• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"He's Definitely a Leader" CMC on SD

The Carolina Panthers are looking at starting off afresh. With a new quarterback in Sam Darnold, the franchise will hope the former Jets QB is the final piece in the puzzle to unlock their versatile offense. 

With a star running back like Christian McCaffrey in their ranks, one can only imagine the sort of damage Darnold and McCaffrey can do to opposition defenses.

McCaffrey missed out on the majority of the 2020 season due to injury. First, a high-ankle sprain in Week 2 kept him on injured reserve. Returned in Week 9, he once again had to sit out after injuring his shoulder.

Edging close to a return in Week 14, McCaffrey injured his quad which ultimately saw him sit out the rest of the season. Now back to the training field, McCaffrey looks forward to getting to work with Darnold

Sam Darnold possesses the right intangibles 

Speaking to the Panthers website, McCaffrey talked about the relationship he’s built with his new QB. 

“I’ve gotten to know him really well in the last few months,” McCaffrey said. “Just getting together throwing with him and hanging out off the field. He’s an incredible talent and an incredible teammate already, so I’m super excited for him. 

With new players needing time to fit in, McCaffrey feels Sam Darnold is acclimatizing well to his new surroundings. “I think he’ll fit in great. Already fits in great,” he said.

Talking about the intangibles that the QB possesses, McCaffrey said that Darnold is the sort of leader every team needs.

“He’s very laid back, but he’s definitely a leader too,” McCaffrey said. “And he knows when to put his foot down when he needs to and be a leader when he needs to. I think that’s something that makes all quarterbacks great,” he added.

McCaffrey who earned his first All-Pro selection in 2019 talked about the importance of a QB and how Darnold will play a key role in rallying the side to achieve their goals. 

“Just demanding attention to detail. Demanding a sharp practice and demanding a sense of urgency and that all starts with every individual. But the quarterback touches the ball every play. And so if he shows it, then everybody else will rally behind it.”

The Panthers are set to take on the New York Jets in their opening tie of the 2021 season. Hosting his former side at home, a win over the Jets will provide Darnold with a world of confidence going forward.  

Link: https://www.essentiallysports.com/nfl-news-hes-definitely-a-leader-christian-mccaffrey-talks-about-carolina-panthers-new-qb-sam-darnold/

• Pie 4

36 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I think the experience as a leader he gained will definitely be an asset. Of all the criticisms there has been of him, his leadership was never one of them. He was always highly regarded in that way. It's the on field performance that was the issue.

The fresh start with added maturity is going to help out a lot.

When I was really young (17-22), I made more than my fair share of mistakes and what I always hoped for was a new start in a new situation. I'd say to myself, "if I had a chance to do it over again, I would do this..... I would stop doing ......." I've got to think the experience he had with the Jets has him better prepared for being a Panther.

I like your positivity man.  I really, really hope you're right.  If Sam turns into a franchise QB this offseason will likely go down in history as our turning point.  And Fitts will be a savant.  

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I like your positivity man.  I really, really hope you're right.  If Sam turns into a franchise QB this offseason will likely go down in history as our turning point.  And Fitts will be a savant.  

I think he has the same impact Jake had coming in. 

I mean we had NO reason to believe in some scrub who couldn't hack it with the lowly saints and had to go play in Europe. I mean we had Rodney frikkin Peete here for Pete's sake. And we had recently drafted weinke...but Jake happened.

All in all I see Sammy as a cross between Jake and Cam.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

For comparison... Below is what CMC said about Teddy prior to the 2020 season...

McCaffrey spoke with Jonathan M. Alexander of the Charlotte Observer about all things Panthers heading into the 2020 NFL season, including the arrival of quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, saying:   

"I love Teddy. I'm extremely excited to work with him. Obviously he's had success in the past and what he did last year. But also just being able to get to know him this offseason, seeing the way he approaches the game, seeing the way he goes about his business, it's exciting and I'm really excited to share the backfield with him."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2903206-christian-mccaffrey-discusses-cam-newton-teddy-bridgewater-panthers-offense

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

12 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I think he has the same impact Jake had coming in. 

I mean we had NO reason to believe in some scrub who couldn't hack it with the lowly saints and had to go play in Europe. I mean we had Rodney frikkin Peete here for Pete's sake. And we had recently drafted weinke...but Jake happened.

All in all I see Sammy as a cross between Jake and Cam.

At best Darnold will be a similar reclamation project for Joe Brady as Joe Burrow was. Burrow wasn’t much to write home about b4 Brady arrived at LSU. With better coaching and talent, Darnold’s career could take the same trajectory.

• Pie 5

17 minutes ago, CarolinaLivin said:

McCaffrey spoke with Jonathan M. Alexander of the Charlotte Observer about all things Panthers heading into the 2020 NFL season, including the arrival of quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, saying:

It's PR 101. You are not likely to slam your new QB unless you are the Old QB and he may be taking your job. Hopefully this works with Darnold. It's odd that he is a 3 year working on 4 year guy and he is still very young. If this works(hope it does) it just further proves that the system or team is to blame for a lot of these rookie QB's downfalls. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

At best Darnold will be a similar reclamation project for Joe Brady as Joe Burrow was. Burrow wasn’t much to write home about b4 Brady arrived at LSU. With better coaching and talent, Darnold’s career could take the same trajectory.

This is what we want to happen but be cautious translating that sort of arc to the NFL. Transitions like that are definitely not as easy in the NFL. 

College football is such a skewed system.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, IceUpSon2001 said:

It's PR 101. You are not likely to slam your new QB unless you are the Old QB and he may be taking your job. Hopefully this works with Darnold. It's odd that he is a 3 year working on 4 year guy and he is still very young. If this works(hope it does) it just further proves that the system or team is to blame for a lot of these rookie QB's downfalls. 

Yeah, he isn't going to be publicly critical of either of them. Plus, I don't think a lot of players are going to into a situation like that and start trashing a guy even personally unless there is some sort of history. 

Now, the things that may get said privately between players are a different story. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

I think the experience as a leader he gained will definitely be an asset. Of all the criticisms there has been of him, his leadership was never one of them. He was always highly regarded in that way. It's the on field performance that was the issue.

The fresh start with added maturity is going to help out a lot.

When I was really young (17-22), I made more than my fair share of mistakes and what I always hoped for was a new start in a new situation. I'd say to myself, "if I had a chance to do it over again, I would do this..... I would stop doing ......." I've got to think the experience he had with the Jets has him better prepared for being a Panther.

This.  The Jets experience as a whole over the last 3 years has been egregious.  The few bright spots they had were big plays made by an improvising Darnold.  

I’ve watched the good plays and the bad ones.  I just don’t see a problem outside he was a Jet for 3 years.

• Flames 2

2 hours ago, CarolinaLivin said:

For comparison... Below is what CMC said about Teddy prior to the 2020 season...

"I love Teddy. I'm extremely excited to work with him. Obviously he's had success in the past and what he did last year. But also just being able to get to know him this offseason, seeing the way he approaches the game, seeing the way he goes about his business, it's exciting and I'm really excited to share the backfield with him."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2903206-christian-mccaffrey-discusses-cam-newton-teddy-bridgewater-panthers-offense

So are you saying is that CMC is full of sh*t?

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1