• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much of the Jets performance was really on Darnold?

SBBlue

51 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

We got Jake at 28, so let's say Darnold takes a year to get ramped up and hits his stride in 2022 at 24 years old. I wouldn't mind four additional years (younger years vs. older years) of a Delhomme-esque QB with the weapons we have around him.

I don't think Darnold has long to prove himself. If he is mediocre to bad this season, he is probably not going to be a Panther in 2022.

This staff doesn't seem to have any desire to keep guys around that don't play at the level they need them to nor do they appear to want to preside over losing teams.

2021 is a make it or break it year for Darnold.

• Pie 3

37 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think Darnold has long to prove himself. If he is mediocre to bad this season, he is probably not going to be a Panther in 2022.

This staff doesn't seem to have any desire to keep guys around that don't play at the level they need them to nor do they appear to want to preside over losing teams.

Well said

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It always has been - I just think that breaking point isn't Pro Bowler like some would have you believe. 

They'll want to see a consistent QB who follows instruction and improves week on week. If he's not better in Week 18 than he is in Week 1 we have a problem. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

It always has been - I just think that breaking point isn't Pro Bowler like some would have you believe. 

They'll want to see a consistent QB who follows instruction and improves week on week. If he's not better in Week 18 than he is in Week 1 we have a problem. 

I don't think he has to be a Pro Bowler but he has to be close to Jake Delhomme. We all love Jake but that isn't a high bar to clear. 

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

21 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think he has to be a Pro Bowler but he has to be close to Jake Delhomme. We all love Jake but that isn't a high bar to clear. 

He just has to win games- and demonstrate that he can win more. This is why Teddy is gone. He didn't win games and the staff didn't believe that he had the Mojo to win games. If Sam shows he has the Mojo then he's gonna be here for awhile. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

He just has to win games- and demonstrate that he can win more. This is why Teddy is gone. He didn't win games and the staff didn't believe that he had the Mojo to win games. If Sam shows he has the Mojo then he's gonna be here for awhile. 

True. Ultimately it will boil down to winning. If he can win us games, his tenure will extend to 2022. If not, he'll be shipped out like Teddy was.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

True. Ultimately it will boil down to winning. If he can win us games, his tenure will extend to 2022. If not, he'll be shipped out like Teddy was.

Yes but I think he will get a little longer leash due to his age. I really do believe that they see him much like a rookie they just drafted except that he has NFL experience but has never been properly coached. They basically said as much in the documentary and Rhule repeated something similar during a recent interview. Show progress from our coaching. I've added that he also has to show the Mojo or Swagger as many say because in the end wins are the bottom line. I personally believe he has the Mojo and with this team he is going to become the Franchise QB everyone thought he was. I've seen enough special plays from him to envision he becoming that guy with this organization. 

22 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Yes but I think he will get a little longer leash due to his age. I really do believe that they see him much like a rookie they just drafted except that he has NFL experience but has never been properly coached. They basically said as much in the documentary and Rhule repeated something similar during a recent interview. Show progress from our coaching. I've added that he also has to show the Mojo or Swagger as many say because in the end wins are the bottom line. I personally believe he has the Mojo and with this team he is going to become the Franchise QB everyone thought he was. I've seen enough special plays from him to envision he becoming that guy with this organization. 

I don't think he will get any longer leash than he is the only option this season. 

It's basically him or nothing.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think he will get any longer leash than he is the only option this season. 

I do.

For one, PR is right. Whether fans agree with the idea or not, the team is basically treating him like a rookie.

Also throw in that they picked up his fifth year option for next year.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I do.

For one, PR is right. Whether fans agree with the idea or not, the team is basically treating him like a rookie.

Also throw in that they picked up his fifth year option for next year.

And they signed Teddy to a three year deal. 

The one thing that is true is that the staff has shown very little patience for players that aren't it. If Darnold isn't it, he won't be here.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

And they signed Teddy to a three year deal. 

The one thing that is true is that the staff has shown very little patience for players that aren't it. If Darnold isn't it, he won't be here.

Not the same staff.

Rhule and Fitterer reviewed Darnold's entire career before trading for him, and also asked themselves what they needed to do to support him. Throw in Matt Rhule saying stuff like "every throw is not a referendum".

I know some fans don't believe in him, and some of us (like me) don't know yet, but the team has shown a certain level of commitment that tells me he'll get a shot, and patience.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Not the same staff.

Rhule and Fitterer reviewed Darnold's entire career before trading for him, and also asked themselves what they needed to do to support him. Throw in Matt Rhule saying stuff like "every throw is not a referendum".

I know some fans don't believe in him, and some of us (like me) don't know yet, but the team has shown a certain level of commitment that tells me he'll get a shot, and patience.

We changed staff since last year?

You are assuming they are married to Darnold. I am very doubtful that is the case. They seem to be married to winning and success. If Darnold isn't the guy in 2021, he'll be gone in 2022. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Oh, you know, you just hate to admit when you're wrong. 

download (2).jpeg

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We changed staff since last year?

You are assuming they are married to Darnold. I am very doubtful that is the case. They seem to be married to winning and success. If Darnold isn't the guy in 2021, he'll be gone in 2022. 

I think he's the guy, but if he's not they aren't going to hold on to him for years trying to prove he is. 

This isn't Hurney's team anymore. It's not Rivera or Fox's team. These guys will make bold moves to try and find the right guy and move on quickly if it doesn't pan out.

• Beer 2