• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold's "Style of Ball"

3 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

No doubt. Obviously everyone on here will know that I am historically a trash talking asshole who gives this team and all it's moves the business and it was well warranted when we have fugin JR and Rivera and Hurney at the helm....not the case anymore

I remember being told I was too much of a pessimist.

Now apparently I'm too much of an optimist 😆

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

2 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Sam will also have a better team.

I followed Sam over here so I thought I was being called out.   wtf?

I actually was a Jets poster.  I'm guessing who Linville is referring to is someone else(maybe).    When I saw that the Jets did Sam dirty, I decided to finally ditch them after so many years of hoping beyond hope they'd remove their heads out of their ass as an organization.

I think Sam will excel on this team in every way so to the resident Negative-Nancy's here, please excuse me if I have optimism that THAT will happen. 🙄

So now we get to the core of it. This dude has absolutely zero clue about our team and is just a Darnold homer. That figures.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I mean, as an example of a guy who was pedestrian his first few seasons but turned it around, it's valid.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think it's meant as a comparison to Brees (or at least it shouldn't be).

And personally, I'd be happy if Darnold was just good to great. He doesn't necessarily have to be Hall of Fame worthy for us to be successful.

Well he went from pedestrian to a hall of fame career which isn't exactly all that common so would he not be more of an outlier? If you are going to look at both situations you can't really do so without also taking note of some numbers. Drew was putting up a 65% completion rate by his fourth year in a league that was not as pass happy as it is now. By the time he got to New Orleans he only dipped below 64% one season out of 15. Now what we have to ask ourselves is did Drew fall into the perfect situation to hone his skills with Sean Payton? He already had a 64% and 65% season before he left SD. Sam on the other hand is sitting at 59% for his career. The question is will he make the jump. Much is being said about Joe Brady which is valid but if Sam is going to go on to establish himself as a franchise qb it is going to be Matt Rhule who gets him there. For all that has been said about the trade being low risk which it is from a cost resource standpoint it is not however low risk for Rhule or Darnold. They both need this because if Sam fails after the Teddy saga and how it was handled questions will start being asked about the ability of this staff to identify the right quarterback. I sincerely hope Sam is the guy.

1 hour ago, frankw said:

They both need this because if Sam fails after the Teddy saga and how it was handled questions will start being asked about the ability of this staff to identify the right quarterback. I sincerely hope Sam is the guy.

This is where I disagree. The staff was in on trying to get Stanfford and Watson. They know what a good QB looks like. Teddy was brought in as a bridge/possible long term solution. The only problem I had with them getting Teddy was his price tag, and the contract might have been all Hurn-dog. He was, after all, the one that got poo canned. In spite of being wrong about TB, they moved on quickly.

I think the staff knows there’s a high probability of Sam not working out. They just didn’t want to give up the farm for a draft question mark qb, and bring that project into a still developing roster. If Sam doesn’t work out, they’ll try for a FA or draft someone they really believe in, to a potential loaded/complete team.

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

This is where I disagree. The staff was in on trying to get Stanfford and Watson. They know what a good QB looks like. Teddy was brought in as a bridge/possible long term solution. The only problem I had with them getting Teddy was his price tag, and the contract might have been all Hurn-dog. He was, after all, the one that got poo canned. In spite of being wrong about TB, they moved on quickly.

I think the staff knows there’s a high probability of Sam not working out. They just didn’t want to give up the farm for a draft question mark qb, and bring that project into a still developing roster. If Sam doesn’t work out, they’ll try for a FA or draft someone they really believe in, to a potential loaded/complete team.

