• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen’s grade per the Panthers

ncfan

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I was here for that.  Question...do you know why the archives here are absent from 2017-2019?  I was going to prove a point to this dude (even though I shouldn't have to) but when I searched "draft" it goes back to the start of 2020 and then skips all the way back to 2016.  Very odd. 

We demand answers!

43 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I was here for that.  Question...do you know why the archives here are absent from 2017-2019?  I was going to prove a point to this dude (even though I shouldn't have to) but when I searched "draft" it goes back to the start of 2020 and then skips all the way back to 2016.  Very odd. 

I wouldn't bother with this recent crop of "fans." A lot of them aren't actual Panthers fans. Definitely a question for Igo and the mods. Perhaps has to do with the recent server upgrades?

The bulk of us were here for the entire charade, so we all recall how that went down. It's kind of a pointless thing to argue anyway. Little is so clearly a bust that it's a purely academic discussion. 

No matter what we think of the free agent signings or draft picks, none of them can be as ill suited to play LT(or really anywhere on the OL) as Greg Little was. 

Hurney's lows were so unbelievably low. It's unreal.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Not absent. Just harder to get to. Think page number and date of discussion/issue/transaction. I got called a troll and was accused of having an anti-SEC bias(AUburn alum)just because I said he sucked. 

People on here just don’t want their fantasies disturbed. Everything always is a good idea. Which doesn’t really make sense if the team is 3-21 in the 2nd half of the last 3 seasons. Ignoring the possibility of mistakes is what got the Panthers where they are. But you’re one of the very few who realizes that. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Not absent. Just harder to get to. Think page number and date of discussion/issue/transaction. I got called a troll and was accused of having an anti-SEC bias(AUburn alum)just because I said he sucked. 

People on here just don’t want their fantasies disturbed. Everything always is a good idea. Which doesn’t really make sense if the team is 3-21 in the 2nd half of the last 3 seasons. Ignoring the possibility of mistakes is what got the Panthers where they are. But you’re one of the very few who realizes that. 

Careful. You'll wake the sunshine squad from their dreams of Superb Owl victories with Greg Little pancaking DE's as Sam Darnold throws bombs to Ian Thomas running free 80 yards down the field. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Careful. You'll wake the sunshine squad from their dreams of Superb Owl victories with Greg Little pancaking DE's as Sam Darnold throws bombs to Ian Thomas running free 80 yards down the field. 

Not sure who the "sunshine squad" are.  Is there a  "sky is falling"  crew?

My point on this thread is that draft profiles and predictions are often wrong as exemplified by our own oline. 

14 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Not sure who the "sunshine squad" are.  Is there a  "sky is falling"  crew?

My point on this thread is that draft profiles and predictions are often wrong as exemplified by our own oline. 

There are basically 3 groups of fans up in here. 1. The cockeyed optimist, or the "sunshine squad". 2. The wait and seers. 3. The doom and gloomers, or "Realists".

The 1s, and 2s can basically cohabitate. Whereas, the 3s tend to...play their music too loud.

Though we all want the Panthers to win. By some of the conversations, you would think that is not true. Just remember, it is supposed to be for entertainment. So enjoy it, and don't take it too cereal.

Just pick your battles, and never give up. Never surrender.

• Pie 4

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Probably because you are cherry picking. They all list the red flags.

Walterfootball

"In the passing-driven NFL, teams are always looking for potential elite left tackles. It can be very difficult to find left tackles with Little's natural size and athleticism, so those things make him an intriguing prospect for the next level, even with his inconsistent play.

There are a lot of natural strengths to Little. He has ideal height, length, weight, quickness and athleticism. Little displays quick feet that allow him to get depth in his drop and neutralize speed rushers. He should be an asset to take on the fast edge rushers because he can get off the corner and prevent them from running the loop around the edge. With his quick feet and an ability to bend at the knee, Little doesn't have to reach after rushers and is not a waist bender. For the NFL, Little could be a very valuable to protect his quarterback against fast edge rushers.

As a run blocker, Little is quick to the second level and is able to swallow up linebackers or defensive backs with ease. Right now, he would be better off in a zone-blocking system to use his athleticism due to not packing a serious punch at the point of attack. Little is not a bull in the ground game to knock defenders off the ball, even though he has the potential to be that if he works at developing his skill set. He has the size for a power-man scheme, but his shortcomings make him a poor fit for that kind of scheme at this time.

Little is too much of a finesse blocker. He has to get more nasty and show something of a mean streak. Adding more strength would help him to do that. Little is poor at firing off the ball and engaging defensive ends. Too often, he is waiting to catch them rather than starting the contact and attacking defenders.

