• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Special teams be "Special" This Year?

Michael G

So our core special teams most likely will be:

K- Joey Slye

P- J. Charlton

LS- T. Fletcher (Unless Jansen has him assassinated or he just starts snapping to ball into the ground during camp)

KR/PR- Shi Smith/T. Cannon (or maybe some other guys depending on camp battles)

Will these guys be special? Does anyone foresee it shaking out differently? Please tell me what you think. 

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1

I cannot forsee us going in to the season with the guy who was statistically speaking in the bottom third of the league in FG% last year.  That just screams awful to me.  Bonkers.  Slye wasn't even "the best of the rest".  You gotta try to get better.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

3 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I cannot forsee us going in to the season with the guy who was statistically speaking in the bottom third of the league in FG% last year.  That just screams awful to me.  Bonkers.  Slye wasn't even "the best of the rest".  You gotta try to get better.

I was thinking they'd be at least some competition in camp but they already let the other K they brought in (M. Amendola) go. Right now its Joey Slye's show again.

Edited by Michael G

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rhule's post practice presser the other day left me feeling like they're definitely not that strongly tied to Joey Slye.

There was a lot of his famous "coach speak" in that presser. He said that Matt Amendola (UDFA Kicker from last year) was brought in for Rookie Mini Camp and did a "Great Job"- They cut him after mini-camp.

He then said that Slye needs to "focus" after he used a golf analogy where the golfer takes two swings and they take the better of the two. He was basically saying Slye was too inconsistent, because you don't get 2 kicks and only the best one counts.

But right now Sly is the only kicker on the roster so Im guessing Matt Amendola didn't really do a "Great Job" in mini camp, or maybe they wanted to use the roster spot to look at other people during OTA's knowing they can bring Amendola back in later, if Slye is kicking erratically in Camp.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1

18 hours ago, BrianS said:

He literally cost us games and will cost us games in the future.  Slye is a liability.  When I see how Butker and Gano are doing...smh....we shanked that one.

• Pie 3

20 hours ago, Michael G said:

So our core special teams most likely will be:

K- Joey Slye

P- J. Charlton

LS- T. Fletcher (Unless Jansen has him assassinated or he just starts snapping to ball into the ground during camp)

KR/PR- Shi Smith/T. Cannon (or maybe some other guys depending on camp battles)

Will these guys be special? Does anyone foresee it shaking out differently? Please tell me what you think. 

Everyone just lists these obvious positions, but it's the guys doing the blocking, the gunning, and the coaching that make the biggest difference. 

• Pie 4

The entire special teams are no doubt important. Its why we brought back J. Stanford and the main reason B. Zylstra has a shot to make the roster again. Its just more noticeable how a kicker or returner performs. A lot of Bubble guys will make the roster based solely on their ability and willingness to contribute on special teams.

• Pie 1