• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much of the Jets performance was really on Darnold?

SBBlue

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I think he's the guy, but if he's not they aren't going to hold on to him for years trying to prove he is. 

This isn't Hurney's team anymore. It's not Rivera or Fox's team. These guys will make bold moves to try and find the right guy and move on quickly if it doesn't pan out.

Agreed. I was very concerned about Teddy's contract but the way they saw that go down makes me a lot less anxious about Darnold. We don't have to worry about him being a long term bad investment. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, SOJA said:

I mean it's not hard to imagine Darnold significantly improving just by leaving the Jets. The question is flat out is he better than Justin Fields? If he isn't we made the wrong choice. 

Well, if Fields is a superstar and Darnold is still a very good QB, I think that becomes a situation where we might be a little envious but as long as we are successful, it doesn't matter much.

The nightmare scenario is that Darnold remains Darnold and Fields looks like one of the leagues budding stars. In that case, we will be very much regretting passing on Fields, regardless of how good Horn is likely to be.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, SOJA said:

I mean it's not hard to imagine Darnold significantly improving just by leaving the Jets. The question is flat out is he better than Justin Fields? If he isn't we made the wrong choice. 

9ers traded up, so we'd be looking at 4th or 5th choice at QB.  Stafford fell thru, Watson fell thru.  Fit and Rhule had studied Darnold because  they interviewed for jobs in NY and needed to understand their situation.  They saw the flashes on the tape, saw these stats and concluded that we have another Tannehill.

Once they committed to the Tannehill conclusion....the math became easy Darnold+Horn>Fields.  

Many analysts including all 4 at ESPN on draft day said Darnold should be the #2 pick in this years draft:

Many jets fans think Darnold is going to ball out here.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 3

BTW I heard a stat where the jets have the worst injury rate over the last 3 years.  The best I could find online was this on the 19-20 season:

The New York Jets led the league in starters lost by a wide margin, with 126. Next were Miami (86), Carolina (75), Houston (70) and Chicago (64).

Good health often helps teams win. Seven of the top 10 teams that lost the fewest games by starters made the playoffs. Only two of the bottom 10 teams – Houston and San Francisco (62) – made the playoffs.

...just another last place for the jets ...and we weren't much better.

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

The question is flat out is he better than Justin Fields? If he isn't we made the wrong choice. 

He doesn't have to be better than Fields for it to have been the right choice, he just has to not be significantly worse. Remember, the equation is: Darnold + Horn > Fields. 

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

He doesn't have to be better than Fields for it to have been the right choice, he just has to not be significantly worse. Remember, the equation is: Darnold + Horn > Fields. 

Not sure what happened there.  You replied to a quote attributed to me, but it was @SOJA post in the quote.

Funny thing is I posted the same in my reply...we are betting the Darnold is the next Tannehill and 

Darnold + Horn > Fields.

• Pie 2

Just now, SBBlue said:

Not sure what happened there.  You replied to a quote attributed to me, but it was @SOJA post in the quote.

Funny thing is I posted the same in my reply...we are betting the Darnold is the next Tannehill and 

Darnold + Horn > Fields.

Yikes, I think that's my bad. I think I highlighted that particular statement in the quoted post you responded to. Sorry about that.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, if Fields is a superstar and Darnold is still a very good QB, I think that becomes a situation where we might be a little envious but as long as we are successful, it doesn't matter much.

The nightmare scenario is that Darnold remains Darnold and Fields looks like one of the leagues budding stars. In that case, we will be very much regretting passing on Fields, regardless of how good Horn is likely to be.

exactly that's why I'm terrified

• Pie 1

On 6/3/2021 at 2:10 PM, iamhubby1 said:

My favorite one is "I don't expect much, but I hope he proves me wrong". lol   Way to cover the ol buttocks. If he fails , you're covered. If he succeeds, you're covered. 

Another great ‘Profiles in Courage’.

2 minutes ago, SOJA said:

exactly that's why I'm terrified

What is more likely:

1)Darnold with a better oline, wrs, running back, OC and HC plays much better than Bridgewater....along with JC Horn improving our secondary substantially.

or

2)The 4th QB chosen in the draft from Ohio State goes to the BEARS and balls out.

If I had to pick, I say 1 is more likely.

• Beer 2

19 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think he has to be a Pro Bowler but he has to be close to Jake Delhomme. We all love Jake but that isn't a high bar to clear. 

True, but Jake 1.0 was sufficient to get us to the Big Dance.  If Darnold can become Jake 2.0, it will be hard to argue that the trade for him was a bust.  Consistent playoff appearances should be a reasonable metric for success.  YMMV.

Edited by bythenbrs
  • Pie 2