The Teddy contract was a Hurney dud but Brady and Rhule were enthusiastic about Bridgewater. Yeah but with the benefit of hindsight now both of those options were a longshot. Plus wasn't it reported we offered the 8th pick for Stafford? That's steep for a qb even older than Cam Newton. Watson was an even bigger gamble with multiple first rounders being talked about and now knowing what we know it appears we dodged one on that. If we had acquired either of those guys the pressure would have been immense on this staff to show immediate results given the discussed resources it would have taken to get a deal done. Again I'm hoping this works out I think we need to give Darnold 2 years it's a lot to expect a full 180 in one offseason despite how optimistic some people are at the moment.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, frankw said:

The Teddy contract was a Hurney dud but Brady and Rhule were enthusiastic about Bridgewater. Yeah but with the benefit of hindsight now both of those options were a longshot. Plus wasn't it reported we offered the 8th pick for Stafford? That's steep for a qb even older than Cam Newton. Watson was an even bigger gamble with multiple first rounders being talked about and now knowing what we know it appears we dodged one on that. If we had acquired either of those guys the pressure would have been immense on this staff to show immediate results given the discussed resources it would have taken to get a deal done. Again I'm hoping this works out I think we need to give Darnold 2 years it's a lot to expect a full 180 in one offseason despite how optimistic some people are at the moment.

Yeah, I just think the trend with this staff seems to be that they seem to be willing to pay a big price for a known entity but not give up too much for an unknown. 
They also seem to be willing to throw a bunch of things against the wall and move on quickly from whatever doesn’t stick.

Edited by Khaki Lackey
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

13 hours ago, frankw said:

I know this isn't the prevailing wisdom, but I think Teddy was always meant to be interim QB.

I think they thought the rebuild was going to take 3-4 years, we'd do worse than under RR, like 2-14 and Teddy would cushion the next QB from being compared to Cam. They gave him the 3 year because that is what it took to get him, the rebuild will take that long, and they  could always trade him for something and eat part of it if they had to.  (which is what they did)

After we performed better than expected, especially with some very good teams, Teddy fell apart in the back of the season and PJ came in and won, and they thought, you know what...we could contend now...lets find our QB.  Blah blah blah...Stafford .... Watson ...     How that leads you to even look at Darnold is anybody's guess because I never would thought to look there. 

7 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

After we performed better than expected, especially with some very good teams, Teddy fell apart in the back of the season and PJ came in and won, and they thought, you know what...we could contend now...lets find our QB.  Blah blah blah...Stafford .... Watson ...     How that leads you to even look at Darnold is anybody's guess because I never would thought to look there. 

as they tripped over themselves to get Stafford and Watson.....they threw Teddy so hard under the bus in that process they were forced into a corner where Teddy simply couldn't remain here.  Relationship was done.    Darnold was the best they could do in that scenario they created for themselves.  

Just now, CRA said:

as they tripped over themselves to get Stafford and Watson.....they threw Teddy so hard under the bus in that process they were forced into a corner where Teddy simply couldn't remain here.  Relationship was done.    Darnold was the best they could do in that scenario they created.  

Yup and they knew that would happen once they started looking.   We got a sixth which we traded up with to get Christensen...letting us use our other 6ths on Shi and Lawrence.

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

as they tripped over themselves to get Stafford and Watson.....they threw Teddy so hard under the bus in that process they were forced into a corner where Teddy simply couldn't remain here.  Relationship was done.    Darnold was the best they could do in that scenario they created for themselves.  

Though, they could have taken their chances in the draft. After they analyzed the situation in ny they decided to put all their chips on him.

2 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Though, they could have taken their chances in the draft. After they analyzed the situation in ny they decided to put all their chips on him.

safe play was Darnold.  Because around that time, the talk was all QBs could be off the board before 8. 

They made a bad situation for themselves IMO.  Shouldn't of thrown Teddy so hard and publicly under the bus. 

54 minutes ago, CRA said:

safe play was Darnold.  Because around that time, the talk was all QBs could be off the board before 8. 

They made a bad situation for themselves IMO.  Shouldn't of thrown Teddy so hard and publicly under the bus.   

Exactly....they couldn't trend backward.....plus with qb settled, they could then use the 8 for another elite player or trade back, which apparently they like to do...a lot.

In the end, I see the logic.  It has some shrewd surprising moves and seems to at least have some supporting evidence to think it could succeed.   All eyes on Darnold.

44 minutes ago, CRA said:

Hey you edited but the post doesn't note that.  Moderator perk I guess.  Do you not have the time limit either?

Can you edit my quote of your post?

• Beer 1