• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much of the Jets performance was really on Darnold?

SBBlue

6 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

In the last 50-years there have been 10 QB's drafted at #3.

The majority have been busts and only 2 ever started more than 50-games and produced an overall winning record (Matt Ryan & Steve McNair). 

image.png.b35af380fa4d41b7610d63d986420170.png

So you're saying there is a chance gif

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

What gives me hope is the praise from very good NFL defensive players (Sherman, JJ Watt, Clooney,etc) who played against him.  Your HC stated that the defensive coaches went to him regarding Sam.  In college, our first team defense raved to anyone who’d listen, about Sam on the scout team.  

QBs play against defenses, for me, their praise means more than a QBs offensive teammates’ praise.

They just want the damn ball (Keyshawn reference here), defenses want to destroy the opposing QB.

Not a bad way to form your opinion. There is potential there. Going to be fun watching this play out.

• Pie 2

Some NFL Scouts had a higher draft grade on Sam Darnold than those of Wilson and Fields. Wilson produced one great season against a "cupcake schedule," according to them. Fields had a couple of poor games in 2020, raising eyebrows.

Sam came out with a high grade and he has shown flashes he can be a really good quarterback. He hasn't had much around him.

Now you think about the change to a better Panthers team and that makes me feel he has shown enough to warrant the benefit of the doubt.
Edited by KatsAzz
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, KatsAzz said:
Some NFL Scouts had a higher draft grade on Sam Darnold than those of Wilson and Fields. Wilson produced one great season against a "cupcake schedule," according to them. Fields had a couple of poor games in 2020, raising eyebrows.

Sam came out with a high grade and he has shown flashes he can be a really good quarterback. He hasn't had much around him.

Now you think about the change to a better Panthers team and all that and I feel he has shown enough to warrant the benefit of the doubt.

Fields and Wilson haven't shown anything at the NFL level, so they aren't great comparisons in the preseason. After the year, those will be valid comparisons because they have had to prove it at the NFL level like Darnold has(or hasn't) for three seasons. 

It doesn't really matter if we give him the benefit of the doubt or not. He's our unquestioned starting QB for 2021 and we are just going to have to see what happens. 

For his sake(and ours), we better hope that OL has improved in the offseason. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, SizzleBuzz said:

We all want him to succeed.

You seem to believe anyone not in your little camp of unbridled-cockeyed-optimists is by default looking for Sam to fail...

...this just isn't the case.

The odds are heavily stacked against Sam and acknowledging such is OK.

Noticed you never replied to my answer to your earlier question.   Maybe you just like typing out the word "cockeyed" or something. 🤔

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 2

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, it would be different had he had even the background a guy like Trubisky did(who had an 11-3 season and a Pro Bowl). Almost all of Sam's time in the NFL has been failing. 

He isn't any different than our current whipping boy, Greg Little. Eventually all the potential and hope become, "What have you done for us?"

That's why this is likely a do or die year for Darnold. He has to show something from what made him a top 10 pick. He is in a better situation overall, although sadly I don't think our offensive line is going to be a big upgrade. But, eventually you just have to be better than your circumstances if you want to be an elite player in the NFL. 

Your offensive line is better than the line he had in NY, all three years he played there.  His mobility should help, so one less excuse others can make for him.

• Beer 3

9 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

Your offensive line is better than the line he had in NY, all three years he played there.  His mobility should help, so one less excuse others can make for him.

It may be, it may not be. TBD. 

The scheme will be better, even if it isn't.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It may be, it may not be. TBD. 

The scheme will be better, even if it isn't.

I know.  You can have one or two star players on the offensive line...but all it takes is one defensive player to break through a weak link and put a QB on his back, or worse.  

I may just be a CFB fan, but I’ve seen several great OL men play up close....Munoz, Boselli, Ron Yary, Bruce Matthews, Tyron Smith and many more pro bowl players, we have a traditional of great OL...but they must play as a cohesive unit.  Hoping for the best.

14 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

I know.  You can have one or two star players on the offensive line...but all it takes is one defensive player to break through a weak link and put a QB on his back, or worse.  

I may just be a CFB fan, but I’ve seen several great OL men play up close....Munoz, Boselli, Ron Yary, Bruce Matthews, Tyron Smith and many more pro bowl players, we have a traditional of great OL...but they must play as a cohesive unit.  Hoping for the best.

Our line is a stud RT, a good center and three question marks. 

If we can get at least two answers from those questions, we could be on to something.

• Pie 2

Are you for real, @SizzleBuzz?

What was *MY* question?

I was referring to a question *YOU* asked me (which I responded to)!

Your Question

Conversely...

...what did he ever do to earn your unbridled cockeyed optimism?

My ANSWER (in which I quoted the MAIN POST of this thread) :

3 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Did you even read this at all (see below)?

With all that crap going on, it's amazing he managed to have more TDs than INTs for that sh-tstain franchise the last 2 seasons.   It's a testament to his talent that at certain points he made chicken salad out of chicken s--t and I'm believing that here he'll be making not only chicken salad but Filet Mignon as this team is going to enable him to be the QB a good many were expecting when he came out of College.

And I love Seinfeld (though their bloopers are even funnier).

Edited by glenwo2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Are you for real, @SizzleBuzz?

What was *MY* question?

I was referring to a question *YOU* asked me (which I responded to)!

Your Question

Conversely...

...what did he ever do to earn your unbridled cockeyed optimism?

My ANSWER (in which I quoted the MAIN POST of this thread) :

And I love Seinfeld (though their bloopers are even funnier).

Oh, yeah...

...that cockeyed pablum didn't/doesn't warrant a response.

(beer given for the Seinfeld notation)

Edited by SizzleBuzz