• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joey Slye working on mental game

9 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Rivera had such great confidence in Gano he wouldn't let the guy kick a field goal longer than 35 or 40 yards for most of one season.

Not sure Rivera's decision making in regards to personnel should be the benchmark.

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Not sure Rivera's decision making in regards to personnel should be the benchmark.

True. However that particular season I can't blame him for not bringing out Gano for the longer ones. In 2016 he had two misses from 30-39 three misses from 40-49 and three more misses from 50+. One of those was a particularly sad one in the opener. By 2017 confidence in those long kicks was an issue. But as we know now Ron and Marty completely blew it anyway when they let Butker walk.

• Beer 1
1 minute ago, frankw said:

True. However that particular season I can't blame him for not bringing out Gano for the longer ones. In 2016 he had two misses from 30-39 three misses from 40-49 and three more misses from 50+. One of those was a particularly sad one in the opener. By 2017 confidence in those long kicks was an issue. But as we know now Ron and Marty completely blew it anyway when they let Butker walk.

Gano was a good kicker but price and the kind of injury he had made him expendable. In fairness, that was very clearly the wrong decision in hindsight(as was not keeping Butker over Gano) as we ended up with Slye, who had been a disaster.

But, we did get warned by Virginia Tech fans about him once he signed.

• Beer 1
32 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

How about Rhule's decision making in regards to personnel?

Are we ready to dismiss his judgement as well as Rivera's?

• Beer 1
10 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

How about Rhule's decision making in regards to personnel?

Are we ready to dismiss his judgement as well as Rivera's?

We had 9 years of Rivera's decisions with mixed results. The results haven't been stellar with Rhule yet but we are one year in during a complete rebuild. 

Ask me in the 2022 offseason.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
Posted (edited)

I'm glad hes working on his game and he should be... he can miss a 35 yarder or make a 70...if he can coral his brain he could be good...its up to him...but yea, this is the year to get some consistency...or this experiment is ovha...

Edited by Pimpdaddy
  • Pie 2
On 5/29/2021 at 7:14 PM, hepcat said:

Slye has been put in some crazy situations on this team. Being asked to boot 60+ yard field goals to win games after half assed comeback attempts. But at the same time he’s missed too many gimmes. If he starts shanking stuff next season they need to have a backup plan 

This.....kid has been put out in tropical storms to kick 67+ yard field goals and really losing situations.

That being said he has missed XPs and chip shots so it's not like he's been reliable either.

Make or break year for him....

• Beer 2

If kicking field goals and extra points were only as easy as it seems...

Good luck to him. If he can get it all right then he has the leg to set a new record and become a shorter range threat, too. High pressure job with little to no room for errors, and definitely no way to hide an error. 

40 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If kicking field goals and extra points were only as easy as it seems...

Good luck to him. If he can get it all right then he has the leg to set a new record and become a shorter range threat, too. High pressure job with little to no room for errors, and definitely no way to hide an error. 

Quite honestly, I don't care at all if he can make a 70 yard FG. I care that he can make a 0-50 yard FG at an above average NFL rate. I care that he makes XP's. I care that he doesn't shank kicks to lose us games.

It's a fun neat trick that in theory he has the leg to make long FG's. Except he literally hasn't.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:17 PM, Pazhoosier89 said:

I miss John Kasay. He was damn near automatic. Maybe he should he get some pointers from him.

just don't listen to Kasay when he goes over SB kick offs to Tom Brady