• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold's "Style of Ball"

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yes, he's a bust. He played terribly. They moved on because he played terribly and they thought Zach Wilson was a better option for them moving forward. Baker Mayfield has had four head coaches in three seasons but the Browns didn't move past him because he hasn't played terribly and they didn't view someone else as a better option.

Sorry man, as much as you don't like it, barely over 8000 yards and 45 TDs vs. 39 INTs is a bust. We're just hoping he can bounce back from being a bust, but arguing that he wasn't a bust is just blind homerism. If a division rival had made this trade and hitched their wagon to Sam Darnold we'd be laughing our asses off.

A lot of successful NFL qbs were busts then. 

• Pie 1

Just now, pantherclaw said:

A lot of successful NFL qbs were busts then. 

Name another guy who has played as poorly as Darnold through three years who got bounced from his original team and went onto become a successful starting QB. I don't think you're going to find "a lot". People keep clinging to Tannehill while ignoring that he was FAR better in Miami than Darnold ever was in NY.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Problem is, the weaker teams come early in the schedule, hopefully we play well enough to eek out wins as we're gel-ing.  Could be worse, the jets will have a rookie qb and rookie coaches.

Yeah, luckily the early slate has some margin for error based on the opponents. If that schedule was flipped, I think things could have been pretty rough in the first half.

29 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Watching other players turn around their careers over the years has taught me that these things don't tend to happen immediately, its a process.  However, by mid season we should be seeing some clear signs of improvement.  If not, things may get ugly in Panthersland.

Yeah, and as much as Darnold is likely to be viewed as merely a backup after his time here, he could certainly prove to be a valuable backup later in his career. Some of these first round bust QB's have actually had lengthy careers as journeyman backups. They don't all end up out of the NFL in short order like the Russell's and Leaf's.

15 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I don't like the term that "kungfooldude" used there :  "marginal" improvement.

Marginal implies that he'll be just slightly better than he was last season which is an absolute JOKE of a Take.   

Some of us do seem to be somewhat more optimistic than others when it comes to Sam's prospects as a Panther.  

Darnold can make all the throws and isn't afraid to take chances.  I don't get the impression from watching his tape that he is afraid to take a hit or lacks the ability to evade defenders.  For me it all comes down to his ability improve his decision making process.  If he can do that I think we've found our long term QB.

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Name another guy who has played as poorly as Darnold through three years who got bounced from his original team and went onto become a successful starting QB. I don't think you're going to find "a lot". People keep clinging to Tannehill while ignoring that he was FAR better in Miami than Darnold ever was in NY.

In case you haven't noticed, these emotional children aren't real keen on research or facts. 

Reminds me of the angry Twitter mobs lashing out irrationally at anything they don't agree with.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I get it, you don't like the odds. You're also not willing to put your mouth anywhere bit in the past. 

Very hard to move forward that way. 

If he fails for us, so be it.   You'll be able to say you were right, and I was wrong. Until then I'm looking forward to seeing him play here. I love his talent, and natural leadership.   I can see why the team is moving forward with him, even if you can't.  

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You and MrScot should have a contest to see who can get more butthurt while doing their absolute best to refrain from offering an actual opinion of their own. Unfortunately, I already know the result. We all lose.

Dude, the only person acting butthurt and defensive on this is you.

You're absolutely dead set on the idea that Darnold is a bust and no good can possibly come of this. Fine, but some of us are either cautiously optimistic or at least just willing to wait and see what happens. No idea why that seems to offend you, but it does.

Believe it or not, there does exist the possibility that you might be wrong.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I get it, you don't like the odds. You're also not willing to put your mouth anywhere bit in the past. 

If he fails for us, so be it.   You'll be able to say you were right, and I was wrong. Until then I'm looking forward to seeing him play here. I love his talent, and natural leadership.   I can see why the team is moving forward with him, even if you can't.  

I'm just asking that if you're going to say something as if it's based on reality to be ready to back it up. Don't say crap like there are "a lot" of guys coming from this type of situation that have become successful starting QBs. There aren't. We're betting on him becoming one of the few. We'll see if that's a smart bet, but good grief at the homers who are acting like successful turnarounds happen all the time and that we've got this slam dunk at QB when that's faaaaaar from the truth. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Dude, the only person acting butthurt and defensive on this is you.

You're absolutely dead set on the idea that Darnold is a bust and no good can possibly come of this. Fine, but some of us are either cautiously optimistic or at least just willing to wait and see what happens. No idea why that seems to offend you, but it does.

Believe it or not, there does exist the possibility that you might be wrong.

No, I'm not. It's a fact that Darnold was a bust in NY. It's likely he won't be successful here. That's based on historical trends.

Again, things aren't black and white like you always try to force on everyone else while trying to live in gray areas with your own takes.

10 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

It's funny how attached you are to the "I'm right/you're wrong" narrative.

You do realize there is a difference between wanting someone to fail and just simply expecting them to, right?

I think that seems to be the core of your emotional lashing out. You care more about your uneducated internet opinion than the success of this actual franchise.

None of us want Darnold to fail(or none of us should) because then we descend further into the NFL cellar and/or we have to rinse and repeat this QB search again. I hope no one is enjoying this parade of QB's we have been fielding since Cam declined. This has been anything but fun.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

No, I'm not. It's a fact that Darnold was a bust in NY. It's likely he won't be successful here. That's based on historical trends.

Again, things aren't black and white like you always try to force on everyone else while trying to live in gray areas with your own takes.

You've seriously gone off the rails on this topic dude.

I've already said it's possible he won't be good here, but I'm hopeful that he will.

What is it about that position that pisses you off so much?

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've already said it's possible he won't be good here, but I'm hopeful that he will.

Then the only thing we disagree with is the likelihood of his success. History says it's low. Why pointing that out triggers you so much betrays your actual take. You always try to avoid going out on a limb and actually stating an opinion while making your opinion very obvious with the posts that trigger you. That's the only thing that bothers me about your posting style. Just state your opinion. It's fine if you're wrong but don't get all triggered and argumentative while acting like you don't have an opinion but oddly enough only getting triggered and argumentative about a very small subset of opinions. Just come with it. It's okay.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Then the only thing we disagree with is the likelihood of his success. History says it's low. Why pointing that out triggers you so much betrays your actual take. You always try to avoid going out on a limb and actually stating an opinion while making your opinion very obvious with the posts that trigger you. That's the only thing that bothers me about your posting style. Just state your opinion. It's fine if you're wrong but don't get all triggered and argumentative while acting like you don't have an opinion but oddly enough only getting triggered and argumentative about a very small subset of opinions. Just come with it. It's okay.

Here's my opinion.

I don't know the future.

Not sure why that's hard to understand.

And no, your posts aren't "triggering" me, but they're definitely making my shake my head and wonder why the heck you're so emotional about this.

• Beer 1