• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much of the Jets performance was really on Darnold?

SBBlue

2 hours ago, SBBlue said:

There's another thread talking about Bell throwing shade on Gase which touched on how much this is Gase's fault.

When you see crap in all phases of the game like we saw in the jets, that's coaching. No doubt.

But the GM hired him, who also traded away the jets future to move up a couple spots to get Darnold...and then whiffed on draft pick after draft pick...until all of their 1st rounders are no longer on the team.  

They lost out on Rhule because they wanted to do the assistant coaching decisions...cause you know.... they're so good at coaching picks.

When they went to replace the GM, the owner passed on Fit....

and the new GM gifts us Robbie and trades Darnold.

I hope we blast the living daylights out the jets week1 and they sit and wonder what might have been.

To be fair, that GM got fired too.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, that GM got fired too.

One GM did get fired.  The new one who let Robbie go and traded Darnold for a future 2nd and change is still there.

I hope those two make him rethink that week 1.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mc52beast said:

Yes, it’s true. Tom Brady would’ve lost in a Jets uniform. That franchise has been trash for years, Sam was doomed to fail from the beginning. Let’s hope he isn’t another David Carr and can resurrect his career.

I wonder how many remember our David Carr experience?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I wonder how many remember our David Carr experience?

the big thing i remember is that he came in here shell-shocked. I mean the guy was absolutely pummeled for years. Sacked almost 250 times in 5 year, three of those years he led the league in sacks. i looked and in his rookie year he was sacked 76 times. the guy never had a chance. he had no help from houston at all. i don't know how mentally secure he was heading into houston, but by the time he got here he was a shell of a guy. he needed time to recover and i guess the plan was to sit behind and be mentored by an aging jake and then eventually take over. 

i think it was a good plan because carr had some real talent, but mentally he was beaten down. the problem was that jake got beat up by tommy johns and carr had to take over. they brought in vinny to take pressure off, but vinny was about ready to start receiving social security checks and enroll in medicare so he was limited in what he could do. 

carr had to take over before he was mentally able to and it showed. he got booed off the field and then got put on the injured list missing a game because of "fragile psyche." 

essentially, he wasn't mentally ready to play when he got here and he was forced into it and it was a disaster for him and the team.

the biggest difference between carr and darnold is the mental shape they were/are in when they got here. darnold got out before he was damaged goods and it seems like he's got a stronger mental foundation than carr did. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

the big thing i remember is that he came in here shell-shocked. I mean the guy was absolutely pummeled for years. Sacked almost 250 times in 5 year, three of those years he led the league in sacks. i looked and in his rookie year he was sacked 76 times. the guy never had a chance. he had no help from houston at all. i don't know how mentally secure he was heading into houston, but by the time he got here he was a shell of a guy. he needed time to recover and i guess the plan was to sit behind and be mentored by an aging jake and then eventually take over. 

i think it was a good plan because carr had some real talent, but mentally he was beaten down. the problem was that jake got beat up by tommy johns and carr had to take over. they brought in vinny to take pressure off, but vinny was about ready to start receiving social security checks and enroll in medicare so he was limited in what he could do. 

carr had to take over before he was mentally able to and it showed. he got booed off the field and then got put on the injured list missing a game because of "fragile psyche." 

essentially, he wasn't mentally ready to play when he got here and he was forced into it and it was a disaster for him and the team.

the biggest difference between carr and darnold is the mental shape they were/are in when they got here. darnold got out before he was damaged goods and it seems like he's got a stronger mental foundation than carr did. 

I remember seeing him drop back, a perfect pocket would set up around him and then his internal clock would go off. He was so clearly broken.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I remember seeing him drop back, a perfect pocket would set up around him and then his internal clock would go off. He was so clearly broken.

i really felt bad for the guy, especially after getting booed off the field here.

i remember his brother used to post in here when david first got here during training camp and he was so proud of david and you could tell he was really trying to pump the guy up in every way he could, but there was too much damage done. 

• Beer 3

Just now, rayzor said:

i really felt bad for the guy, especially after getting booed off the field here.

i remember his brother used to post in here when david first got here during training camp and he was so proud of david and you could tell he was really trying to pump the guy up in every way he could, but there was too much damage done. 

Yeah, any QB that takes that kind of beating is gonna be permanently scarred by it. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

There are similarities with Carr but he was 28 when he got to Carolina so for the sake of context he started his nfl career one year younger than Sam is now who has already played three seasons. That isn't to say that can't happen to Darnold but David just didn't get out of that situation in time to turn things around he was battered mentally. The white gloves didn't help.

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah my main memories of David Carr are him dropping back, patting the ball once or twice, and then bailing out of the pocket and just rolling... and rolling... and rolling... and then either stepping out of bounds or throwing the ball away.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

The lack of protection for Carr was awful, but believe it or not there were some pretty big issues with his coaching as well.

For whatever reason, OC Chris Palmer and the original Texans staff decided not to try and teach him to read defenses. The plays were just designed for him to throw to a particular spot.

That changed at some point but by then it was likely too late.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The lack of protection for Carr was awful, but believe it or not there were some pretty big issues with his coaching as well.

For whatever reason, OC Chris Palmer and the original Texans staff decided not to try and teach him to read defenses. The plays were just designed for him to throw to a particular spot.

That changed at some point but by then it was likely too late.

there were no redeeming qualities about that team. pure poo on all levels for years. much of the reason for that trainwreck was charlie casserly who was engineering that whole thing. that's why i can't stand listening to anything he says. he has NO credibility whatsoever.

• Beer 1