• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christian McCaffrey Workload in 2021

kungfoodude

4 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

20 runs and 14 passing targets a game are well within reason.

Or 25 runs and 8 targets.

33 to 44 touches.

I don't want my best back in history only running the ball 12 to 15 times a game. That's literally throwing points away.

Numbers don't seem to be your thing

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

They don't?

25 plus 8 is 33

20 plus 14 is 34

18 plus 15 is 33.

Seems to add up fine.

Over the past 3 years we have ran an average of 64 offensive plays per game. So you want CMC to touch the ball on 1/2 or more of our plays? 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Over the past 3 years we have ran an average of 64 offensive plays per game. So you want CMC to touch the ball on 1/2 or more of our plays? 

Over the past 3 years we have been pretty bad especially on defense. 

If we are getting off the field on 3rd. If we are creating turnovers it will lead to more possessions. 

If we become more dominant on offense then we will punt and kick less which again leads to more total plays.

3 hours ago, frankw said:

If we are facing the dilemma of limiting his snap count the contract is already a loss. He is very talented but he has quite a few miles dating back to even Stanford so at this point the writing is on the wall. We can't go back in time but we really need production so if that means lining him up wherever to open things up for the rest of the offense do that. Surely someone will be racking up yards with the amount of offensive talent we have now.

I don't think that being smart with CMC automatically means he's not worth the contract. Just like LT was, CMC is someone that the defense must account for at all times because he is so dynamic. And, like you alluded to, he opens up the offense for other players. That's worth it's weight in gold in and of itself. His contract becomes less of the pie from a cost perspective as time moves on, but he has to be available for us to get the value.

I would argue that his value is not in using him as a crutch or panacea for uninspired--or--sometimes down right bad playcalling like in the Rivera era, but in the ability to maximize his elite offensive skills among other talented weapons in a more explosive offense.

• Pie 2

26 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Over the past 3 years we have been pretty bad especially on defense. 

If we are getting off the field on 3rd. If we are creating turnovers it will lead to more possessions. 

If we become more dominant on offense then we will punt and kick less which again leads to more total plays.

The team that averaged the most offensive plays over that same period only ran 71 plays per game. It is not as big of a swing as you are thinking. One player touching the ball 30+ times a game is not a good offensive plan. 

Last year derrick Henry led the league in touches at 397, that is about 25 per game. you want CMC to crush that?

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Beer 1

We need to pace CMC until the open date .  That is when our schedule gets brutal .  If we are in the playoff hunt we will need to have CMC at his best .  Let Chubba get so some reps  to get experience to the pace of the NFL and let the coaches see how best to use him . 

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

The team that averaged the most offensive plays over that same period only ran 71 plays per game. It is not as big of a swing as you are thinking. One player touching the ball 30+ times a game is not a good offensive plan. 

Last year derrick Henry led the league in touches at 397, that is about 25 per game. you want CMC to crush that?

I'll settle for 335 touches.

Sweetness averaged about that probably. 

I want him maximized. 

1 hour ago, Catsfan69 said:

A weapon can't help you if it isn't used.

Neither can a broken or worn out weapon.

What good is a dull blade?  Ammo that won’t fire?  

Im just being a devil’s advocate here.

I think what we all want is to be able to use CMC when we need him and for him to be the deadly asset we know him to be.  We are all saying “please god don’t get hurt! Please please please please!”  

If he goes down, it’ll be catastrophic and there is no way to replace that kind of player.  Risk management is key.

edit: Every team has a player they can not afford to lose to injury.  Ours just happens to be the RB. 

Edited by L-TownCat
  • Beer 1

CMC's contract skyrockets after this season, so this is basically his last reasonably priced season. If his body continues to break down from injuries we're going to be stuck in a horrific contract. I would never, and I mean never, draft a RB that high and pay him that kind of money. However, we're in a position now where we need to protect his health while still trying to get our money's worth. It's better to put CMC type money into the WR position imo, but we are where we are and it is what it is.

The more worried Rhule and Brady are about their jobs, the more they will ride CMC. It's no accident that CMC had 403 touches in 2019 when Rivera and Turner were on the hotseat. Rhule has plenty of time left on his contract, and Brady is seen as highly talented and on the way to a HC position. This coupled with Chuba being drafted points to less touches and wear and tear on CMC.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I don't think that being smart with CMC automatically means he's not worth the contract. Just like LT was, CMC is someone that the defense must account for at all times because he is so dynamic. And, like you alluded to, he opens up the offense for other players. That's worth it's weight in gold in and of itself. His contract becomes less of the pie from a cost perspective as time moves on, but he has to be available for us to get the value.

I would argue that his value is not in using him as a crutch or panacea for uninspired--or--sometimes down right bad playcalling like in the Rivera era, but in the ability to maximize his elite offensive skills among other talented weapons in a more explosive offense.

Well there are uncomfortable truths that we must face just as we did with other players over the years. No one can deny his talent but investment vs return and real world circumstances like last year with the injuries are why some were hesitant to tie up that much in resources for a running back. It does not help that we have not had a winning season since his rookie year and we have not won much in our division in that timespan either. Now we know that is not all his fault obviously he has been a victim of circumstance with the void at quarterback which happened rather quickly. But you have to take the hand you've been dealt. As much as Sam Darnold and this staff have so much to prove our key offensive weapon has just as much to gain from a successful regular season in our quest to return to relevancy. Let us hope this offensive line can come together smoothly and stay healthy.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, beo said:

While this is true in almost all cases, Rhule is under contract with us for 6 more years and it seems he has a considerably longer leash from Tepper than most other coaches in the league would have. I think this is somewhat reflected in our drafting of athletic but less polished prospects as well. Just something to consider. I personally hope that we do scale his workload back and if possible try to save him for key parts of the game (3rd downs, 4th quarter, etc.); but as a coach when you have a weapon of that caliber out there I imagine it's very hard to fight the urge to spam him touches.

Oh he has been a coach long enough to know contracts don't mean much in terms of keeping your job.

I agree that possibly the biggest problem is how easy it is to just give the ball to your best player and let him carry you. The problem being, we have SO MANY good to great offensive weapons. Why do that now? This isn't like the years where it was just Cam having to do it all.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Oh he has been a coach long enough to know contracts don't mean much in terms of keeping your job.

I agree that possibly the biggest problem is how easy it is to just give the ball to your best player and let him carry you. The problem being, we have SO MANY good to great offensive weapons. Why do that now? This isn't like the years where it was just Cam having to do it all.

And THAT is what we are hoping for.  A team that isn’t dependent on CMC going ham.  Maybe 1 week he does, then the next DJ does, then maybe Robby or Dan Arnold or….

see?  That is the desired outcome.  CMC is great while others contribute so he doesn’t need to be the super hero.

You are all over the game plan.  That’s what they want to do.

• Beer 2