• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2021 QB1 Stat Predictions (BleacherReport)

The article includes predictions on all starting quarterbacks.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2943381-2021-stat-predictions-for-every-projected-starting-nfl-qb

Sam Darnold

Sam Darnold should show signs of promise after three inconsistent years with the New York Jets.

Darnold will throw to two starting wideouts who eclipsed 1,000 receiving yards in 2020. He also played with Robby Anderson between the 2018 and 2019 campaigns, so their chemistry should ease the signal-caller's transition to Carolina. DJ Moore became a big-play receiver last year, averaging 18.1 yards per catch.

In order to build Darnold's confidence in a new system, offensive coordinator Joe Brady can lean on the short passing game early in the season. Just two years ago, running back Christian McCaffrey logged 116 catches for 1,005 receiving yards and four touchdowns.

The Panthers need to develop a consistent playmaker at tight end, but they selected wideout Terrace Marshall Jr., a 6'2", 205-pound target who can become an asset in the red zone. Between his 2019 and 2020 collegiate terms, the LSU product caught 23 touchdowns passes.

Although the Panthers will likely run their offense through McCaffrey, Darnold has the weapons to top his career passing numbers across the board. 

Projected Stats: 339 completions, 526 attempts, 3,988 yards, 27 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 38 carries, 221 rushing yards, three touchdowns

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, CarolinaLivin said:

The article includes predictions on all starting quarterbacks.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2943381-2021-stat-predictions-for-every-projected-starting-nfl-qb

Sam Darnold

Sam Darnold should show signs of promise after three inconsistent years with the New York Jets.

Darnold will throw to two starting wideouts who eclipsed 1,000 receiving yards in 2020. He also played with Robby Anderson between the 2018 and 2019 campaigns, so their chemistry should ease the signal-caller's transition to Carolina. DJ Moore became a big-play receiver last year, averaging 18.1 yards per catch.

In order to build Darnold's confidence in a new system, offensive coordinator Joe Brady can lean on the short passing game early in the season. Just two years ago, running back Christian McCaffrey logged 116 catches for 1,005 receiving yards and four touchdowns.

The Panthers need to develop a consistent playmaker at tight end, but they selected wideout Terrace Marshall Jr., a 6'2", 205-pound target who can become an asset in the red zone. Between his 2019 and 2020 collegiate terms, the LSU product caught 23 touchdowns passes.

Although the Panthers will likely run their offense through McCaffrey, Darnold has the weapons to top his career passing numbers across the board. 

Projected Stats: 339 completions, 526 attempts, 3,988 yards, 27 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 38 carries, 221 rushing yards, three touchdowns

If he puts up those stats, he is our QB of the future.

Small asterisk for if somehow he does that in a very bad season, which would seem extremely unlikely.

• Pie 9

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. If he does that I'm on the bandwagon.

Agreed. Just because I have very little faith in him doesn't mean I won't jump on board if he proves me wrong and becomes "the guy." Success doesn't have to be accomplished the way I want it to, I just want the success.

• Pie 5

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Small asterisk for if somehow he does that in a very bad season, which would seem extremely unlikely.

Yeah 30 tds and 13 picks and 4K+ total yards? That’s franchise qb territory.

The other small asterisk is if he fails in 4th quarter situations with the game on the line consistently. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Agreed. Just because I have very little faith in him doesn't mean I won't jump on board if he proves me wrong and becomes "the guy." Success doesn't have to be accomplished the way I want it to, I just want the success.

Bingo. I WANT Darnold to be successful, I just don't THINK that he will be.

• Beer 4

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I honestly think that stat-line is highly likely to happen.

But looking at the other predictions they made, it doesn't look like their projecting bad QB play from really any QB and obviously not all 32 teams have that position figured out. 

1 minute ago, CarolinaLivin said:

I honestly think that stat-line is highly likely to happen.

But looking at the other predictions they made, it doesn't look like their projecting bad QB play from really any QB and obviously not all 32 teams have that position figured out. 

I wish I was that positive about Darnold but I personally believe he is just a standard first round bust QB and isn't likely to improve much more than Teddy did last year from his career averages. We will see what happens in a few months.

As for the article, there is no chance of most of that being remotely accurate. Like you said, 32 teams aren't going to have good QB play.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I wish I was that positive about Darnold but I personally believe he is just a standard first round bust QB and isn't likely to improve much more than Teddy did last year from his career averages. We will see what happens in a few months.

As for the article, there is no chance of most of that being remotely accurate. Like you said, 32 teams aren't going to have good QB play.

This is where I'm at. If Darnold puts up those stats, Joe Brady is probably the hottest name on the head coaching interview circuit next year.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

This is where I'm at. If Darnold puts up those stats, Joe Brady is probably the hottest name on the head coaching interview circuit next year.

If Darnold puts up those numbers... It is likely because of one of the following:

1. Brady becomes a solid LT for us 

2. CMC has comeback player of the year type year

3. Joe Brady is the "great" OC that most fans think he is

4. DJ Moore has a "breakout" (top 5 receiver) type year

5. Our defense is at least an overall top 15 defense and top 15 in takeaways/turnovers

the after effect

1. Joe Brady will leave and become a head coach elsewhere

2. Darnold is QB1 but QB2 is addressed next off-season

3. Maybe Robby stays to keep the connections alive. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. Our Sunshine crowd can't take opinions that don't have a starting 22 of All-Pros and Pro Bowlers but even being down on a player doesn't mean we want the player to fail or team to do bad. 

Now, there is a small portion that does exist here wishing us to fail because their little internet opinion tiff is more important than seeing the team do well. Those people are not real Panther fans. I have no desire to gloat about being right about Darnold because that means I got to watch yet another season of failure and watch the Panthers slide further down the NFL pecking list historically and currently. As a new season ticket holder, that ain't what I signed up for.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2