• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much of the Jets performance was really on Darnold?

SBBlue

29 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I never claimed not to be an asshole.

Anyway, I did make an assumption that you were simply a USC fan that followed your player into the league based on your single player post history here. 

If I simply do a post history search you literally only discuss him. That doesn't strike me as much of a Jets fan or a Panthers fan.

I'm not a USC fan.

In fact, I'm 43 years old and can count on one hand throughout my entire life the number of times I've watched a College Football Game.

And I can direct you to the Jets website (a website called The Hampur; New York Jets Hampur, that is) where I have over 18,000+ posts under the name vin (with a Vinny avatar).    So don't assume what I am or am not based on post-count on this board when I just started. 

I told you and everyone else that I came here because I believed the Jets did Sam dirty and decided to finally leave that franchise for good because of it.  It's not so much I'm a Darnold fan as it is that I want Sam to succeed here and then stomp a mudhole in the Jets by doing so in Week 1 and by being successful here in Carolina also the rest of the way. 

It's basically SPITE that drives me.  FK THE JETS!

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 3
  • Poo 1

50 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Well the extra 2 wins are predicated on a combination of a healthy/available CMC + generally upgraded personnel due to the passing of a new year...

...so, not much.  

We have 10 games against teams with losing records last year and apparently people are expecting Dallas, Pats and Vikings to become winners.   Winning 7 of those games seems very reasonable.  

The Saints might revert with the player losses they had, maybe we can pick up one there.  

Last year the mark was 5.5, we ended with 5.  

Now the mark is 7.5...7 seems right, but being a fan, I have to go with 8.

• Beer 1

43 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I'm not a USC fan.

In fact, I'm 43 years old and can count on one hand throughout my entire life the number of times I've watched a College Football Game.

And I can direct you to the Jets website (a website called The Hampur; New York Jets Hampur, that is) where I have over 18,000+ posts under the name vin (with a Vinny avatar).    So don't assume what I am or am not based on post-count on this board when I just started. 

I told you and everyone else that I came here because I believed the Jets did Sam dirty and decided to finally leave that franchise for good because of it.  It's not so much I'm a Darnold fan as it is that I want Sam to succeed here and then stomp a mudhole in the Jets by doing so in Week 1 and by being successful here in Carolina also the rest of the way. 

Yeah, was going to say...you can be a fanboy of a particular player, and not be a fan of his college team.  Stands to reason plenty of nfl fans would be big fans of a USC player, or any other player not out of your college.  Historically, USC has sent more players to the NFL, and the most PLAYERS in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  

I was a huge Joe Montana fan, but you dare accuse me of being a Domer, I’d swing at you with my purse! 😂

Edited by 1usctrojan
  • Pie 1

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

They have actually had 11 winning seasons since 1995(last in 2015 at 10-6) and 7 playoff appearances. 

Sooooooo........that statement kind of applies to us too, right?

I think we are currently in better shape, but yeah....that overall record....it is what it is. We are what our record says we are.

We have to prove we're better.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

5 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

I told you and everyone else that I came here because I believed the Jets did Sam dirty and decided to finally leave that franchise for good because of it.

Real Jets fans NEVER "leave"...!!

It's a lifetime commitment 😉

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

...but let's widen range to entire league --- has there ever been a QB drafted top-3 who only failed with his initial team...was given up on and traded for a paltry round 2 pick...

...and then went on to have a great career at his very next stop?

I'm sure there is but I can't think of who he might be...

There was this guy named Farve.  Then Vinny left the Bucs and went to the Jets and he was pretty good.  There was this guy named Young with the 49ers.  Jeff George was an asshole, but when he left the Colts and went to the Falcons he was pretty good.  I am not even going to go back to guys like Plunkett.  Then Tannehill, but everyone uses him as an example now.

You must have just started watching the NFL yesterday I guess.

• Pie 2

57 minutes ago, bababoey said:

There was this guy named Farve.  Then Vinny left the Bucs and went to the Jets and he was pretty good.  There was this guy named Young with the 49ers.  Jeff George was an asshole, but when he left the Colts and went to the Falcons he was pretty good.  I am not even going to go back to guys like Plunkett.  Then Tannehill, but everyone uses him as an example now.

What's exciting is some of those come-backs were immediate and powerful.  I think Vinny took the jets to the AFC championship the first year.   Tannehill went to the AFC championship his first year with the titans.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, bababoey said:
10 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

...but let's widen range to entire league --- has there ever been a QB drafted top-3 who only failed with his initial team...was given up on and traded for a paltry round 2 pick...

...and then went on to have a great career at his very next stop?

I'm sure there is but I can't think of who he might be...

Expand  

You left out the key info:

"...has there ever been a QB drafted top-3 who only failed with his initial team...was given up on and traded for a paltry round 2 pick...

...and then went on to have a great career at his very next stop?"

"Favre" was a 2nd round pick and had GREAT success from the get-go so obviously not relevant.

Young sat for 5-years at his 2nd stop before taking over a juggernaut...again, not relevant.

Vinnie went 16-15 at stop #2 and 8-20-1 at stop #3...he did have a modicum of success at stop #4, with the NY Jets no less!

George was 16-19 at stop #2 and 7-16 at stop #3.

Tannehill wasn't a top-3 pick...he did finally win more than 8-games in his 8th season in the league (2nd season at stop #2).

Plunkett was 11-15 at stop #2.  

Any other suggestions?

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

What's exciting is some of those come-backs were immediate and powerful.  I think Vinny took the jets to the AFC championship the first year.   Tannehill went to the AFC championship his first year with the titans.

A point of absolute frustration for my part back then as I truly believed if they could've gotten past John Elway and the Broncos, they would've flattened the Falcons in the SB that year.

Then Vinny tore his achilles and that was all she wrote.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, SBBlue said:

What's exciting is some of those come-backs were immediate and powerful. 

I think Vinny took the jets to the AFC championship the first year. 

Tannehill went to the AFC championship his first year with the titans.

Which ones?

At age-35 Testaverde did take Jets to AFC Championship in his 1st season with the franchise but it was his 13th year in the League and stop #4 on the train ride  

As for Tannehill, year-8 in NFL and 2nd year with Titans...first time in 8-seasons he won more than 8-games.

Edited by SizzleBuzz

30 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Which ones?

At age-35 Testaverde did take Jets to AFC Championship in his 1st season with the franchise but it was his 13th year in the League and stop #4 on the train ride  

As for Tannehill, year-8 in NFL and 2nd year with Titans...first time in 8-seasons he won more than 8-games.

I'm not sure what your point is.  Are you saying that just because this is his second stop after only 3 years  of being drafted top 3 with the Jets that this type of rebound is unlikely because it hasn't succeeded before?

This is the first time in NFL history a team has selected a QB twice in the top-three in a span of four drafts....ever. 

So yes, there have been no success in this exact scenario, but there haven't been any failures.  The jets have discovered a new level of f-ed up.  Congratulations NY Jets, you've made another record.

Edited by SBBlue

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

This is the first time in NFL history a team has selected a QB twice in the top-three in a span of four drafts....ever. 

Congratulations NY Jets, you've made another record.

If true, excellent point there...good onya mate!

Jets are for sure FUBAR, trust me I know.

OK, so let's widen the aperture...

...has there ever been a QB picked in 1st-round who was cast adrift before the end of his rookie contract...

...and...

...has gone on to be a starter and smashing success with his 2nd team?

Doing so is certainly within the set of possible outcomes for Sam but just curious if there's any precedent, at all.

Edited by SizzleBuzz