• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grier thoughts on Darnold (conversation from other thread)

TheCasillas

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

I dunno, our QB room is straight up trash man once you get past Darnold.  And he's about one season from being thrown in that same pile.  I think you carry three just in case SD gets hurt.  Maybe one is Tommy Stevens and maybe he can play a role on ST to help you out.  Either way, I think either PJ or WG is gone this year and past SD, not sure ANYTHING is a guarantee.

Probably the most honest comment on this thread. Darnold has upside and I support him but everything else is garbage. No, I wasn’t on the Watson or Fields train either. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Nobody thought he was a steal in the 3rd.  He floats his passes and doesnt go through his progressions.  The spread offense masked his limits and inflated his numbers.  He is not good

Will Grier is Matt Moore at best. BEST. I actually think Moore may have had a better career if they supported him and didn’t tank in 2010. Grier is a career back up.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Nobody thought he was a steal in the 3rd.  He floats his passes and doesnt go through his progressions.  The spread offense masked his limits and inflated his numbers.  He is not good

That is simply not true... especially in the bottom of the 3rd where we drafted him... if he didn't have any flaws he would have went much sooner... he was viewed as a steal bc he was viewed as a guy who could come in as a high end backup to Cam and potentially a long term starter...anybody can make a pronouncement 2 years after the fact... doesn't change what was being said about him when he was actually drafted

3 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

This is what a lot of people from WNC realized after playing with/against Cameron Maybin or Madison Bumgardner. Those dudes were just different. I knew some really, really good players who went on to play d1/d2 ball. Those two dudes were just on another planet. 

I remember going and watching Bumgardner play once. That kid was insane. He'd strike out the side and then go yard when it was his turn to bat.

11 minutes ago, Floppin said:

I remember going and watching Bumgardner play once. That kid was insane. He'd strike out the side and then go yard when it was his turn to bat.

Yeah. He’s a freak.

Maybin was one of the most fluid players I’ve seen. He made everything look so easy. Vacuum in center field. Absolute cannon arm.  I think he got drafted top ten out of high school if I remember right. 

6 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Yeah. He’s a freak.

Maybin was one of the most fluid players I’ve seen. He made everything look so easy. Vacuum in center field. Absolute cannon arm.  I think he got drafted top ten out of high school if I remember right. 

Yeah. I luckily didn't have to play against either of them. I was at Watauga 98-02.

Edited by Floppin

30 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

That is simply not true... especially in the bottom of the 3rd where we drafted him... if he didn't have any flaws he would have went much sooner... he was viewed as a steal bc he was viewed as a guy who could come in as a high end backup to Cam and potentially a long term starter...anybody can make a pronouncement 2 years after the fact... doesn't change what was being said about him when he was actually drafted

Jesus dude he was absolutely never viewed as a steal.  Come on man. Everyone on here and everyone that followed the panthers knew when Marty was telegraphing that pick that it was abysmal. 

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Jesus dude he was absolutely never viewed as a steal.  Come on man. Everyone on here and everyone that followed the panthers knew when Marty was telegraphing that pick that it was abysmal. 

You're weirdly emotionally invested in this for some reason...

I've been around a long time and don't usually indulge trolls, but while it wasn't universal, there were plenty who viewed him as a steal:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article229754369.html

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-the-advanced-numbers-suggest-will-grier-may-be-the-steal-of-the-2019-nfl-draft

He's not, but I'm not wrong to point out he was viewed quite favorably when we drafted him... do yourself a favor and learn to chill a little... this is just an internet message board

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1