let his versatility mean we hamper his development trying to put a band-aid on elsewhere. Phil Snow thinks that safety is where he best fits.

Low: Darnold. Until he proves otherwise, he's just a bust. History isn't kind to busts resurrecting their careers elsewhere. Sure, it happens but it's the exception and not the rule. Here's to hoping Darnold proves to be an exception but I'll believe it when I see it.

I didnt know I had a fellow YGM fan.... of course its big brained LG!

HIGH- Derrick Brown. LG took YGM, I wanted to take another one. Watch out league, there could be a bigger Adarnold on the come up!!

UNsure- Ginger Cringer. ???........???...?...?....??

Low- Elf weak and injury-prone is a bad combo. Show me that thumb prevented you form gaining strength and stay off the injury report for once in your career. 

15 hours ago, CarolinaLivin said:

For Matt Rhule... I think if does indeed turn out to be the wrong guy for the job, I don't think he'll be fired for anytime soon. He was brought in as a guy that is known for rebuilding and not winning now. His resume shows that is takes him about 3 years to change the culture of a college team. This time, he has to adjust his self to the NFL as well as try to change a culture. So.. he will likely have that on his side and likely will be in Carolina for some years to come even he isn't the guy. 

I hope you are right.

• Pie 1

* I limited my answers to players who have not yet taken a snap as a panther to keep myself from repeating some of some of the previous choices

High- Daquan Jones (The DL overall): I think he will really control the middle of the line of scrimmage and absorb double teams that will allow D.Brown, D. Nixon and/or Edge Rushers to get into opposing backfields frequently

Fence/Unsure- Sammy Darnold😧 I know he's been mentioned a lot but I can't pick anyone else here. So much of our team's success this year depends on him turning things around and I 'm not sure that he will get it together even though he himself has talent and more talent around him- Injuries, poor decisions, bad habits--its gonna take a lot of work by him and the coaches.

Low- Pat the Elf and Cam Erving: Like Sammy D. these guys are reclamation projects. How many reclamation projections turn out to be successful? I really think the O-line could be in trouble again, especially if Christensen can't contribute. Erving and Elf haven't been very successful despite their versatility and scheme fit, so yeah I'm not high on these guys. I hope they and the coaches prove me wrong.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1

High: Terrace Marshall This guy is legit. I expect him to be wide receiver 1 by next year. His 50/50 balls are literally 80/20. His catch radius is next level. His adjusted catch rate was highest in the nation at 84%. At 6'3 205 he ran a 4.40. I liken him to Michael Irvin.

Not sure: The Cringer. Sure hope the genius of Joe Brady shines a little brighter this time around.

Low: Whichever huddler said Michael Vick had every right to torture dogs because they were his.

Edited by SmittysLawnGuy
  • Pie 1

Gonna buck the trend...

Low: thought about Joey Slye here. Thought about Paradis. I thought about Ian Thomas here.  I feel bad putting anyone here but I think the easy pick is Greg Little. Almost too easy because I don't even see him on the roster when the season starts. I have every confidence that any of the other guys at OT on the roster could do better than him. No one responsible for drafting him is here anymore so cut him lose and let him get picked up by WFT.

Not sure: the three guys I thought about above could go here, but I'm thinking more Dan Arnold. I think he could be good, but I just don't know. I keep forgetting about him. I'm hoping that he makes himself memorable...in a good way of course. We just have so many good receiving options I don't know how much he will be used. 

High: Sammy. I believe in his rehabilitation here. Call me a homer. Call me high. I don't care. I think he's the real deal. Don't ask me to justify it for you cause I won't. It's just my gut and my gut is telling me that to expect good things. You don't have to agree with me and I don't blame you one bit for not agreeing with me. I just feel good about him.

• Pie 1

High: Sam Darnold. He's no less talented than any of the QBs we could have drafted at #8 and barely much older. He's a work in progress, but he was left out to dry in 2020 by the Jets - when Crowder is your #1 WR you're bold faced tanking. I'm not expecting Pro Bowl numbers in 2021, but I do expect him to silence a lot of doubters. R/U: Jeremy Chinn.

Unsure: Brian Burns. An incredibly talented pass rusher, but also an incredibly fragile one. Perhaps he was drafted with an eye on moving to a 3-4 system as he has build more suited to playing OLB than DE. R/U: Donte Jackson.

Low: Ian Thomas. Has yet to produce anything of note for the Panthers. The path was clear for him to seize the starting job in 2020 - instead the Panthers went out and signed a reasonably priced FA and spent a premium Draft pick on another TE this off-season. I'd be surprised if he survives TC.  R/U: Shaq Thompson.

Edited by OldhamA