• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen’s grade per the Panthers

ncfan

17 hours ago, Basbear said:

I just seen where the loins have place Sewell at right with intent of keeping him there at least this year. Sewell said its a huge deal and has to re-learn everything. I still wanted him, but I learned long ago.......your 2nd 3rd pick has a better career than your 1st want plenty times. 

Yeah, saw that too.

I get what they're thinking but still...

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

Rhule and also Darnold have about as an ideal a situation as possible for both to succeed against historical odds.

I don't know if I'd go that far. The OL is still a work in progress.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

I think two of the big problems with the transition has been

1) failure to adapt to a different game (though it's still fundamentally the same game and pro level is starting to look more like the college game do that's less of an issue).

Probably a bigger problem has been 2) a disconnect with someone accustomed to dealing with young players vs. long term pro vets who, as time goes on and for lack of better wording, become entitled. Leading and motivating those two groups takes different skill sets. But look at what has happened to the roster. It's young...very young.

Essentially all of the old guard is gone. With the exception of maybe CMC, DJax and Shaq, who has been around for more than a few years? Instead of stepping into an established culture, they have the opportunity to create a new culture with young players.

And if Fitt and Rhule are as good at identifying and developing young talent as it appears or as advertised, there's no reason we wouldn't be able to constantly churn the roster and keep plenty of room on the cap, keeping only a few key players long term rather than being desperate to keep as many players as possible forever. If Rhule and his staff work better with young talent, they should be able to keep that roster filled with young talent.

well said 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't know of I'd go that far. The OL is still a work in progress.

yes, but they weren't horrible last year. kind of middle of thee pack. they should be better this year. but yeah...the OL is the only thing that could hold him/them back, but i still don't think it will be much of a hinderance to their success.

10 hours ago, rayzor said:

For me it's been a breathe of fresh air. Both Rhule and Fitt fit the young, progressive, and analytical model I've been dreaming about for well over a decade.

I'm all in because I'm seeing the things I was hoping I'd see. They've been unpredictable in a lot of ways which has been invigorating. 

This is a panthers team being put together and run totally different than anything we've seen before. 

I'm not expecting immediate be success. What I expect is a leadership that is constantly working to improve what they do rather than hold on like a pit bull to some ancient style of doing things.

A big thing for me is they aren't afraid to recognize and move on from mistakes and in that they instantly become better than anything we've had before.

If folks would just shed their fear of the past. They just might enjoy what is going on up in here.

The talent level has risen noticeably. The enthusiasm level is through the roof. The team is being run competently. Too much excitement to miss just because you are projecting past fears on the present team.

Let the past go. This ain't your daddy's Panthers. 

• Pie 6

On 5/29/2021 at 7:03 PM, iamhubby1 said:

The talent level has risen noticeably. 

I agree, except on the Oline, where we were mediocre to begin with... which has some peopled worried.  Okung was a security blanket last year, even though he only had 7 starts.

With Little not even showing up for OTAs..another bad sign...left tackle is either rookie Christiansen, Dennis Daley, Trent Scott or last in the league rated Erving.    

Either we are not done here as @Mr. Scotsaid, or BC has a serious shot at being the LT starter very soon.  

• Pie 1

Unless something crazy happens Moton and Erving are going to be your tackles this year.  Just look at the contracts.

I would love for Christenson to become one of the best LTs in the league but you have to be realistic.

How many good LTs are there actually in the league? 10-12

How old are some of them? late 30s

How many have of them have been drafted in the last 10-15 years? 100-200

The fact is the odds are against him.  Honestly the team knows that and that is why they just didn't chase need at LT.  They probably felt really good about Sewell and after that not so much.  That is why you didn't see a Slater or Darrisaw pick.

Even if he becomes a good LT, I could see him staring as a back up or guard.  Honestly if he becomes an above average guard its a good pick.  If he becomes a decent swing tackle its a good pick.  3rd round picks are cheap.  

I'm just not convinced he is going to fulfill everyone's wish for that elite LT.

Next to QB LT is probably the hardest position to fill.  Even if you want to spend a high pick or big money in free agency there is no guarantee you are going to find one.  Even positions like edge and WR there are usually some sure things in free agency if you are willing to spend.  The same really can't be said about LTs, there just isn't many of them considered elite.

• Pie 2

On 5/28/2021 at 8:23 PM, mrcompletely11 said:

Godalmighty 

On 5/29/2021 at 12:51 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, saw that too.

I get what they're thinking but still...

I mean if Sewell was thee "best LT prospect since ______ derp derp 10 years derp " why on earth would you not place him there? So what about some vet whos a ok LT, maybe you should have picked another player if he wasnt the best since derpa derp.

I was on Sewells nuts til his arm length became public, then I broke up. I did not care any about his immature reports, its super rare for a current 20 year old not to be immature. Hes got a large family with old bros, they will fix him up....should fix him.... 

