• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My OTA Observations

Zod

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

Thanks for the info. Backup QB is a huge question mark. I mean hell they could have kept Bridgewater as a backup. Maybe everyone hated each other at that point though 

Not for that money they couldn't. And yeah, I think that bridge was burned and the ashes washed down the river.

• Pie 4

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not for that money they couldn't. And yeah, I think that bridge was burned and the ashes washed down the river.

Not sure how it all worked out money wise in the end but I do remember the Panthers had to eat a bunch of money to trade him

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

The Panthers went scorched Earth. There was no going back.

Yeah, you can't publicly throw that much shade at a guy and NOT part ways with him. They were DONE with Teddy after he threw Brady under the bus blaming a late play call for him missing a wide open DJ in the endzone. There was a very distinct shift in the tone and message regarding Teddy from Rhule and company after that one and honestly it's tough to blame them for it. You dialed up a play that got a WR wide ass open for an easy TD, your QB airmailed it, then somehow still tried to blame you for it? Ouch.

• Pie 8

1 hour ago, Zod said:

Coach Rhule talked up Ian Thomas yesterday but I honestly don't know what to read into that. Rhule tends to use his words to the media for his own purposes and usually has additional motives that go along with them. Could be he just wanted to send Thomas some additional encouragement. 

I hope Thomas can develop into who we all wanted him to be, but at this point I need to see it to believe it.

My interpretation is Rhule knows he's not gonna make the team, but he's a good kid, so he's talking him up to help him eventually find a good landing spot with someone else.

Who I was most impressed with yesterday at Tight End was Tommy Tremble. From the way everyone talked about him post draft you would think he has rocks for hands. But he caught the ball as well or better than Ian Thomas. I didn't see a single Tremble drop ( to be fair its impossible to see every snap.) Tommy turns his body nicely to the ball and has soft hands for a bruising tight end. 

720_2964.jpg

Steal of the draft.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

35 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Thanks for the info. Backup QB is a huge question mark. I mean hell they could have kept Bridgewater as a backup. Maybe everyone hated each other at that point though 

I don't think Teddy was down for that.  My speculation is that Teddy just wanted out if he's not going to be the guaranteed starter.   

1 hour ago, Zod said:

Sam Darnold looked as good as any Panthers QB in OTAs I have seen.

Nuskin Nu Skin Evil Smile Evilsmile Mwahaha Tryit GIFs - Get the best GIF  on GIPHY

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I have really missed these write ups.  

Thanks for the comments and the pix.  Love what we're hearing about Horn, Shi and Tremble.  Cautiously optimistic about Sam.

Pretty sure I didn't know we had a guy named Sam Chandler on our roster.  It seems every recent write up by every beat reporter there's some guy where it's like "who's that? I've never heard of him, swear I've never seen that name before..."

Gone are the days when I could recite our full 90 man roster in my sleep.  I've got a lot of work to do to learn about these guys.  But thankfully I should be able to do some of that work by watching them in person at training camp!   Less than 1 month until I'm wheels up and on a plane to head Stateside for a 6 month home leave.  Very ready for a break!

I used to do a roster spreadsheet to help familiarize myself with the players, but I had given up on it a while back. The return of Hurney had me feeling like it wasn't worth it.

Finally doing that again this offseason...

• Pie 6

2 hours ago, Zod said:

Here are some observations from yesterday's OTA session that I attended. Keep in mind that due to team policy I cannot get into specifics on some specific things as to not give lurking opponents a heads up. 

Thanks for the write-ups! This is what I've been waiting to read before I get too excited about who we have and where we are headed. Unlike national beat writers and pundits, you've been watching these guys for a couple of decades. You know who we have, can really tell who has improved, who has regressed and you're not just trying to hit a byline count by catching the coach's comments and running with them.

If Zod says the player(s) are good or bad, chances are he's on the money. 

We've got a lot riding on Jaycee Horn this season, not just because he's a no. 1 draft pick, but because we need the best corner in the league because we're in the frikkin' NFCSouth. He's got a massive amount of work ahead of him against the best QBs and WRs that anyone will face. I hope that he can completely disrupt some game plans.

Thomas and Grier, are probably gone after this training camp. Both have seemed like underperforming disappointments for a while now and I think Rhule is giving Thomas a bit of good PR for a release or trade. And you are right on the money as to needing a solid back-up QB. I think we'll wait and see who shakes out and maybe get Darnold a vet presence who can be an extra set of eyes and no threat to start.

Shi just looks fast as can be and has good hands. Hope he gets a break and makes the most of it.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaLivin said:

I was playing madden the other day and downloaded an updated roster (with all the new additions) and the guy that created it had D. Jackson at FS. Obviously this would be with Bouye taking his spot at the CB2 position (after his suspension).

This is probably unlikely, but I wanted to know what some people think about this idea. 

So if Jackson struggles to cover players deep on one side of the field as a corner, you think we should move him to FS where he has to play both sides of the field deep? Why in the world would we do that? Now move him to the slot and I would agree.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1