• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former NFL LB makes Bold Statement on Panthers Defense

I am pretty optimistic about our defense.  We went from 31st in 2019 to 18th in 2020.  Effectively, the defense is already "average".  And we *clearly* got better.

My questions all center around who is in the middle of it all.  If Perryman can just not be Tahir Whitehead we'll be a LOT better.  We got gashed over and over in the run game because Whitehead was just awful. 

Stopping the run shorter will make distances longer, make the QB hold the ball a little longer.  Better coverage on the back end will make the QB hold the ball a little longer.  And after watching our line last year, they only need just a LITTLE more time to get home and our defense is gonna be legit.

• Pie 4

The only thing that "should" stop this defense is the injury bug.  If they stay healthy and progress as they should, they have the potential to be nasty.  Learn to get off the field on 3rd down and create a few more turnovers and honestly Top 5 this year could happen IMO. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

The only thing that "should" stop this defense is the injury bug.  If they stay healthy and progress as they should, they have the potential to be nasty.  Learn to get off the field on 3rd down and create a few more turnovers and honestly Top 5 this year could happen IMO. 

Idk about top 5. Top 10 is already taking a leap. Maybe top 5 in 2022 if the defense continues to improve. But with a rookie CB out there in the CB1 spot, Plus im a lil on the fence about phil snow. It might not be a prove it year for him, but he will have to show me something. I think definite top 15, highly likely top 10, and very unlikely but possible top 5. Nothing is impossible.  

54 minutes ago, BrianS said:

And after watching our line last year, they only need just a LITTLE more time to get home and our defense is gonna be legit.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Even early on last year when we weren't getting many sacks we were one of the best teams as far as generating pressure (QB Hits). Burns and the boys just missed on so many of those.

Daquan Jones will fill the middle as a run stuffer and Perryman should help there as well. His specialty at SD seemed to be playing downhill and blowing up the run and screen game.

• Pie 1

I think this defense is going to be amazing and fun to watch. Here's why.

Outstanding veterans added at a reasonable price that fit our scheme.

Horn will be our shutdown corner that we have been missing since Bradbury left. 

Snow will has two compete CBs to maneuver around to play the #2 and Slot. 

Chinn playing his natural position plus filling hybrid spots as necessary.  

We'll have a great DT and DE rotation that will keep our guys fresh all game.

I think our CB are going to make the QBs hold the ball just a split second longer but long enough to turn the QB pressures we had last year in to QB sack. 

I think Snow is going to show how good of a defensive coordinator he really is.  He'll have all the tools that he needs and is going to make things difficult for opposing teams. 

I am excited to see our offense but more excited to see how good this defense will be. 

• Beer 2

If the trends Rhule has set at the college level continue into his pro career we should have a very good year on both sides of the ball, and challenge for a playoff spot this year. Then next year will be the season we really start to dominate and challenge for NFC and Super Bowl championships.  I already see the same sort of process panning out here. Gonna be a fun ride boys and girls!

21 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Let's not get too carried away with that line of thought. If they are a top 11-15 defense, that isn't a failure. 

These guys are still really young and we still have big question marks in most of the position groups. 

It isn't fair to saddle them with that kind of expectation, IMO. I think we should be hopeful they can achieve that but not upset if they don't. 

@CarolinaLivinstarts a thread to get folks a little optimistic and excited about the Defense, and you swoop in to put the ol kibosh on that. Can't you let the kids have just a little fun? After all, this is the time of year for fans to be excited for the coming season.

Optimism is not a disease.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

@CarolinaLivinstarts a thread to get folks a little optimistic and excited about the Defense, and you swoop in to put the ol kibosh on that. Can't you let the kids have just a little fun? After all, this is the time of year for fans to be excited for the coming season.

Optimism is not a disease.

This is superbowl season for losing teams.... which we are...at the moment.

2 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

This is superbowl season for losing teams.... which we are...at the moment.

Actually, at the moment, we are 0-0. Neither winning nor losing. lol

A whole lotta folks believe we just may be a winning team this year. That thinking aligns with mine, so I am going with that.

• Pie 1