• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much of the Jets performance was really on Darnold?

SBBlue

Stats prove the Jets and Gase were what everyone knew they were

…and that’s all good but it doesn’t matter now unless we are trying to convince ourselves Darnold won’t be a bust here 

For the good of the franchise, I hope he isn’t but he needs to do something positive as a leader on the field 

Should Fields light it up, and I understand from various articles Tepper wanted Fields, the Panthers will be right back where they where in 2019 and Rhule’s judgement on the QB evaluation process would be highly suspect and should be 

Darnold needs to do it on  the field now  this year.  The Panthers OLine Is  not loaded with all pros but they aren’t all tragic either   Offensive players calling and alignments can help with that too.  We know this 

IMO   Enough excuses for  a pro athlete   Do it, or take a seat with Teddy 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1

5 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

…and that’s all good but it doesn’t matter now unless we are trying to convince ourselves Darnold won’t be a bust here 

I agree a lot with your post.

The OP is not trying to prove that he won't be a bust....  Basically when this was posted, there was a lot of shtposting on Darnold.  I'm trying to make the point, that we really don't know what the kid has got...give him a chance.  

take a seat with Teddy 

Don't sleep on Teddy, I wouldn't be surprised if he beats out Locke.  Now if Rodgers heads there, well....

Pick 6: Odds Drew Lock or Teddy Bridgewater will be Broncos’ starting quarterback, Avalanche win Stanley Cup – The Denver Post

It took Tannehill a bit to shake off the Gase.  But once he found his spot in Nashville, he aint looked back.  I dont expect Darnold to carve up defenses and win shootouts against KC, what I expect is more than what we had before.  To get better.  Thats it.  To what degree is why we watch the games.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Found this older video on Sam.  I cant shake the feeling we stole a quality starting QB.  Like, stole.

That video is excellent.  It really deserves its own thread....I know its old, but what are we talking about now anyways?

The question in the back of my mind is did the Jets break him?  

The way he played against the Browns and Rams late last year seems to indicate that he isn't broken.

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Found this older video on Sam.  I cant shake the feeling we stole a quality starting QB.  Like, stole.

Here's Shomler's take on the trade as well.

He's very high on Sam Darnold after doing his analysis on him and thinks he is a perfect fit here.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

That video is excellent.  It really deserves its own thread....I know its old, but what are we talking about now anyways?

The question in the back of my mind is did the Jets break him?  

The way he played against the Browns and Rams late last year seems to indicate that he isn't broken.

By all means, make it a thread if ya like.  I dont do that very often.  

The Jets didn't have enough time to David Carr, Sam.  He would have been shaky those first years anyway given his age.  

The kid has the tools he was just surrounded by poo.  literal piles of poo.

Think about going to work everyday to a job youre good at.  Now imagine working for a boss that knows less than you telling you what to do and he wants you to do it with tools that aren't right for the job.

Now imagine getting transferred to another branch where your boss is knowledgeable and looks to get you the best tools with which to perform at the highest level possible.

Improvement can be expected, right?  It should be.

Watching the Jets-Rams game from last year and... Sam is for sure rough around the edges. He had his moments, but his play just seems so... sloppy? However, the dude can make things happen when the play breaks down. I wonder how much better his development would've been had he had actual protection and WRs that could hold on to the ball (he had an awesome play where he scrambled around, launched it deep, and his WR dropped it -_-).

Pat Elflein stood out as bad tho... he was regularly bull rushed into the backfield and seemed to struggle in pass pro. Running plays where he was allowed to leak to the second level he looked better, but I need that man to protect Sam better than he did last year (at least during this game).

Frank Luvu was unremarkable, though he did get TATTOO'D by the RB in pass pro while trying to blitz on one play. I've only gotten through the first half, so maybe he starts to look better later in the game.

Morgan Fox looks like he could be a quietly solid acquisition. Good feet and change of direction for a guy lining up inside. 

23 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

Improvement can be expected, right?  It should be.

Sam should improve.  If ever there was a case that QB went from a bad situation to a good one, this is it.

CMC, DJ, Robbie, Arnold ,and D Moore and then if  Marshal, Tremble and Shi Smith pan out...look out.

I'm more worried about the oline than Sam. 

BC, Brown, and Moore are real wild cards here.  I wonder if all 3 are starting before year end.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

BC, Brown, and Moore are real wild cards here.  I wonder if all 3 are starting before year end

I don’t think it would be necessarily a good thing if they were.  That would most likely mean poor play or injury ahead of them.  I hope a group emerges and solidifies in camp.  Then pray they can stay healthy.

• Pie 2