As a pass protector, Little definitely has to block with better leverage. He allows too many pressures to the inside, and that comes from his leverage issues, along with waiting on defenders rather than getting into their chests. Little had some bad beats on rushes to the inside in 2017 and 2018 that should not have happened given his athleticism. There were also plays during which Little would be bull rushed into the pocket - see versus Alabama in 2018. Little needs to improve his ability to anchor against powerful bull rushes.

In speaking to team sources, they aren't super excited about Little because he never played up to his potential consistently. They also said his combine interviews were just okay as he needs development of his football I.Q. They feel he has the capacity to learn, but he still has a lot to learn for the NFL. Everybody acknowledges his skill set, but being an underachiever leaves a sour taste for a lot of evaluators. As a result, multiple team sources have told me they had given Little a late first-round grade. A few sources are higher on him. Little has enough fans alongside a good skill set and upside that he looks likely to be a first-round pick. He probably will go in the back half of the first round, and if he slips to the second round, he should be selected quickly. "

TheDraftNetwork

"Crabbs

Greg Little projects as a boom or bust prospect at the NFL level. Little shows flashes of natural athleticism, particularly for his size. Furthermore, Little's deep pass sets are effective with his length and foot quickness. But Little is super raw in his framing of blocks and footwork, he takes false steps and fails to roll through contact to create forward push with consistency in the run game. Little's effort is also of concern, he will need to be coached/motivated if he's going to be a starter.

Marino

A five-star recruit, Little started early in his career at Ole Miss and it culminated with All-SEC First Team honors in 2018. While Little was an effective college blocker, there are some notable deficiencies in terms of balance and technique that Little must overcome to find success in the NFL. With that said, his blend of size, length and functional mobility serve as a strong foundation for him to develop. I don’t see an early starter in Little, but he has some upside to develop if he can improve.

Round Grade - Mid Day Three

Ledyard

Greg Little’s Ole Miss career can best be summed up by one phrase: it didn’t always (or even often) look pretty, but he got the job done. Despite footwork concerns, significant issues with strike timing/placement and below average functional strength, Little used athleticism, size and length to allow a limited number of sacks and quarterback hits on tape. 

The problem is that Little’s process is so clearly flawed on tape that it is hard to imagine him having the same level of success in the NFL, where the opposing talent is far superior to even what he faced in the SEC. He’s also a get-in-the-way run blocker who shows little physical dominance on tape, an issue that can’t even be traced back to his effort, as Little plays plenty hard. The junior has impressive physical and athletic tools, but that will mean little if his technique does not improve significantly at his next stop. The NFL will take some solace in the fact that Ole Miss didn’t really develop much of anyone in their offense, but Little should still be seen as a decent project at the position and not someone who is ready to start without considerable help in year one.

Round Grade: Late 3rd"

NFL.com

"

Weaknesses
  • Needs to work on core power and upper body development
  • Lacks force and power in down block
  • Too many inefficiencies in movements as run blocker
  • Initial hand strike as run blocker lacks tempo and pace
  • Waist bend with nose past toes at point of attack
  • Leaves feet behind after contact
  • Hand strength is very average
  • Races to predetermined set points
  • Impatient and chases rushers rather than waiting back
  • Gets bounced back into pocket by early rush charge
  • Below-average body control in recovery movements"

ProFootballNetwork

"

Weaknesses

Although Little is aggressive, sometimes he gets too aggressive. Little is a little grabby if he thinks he is getting beat or if he over pursues his defender. Multiple times he would have to have to try and stop his defender by holding him. He also had to make sure that he did not run past him. He also gets beat on the edge occasionally but if he improves his technique and/or gets quicker this issue will be a thing of the past.

His technique, as just stated is also not the best. When Little tries to run block at times he gets stood up by the defender causing him to lose his block. If an offensive lineman gets stood up by the defender, then the defender has all the control. Little’s biggest weakness is his inconsistency. At times, Little looks like a top tackle prospect in this years draft, at other times, he looks like a late day two or early day three pick.  "

https://walterfootball.com/ws2019glittle.php

"Under former head coach Hugh Freeze, the Ole Miss Rebels put together a lot of strong recruiting classes that produced a lot of early-round NFL talent. Among those players were Laremy Tunsil, Evan Engram, Laquon Treadwell, Robert Nkemdiche, Breeland Speaks and more. After Freeze was fired amid scandal, some of his talented recruits who interested NFL teams remained at Ole Miss. Greg Little was one of those players, and he looked like he could be a star as the replacement for Tunsil. Immediately in college football, Little showed he had a great combination of size, quickness and athleticism.

