• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sweet Caroline - why change what works?

PanthersATL

2 minutes ago, IceUpSon2001 said:

Need Petey Pablo to write us a song?

hell, it would make more sense to sing some James Taylor IMO after a win….than trying to steal something that everyone knows is Red Sox “thing”.  

15 hours ago, CRA said:

I’ve always thought it was kinda whack to try to adopt that as a Panther thing….given everyone knows another sports franchise made it their thing before us.  

according to the mlb website, Red Sox first played it in '97, and not regularly until '02.

wikipedia says we started in '96

or are you referring to another sports franchise?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Red Sox “thing”.

It is. It is a little rape-y feeling vibe to the song too. If you read the lyrics and know it's about a 11 or 12 year old it's not a good sound. If it were up to Rhule it would be some Dave Matthews band song.

Any options there?

Maybe at the end of the game - Where are you going?  or a blowout

4 minutes ago, stackofbacon said:

according to the mlb website, Red Sox first played it in '97, and not regularly until '02.

Well, look who's getting their teaching degree today. Did not know that. I honestly could not tell you the first time I heard it at a Panther game. I didn't hear it when they played at Clemson, which was 95 and you say it started in 96

1 minute ago, stackofbacon said:

I’m referring to the Sox.  

they made it a thing.  It is what it is.  And we look like a fanbase trying to copy them IMO.  And it isn’t even a cool song.    Doesn’t really matter what they technical dates claim.  It’s like USC.   No matter what history technically says….Southern Cal owns it.   It just is what it is.  

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

I’m referring to the Sox.  

they made it a thing.  It is what it is.  And we look like a fanbase trying to copy them IMO.  And it isn’t even a cool song.    Doesn’t really matter what they technical dates claim.  It’s like USC.   No matter what history technically says….Southern Cal owns it.   It just is what it is.  

i get what you're saying, and can't argue it

good to know the history tho

• Beer 1

54 minutes ago, CRA said:

hell, it would make more sense to sing some James Taylor IMO after a win….than trying to steal something that everyone knows is Red Sox “thing”.  

How could the Panthers "steal" something that in reality predates the "Red Sox thing"?

They couldn't. 

I was unaware that the Red Sox brought national attention to the song, but even if I knew that, it wouldn't alter the fact that the Panthers use of the song at every game predates the Red Sox.

Now I'm supposed to be concerned about how it looks like our fanbase copied another team in a different league?  When in fact we didn't.  Are you fugging kidding me?  Talk about first world problems.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

1 hour ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

How could the Panthers "steal" something that in reality predates the "Red Sox thing"?

They couldn't. 

I was unaware that the Red Sox brought national attention to the song, but even if I knew that, it wouldn't alter the fact that the Panthers use of the song at every game predates the Red Sox.

Now I'm supposed to be concerned about how it looks like our fanbase copied another team in a different league?  When in fact we didn't.  Are you fugging kidding me?  Talk about first world problems.

It’s not that serious.  But yeah, overall in the sports world that is viewed as a Red Sox thing.   It just is what it is. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I like the Taylor song, but for a crowd song you're not gonna replace "BAH BAH BAAAAAHHH" with that.

4 hours ago, IceUpSon2001 said:

Well, look who's getting their teaching degree today. Did not know that. I honestly could not tell you the first time I heard it at a Panther game. I didn't hear it when they played at Clemson, which was 95 and you say it started in 96

But other than a few people who like the nostalgia of it, nobody new cares for Stand and Cheer...