• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold's "Style of Ball"

1 minute ago, pantherclaw said:

I believe judging Sam to be a bust at this point is pre mature. 

You obviously feel differently with little as support outside of his time with the Jets. 

It's not premature. He absolutely was a bust for the Jets. A former #3 overall pick getting traded for a future 2nd and a couple of late rounders after three bad seasons of play is a bust.

Alex Smith had some good play later in his career, but he was still a bust in SF.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

10 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

It's easier to say Sam will fail. Why? Because he didn't succeed with the Jets.

Had he succeeded, we wouldn't even have this opportunity to see what he can do for us, which IS a different situation. 

He was highly successful in College, but that doesn't support the negative narrative that is the easy embrace. 

So if your not comfortable thinking the he will grow, then don't.  While it's lazy thinking, I get it. 

It's not lazy thinking. Just some are not as open-minded. There are wayyy more reasons to believe that it won't work. There are guys that were supposed to be the next generational talent and didn't work. There are guys that have had multiple chances in multiple organizations and just didn't work. I mean you have to take your chance as an organization, but you have to have those guys that disagree. If everyone just agreed on everything in here, i mean it wouldn't be fun or interesting. 

Side note: I just used your post to get my lil rant off lol 

Every fan would like to think we have our QB for the next 10 years. Just doesn't happen that easy and people know that. 

• Beer 2

The best thing that Coach Brady can do is create easy throws for Darnold, which should be quite easy. Christian McCaffrey, provided he stays healthy, can put up 100 receptions in a season, especially with a 17th game added to the schedule.

Combine McCaffrey’s unique receiving ability with the likes of DJ Moore, Robby Anderson and rookie Terrace Marshall Jr. at wide receiver, and the Panthers have a formidable set of weapons on paper.

Unfortunately, the Panthers offensive line continues to be a huge question mark, which limits McCaffrey’s rushing upside and Darnold’s ability to be consistent. Bad pass protection derailed Darnold’s hopes of thriving with the Jets, and only exacerbated his unsavory habits to the point where he’d frequently bail even when the pocket was clean.

12 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:
Matt Rhule recaps Tuesday's OTA practice, player development

"He's so young in what we ask him to do," Panthers head coach Matt Rhule said Tuesday. "But he's so young and has a great work ethic. He might have experience, but you don't have experience in what we do. Every bit of experience Sam has, he can draw from it, but he's done a great job with us saying 'Hey what's the cadence, how do you want me to drop,' and those things. That's good. That allows us to develop him really from the ground up.

"He's a great guy great arm talent. Very likable, and he works hard. He wants to be good. He doesn't want to not have a good rep. Everything we heard about him is what we're seeing."

I don't have any questions about his work ethic. I have never heard him linked to that kind of thing.

It's about what he does when the bullets are flying in a real game. That is when we will know if he is the guy or not. I will wager that it won't take very long into the regular season to find out the answer to that question.

8 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

The best thing that Coach Brady can do is create easy throws for Darnold, which should be quite easy. Christian McCaffrey, provided he stays healthy, can put up 100 receptions in a season, especially with a 17th game added to the schedule.

Combine McCaffrey’s unique receiving ability with the likes of DJ Moore, Robby Anderson and rookie Terrace Marshall Jr. at wide receiver, and the Panthers have a formidable set of weapons on paper.

Unfortunately, the Panthers offensive line continues to be a huge question mark, which limits McCaffrey’s rushing upside and Darnold’s ability to be consistent. Bad pass protection derailed Darnold’s hopes of thriving with the Jets, and only exacerbated his unsavory habits to the point where he’d frequently bail even when the pocket was clean.

I am hoping the OL questions subside but the draft picks and FA signings don't give me a good feeling about our OL improving. So, Darnold may not be set up as well for success as is being assumed. The offensive weapons and Brady's scheme should serve to alleviate some of that if the OL is subpar again.

The big question is how Darnold is going to adapt his style to Brady's system. Hopefully we get Joe Burrow and not Jameis Winston

1 hour ago, CanadianCat said:

To be fair to Teddy he never lost us games.... he just never won them either.. 

Well, he did lose us games. That first Bucs game is a win if not for that trash performance from him.

19 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I don't think Sam, even with the Jets, was ever Jameis Winston (and Winston had better weapons, too).

Winston has never had a season as bad as Darnold's entire career. But, he was also on a pretty offensively loaded team.

I don't think Darnold is on the Favre/Winston end of the gunslinger scale, either. He seems to be more in the mid-range of gunslingers. 

We will see this season because Brady's offense is pretty adept at getting guys open. 

47 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Ole LG won't rest as long as there is an iota of non pessimism to be squashed. Call in Kunfoodude for reinforcement. 

You and MrScot should have a contest to see who can get more butthurt while doing their absolute best to refrain from offering an actual opinion of their own. Unfortunately, I already know the result. We all lose.