Horn had the opposite effect, he was rocket riser. I had him as the #3 CB at the very start. Fairley got another back injury....Sustain is a bama CB with questionable long game speed. Horn had a insane pro day(like about everyone), had great SEC tape and unlike Sustain had very little help around him. He still balled out. Named him #1 and verge did before me, so props for that. At the start I had Sewell as the draft came up, he was falling some. Horn was climbing hard, still wanted Sewell, but the gap between horn at the end had closed greatly. 

Plus another Horn helper is NFCS WRs >>> DEs

Edited by Basbear

On 5/31/2021 at 2:33 PM, SBBlue said:

I agree, except on the Oline, where we were mediocre to begin with... which has some peopled worried.  Okung was a security blanket last year, even though he only had 7 starts.

With Little not even showing up for OTAs..another bad sign...left tackle is either rookie Christiansen, Dennis Daley, Trent Scott or last in the league rated Erving.    

Either we are not done here as @Mr. Scotsaid, or BC has a serious shot at being the LT starter very soon.  

It really doesn't matter with Little. He probably needed an outstanding offseason to have a shot at the roster. All those healthy roster scratches last year was all I needed to see to know this staff is pretty much done with his ass. I'm honestly a little surprised they haven't just already cut him and gotten it over with already.

• Beer 2

Here's our Oline by draft position:

Erving(1), Little(2), Moton(2),  Elfein(3),  MIller(3),  Christensen(3),  Daley(6), Paradis(6),  Brown(6),  Scott(U),  Moore(U)

Don't dismiss the value placed on these earlier drafts and then treat this year's draft rank as gospel.

There’s no question that Little has second round talent, if not first.

2019 NFL Draft: The Panthers improved by drafting Greg Little and Will Grier - Cat Scratch Reader

Greg Little has excelled against premier talent for the past six years

2019 NFL Draft: Greg Little has excelled against premier talent for the past six years - Cat Scratch Reader

53 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Here's our Oline by draft position:

Erving(1), Little(2), Moton(2),  Elfein(3),  MIller(3),  Christensen(3),  Daley(6), Paradis(6),  Brown(6),  Scott(U),  Moore(U)

Don't dismiss the value placed on these earlier drafts and then treat this year's draft rank as gospel.

2019 NFL Draft: The Panthers improved by drafting Greg Little and Will Grier - Cat Scratch Reader

2019 NFL Draft: Greg Little has excelled against premier talent for the past six years - Cat Scratch Reader

Those are fan sites though. Fan sites are always going to lean towards hyping our guys. 

Little was a pretty polarizing prospect.

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Those are fan sites though. Fan sites are always going to lean towards hyping our guys. 

Non fan sites had Little graded at 2 and sometimes 1.

Who do you respect?

NFL.Com :WILL BE STARTER WITHIN FIRST TWO SEASONS

CBS: ;CBS Sports has Little as the No. 16 overall prospect and the No. 2 offensive lineman

PFN:Greg Little is a top offensive lineman in this draft and will be a top first round pick.

SI: First round

Walter Football:Player Comparison: Russell Okung

Many players were polarizing drafts, even Cam and Luke.

It wasn't just fans, and wasn't just the panthers high on Little.

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

For those of us that are draft nuts, we were the ones pitching a fit when we moved up for Little.  It was the casual fans here that couldn't understand what all the commotion was about, especially when they would Google Little and saw what his potential was SUPPOSED to be.  Key word being "supposed" because he basically plateaued in college after early success and then absolutely tanked in the pre-draft activities.  Needless to say, those of us that keep up with such things saw the red flags waiving vigorously and why we were not shocked to see Little's drop in the draft and likewise why we were absolutely baffled that Marty moved up to get him.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Non fan sites had Little graded at 2 and sometimes 1.

Who do you respect?

NFL.Com :WILL BE STARTER WITHIN FIRST TWO SEASONS

CBS: ;CBS Sports has Little as the No. 16 overall prospect and the No. 2 offensive lineman

PFN:Greg Little is a top offensive lineman in this draft and will be a top first round pick.

SI: First round

Walter Football:Player Comparison: Russell Okung

Many players were polarizing drafts, even Cam and Luke.

It wasn't just fans, and wasn't just the panthers high on Little.

Without looking at the individual links, I would assume all these rankings were written months before the draft.  I agree that by his junior year he was projected to be a future first rounder by many of the media types. However, his senior season was pedestrian, plus his combine and all-star game performances were lackluster.  Those pre-draft appearances are akin to a final job interview and he either didn't want to put the work in or his weaknesses got exposed.  Which ever one of those it was, possibly both, it caused the entire League to pump the breaks on him...except Marty Hurney.

• Beer 1