With the skill set of a franchise left tackle, Little broke into the starting lineup as a freshman and played really well while making the jump into college football's toughest conference. His sophomore and junior years were solid, but not dominant, and he remained the Rebels starter through three seasons before declaring for the 2019 NFL Draft. In the passing-driven NFL, left tackles with Little's skill set are hard to find, and that had Little being projected as a future first-round pick for a lot of his collegiate career.

In speaking to team sources, there was a combination of factors that led to Little sliding. One of those problems was concern over his consistency. Some teams felt that Little was not as consistent as he should have been in college. From the tape, some evaluators also felt they did not see enough nastiness out of Little, and that was also reflected in his pre-draft interviews, where he came across as a nice kid but not a fighter and bully as a football player. Sources at other teams said Little has everything you look for as a player, but those issues of personality and consistency suppressed their enthusiasm."

Like I said, plenty of the exact same weaknesses being listed over and over and mentions of why teams were generally down on him. Keep in mind this was a guy that was considered a top 5 draft prospect the year prior to leaving for the draft. 

Little isn't drastically different than most prospects with warts in that you have to see past those to see the potential. The BIG difference was that the warts just seemed to unbelievably clear for Little and he hasn't shown ANYTHING in the NFL to disprove those concerns. 

Furthermore, we are now two coaching staffs into attempting to develop him and it hasn't happened. Frankly, the fact that he was pushed so far down the depth chart last year should really tell the whole story. 

I am not sure why you want to argue this so much precisely BECAUSE we actually do have hindsight here. All those obvious red flags which led to him being passed over(in a weak LT draft, mind you) have essentially come to fruition in Carolina. 

Ummm, all you did was cherry pick the weaknesses of the pages of strength and weakness...which most profiles provide.  I pulled the conclusion.

The big font is really cool though.

10 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

There are basically 3 groups of fans up in here. 1. The cockeyed optimist, or the "sunshine squad". 2. The wait and seers. 3. The doom and gloomers, or "Realists".

The 1s, and 2s can basically cohabitate. Whereas, the 3s tend to...play their music too loud.

Though we all want the Panthers to win. By some of the conversations, you would think that is not true. Just remember, it is supposed to be for entertainment. So enjoy it, and don't take it too cereal.

Just pick your battles, and never give up. Never surrender.

I historically exist about from 1.75-2.5 if you made this into a sliding scale.  Why?  I've been a Panthers fan WAAAAY too long to be solidly in group 1 and while not perennial playoff contenders, we aren't the doormats of the League either, so group 3 isn't for me.  I simply go off gut feeling about the prospect for the team leading into each season.  Usually I'm not too far off. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

I historically exist about from 1.75-2.5 if you made this into a sliding scale.  Why?  I've been a Panthers fan WAAAAY too long to be solidly in group 1 and while not perennial playoff contenders, we aren't the doormats of the League either, so group 3 isn't for me.  I simply go off gut feeling about the prospect for the team leading into each season.  Usually I'm not too far off. 

lol I'm not sure how many folks would even admit they were ever in tier 3. Me? I'm a solid 3. 1+2=3. I'm a cockeyed optimist, with patience. lol

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The bulk of us were here for the entire charade, so we all recall how that went down. It's kind of a pointless thing to argue anyway. Little is so clearly a bust that it's a purely academic discussion. 

Nobody is asserting that LIttle wasn't controversial here, so no need to look it up.

My point was that he was controversial.  

The published  grades I found were  2  others had  as a 3.    He didn't combine well, Hurney didn't get the memo.  

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Nobody is asserting that LIttle wasn't controversial here, so no need to look it up.

My point was that he was controversial.  

The published  grades I found were  2  others had  as a 3.    He didn't combine well, Hurney didn't get the memo.  

Yeah, I don't think I've seen one person that doesn't think that Little wasn't a dissapointment. Not sure why some folks feel the need to be so harsh with their disdain.? He had no control over where he was drafted.

Edited by iamhubby1

30 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

What's your feeling now?

14 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

What's your feeling now?

I'm thinking 9-10 wins and either just missing the playoffs or getting a last wildcard spot.  If we do sneak into the playoffs, we'll get bounced early.  FYI, I called 6 wins last year, which oddly enough was considered optimistic.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I'm thinking 9-10 wins and either just missing the playoffs or getting a last wildcard spot.  If we do sneak into the playoffs, we'll get bounced early.  FYI, I called 6 wins last year, which oddly enough was considered optimistic.

Wow, you're more optimistic than I am.  I am just hoping for 8, but I want to beat at least one  winning team.