• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte Observer reporter Rick Bonnell found dead in his home this morning

covered mainly Hornets and NBA but did some Panthers and NFL as well.  63 years old

An extremely sad day at the Observer for me and my colleagues. Rick Bonnell was a beautiful person, who went out of his way to help me out. For that, I’ll forever be grateful and will miss him.
Edited by Captain Morgan
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can distinctly remember a time when I thought 63 was old as dirt. Hell, 30 was old as dirt. I'm still decades away from 63, but it sure doesn't seem all that old anymore.

Yeah, I remember being 20 and talking to my dad when he was 45 and thought that was ancient. I'm 51 now. I'm less than 15 years away from getting medicare and drawing SS. Insanity.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Man this one stings. By all accounts a very good guy and very passionate about his Hornets/NBA coverage. Literally been reading his work for as long as I can remember and feel like I was just reading one of his tweets just a couple days ago. 

RIP Rick. You were a great one!

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can distinctly remember a time when I thought 63 was old as dirt. Hell, 30 was old as dirt. I'm still decades away from 63, but it sure doesn't seem all that old anymore.

I can remember sitting in world history class as a senior in HS as our teacher talked about the Mayan calendar and jokingly told us the end of the world was coming in 2012. 2012? Pffff... I'll be 30. Who cares? Is life even worth living past that anyway?

LOL!

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Saw that. They just recently lost a longtime photographer too.

He was also found dead in his home when he did not report to work. Covered a lot of sports. Tough times at the Observer, and especially for those 2 families.

Some devastating background: Beloved Charlotte Observer photographer David T. Foster III was found dead in his home at age 52 on May 24.

Eight days later, we found out Rick Bonnell had also passed away.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 1