• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offseason post: Rivera literally told the media he wasn't changing anything before Superbowl 50

hepcat

There's a certain school of thought that believes sometimes you can just let people know what you're doing and still do it because you're so damn good they won't be able to stop you.

The vast majority of the time, that's not true.

Unfortunately, Ron apparently believed it was.

• Pie 4

20 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

We didn't lose that Superbowl because of Ron. 

Ron's in charge of the coaching decisions and there was minimal game-planning and zero in-game adjustment so yeah, we kinda did. Refs or not that game was still very winnable and yet here everyone is having this conversation.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, MechaZain said:

They didn't look like themselves all game 

Hard to look yourself when the other team is practically in your Huddle because you didn't change a thing.

That's where Ron dropped the ball. He saw "change" as a black of white thing. You don't really have to change anything to make it appear you have. Tweak your formations to add a wrinkle. Just do SOMETHING to avoid showing your opponents exactly what they've studied on film.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Ron's in charge of the coaching decisions and there was minimal game-planning and zero in-game adjustment so yeah, we kinda did. Refs or not that game was still very winnable and yet here everyone is having this conversation.

You're welcome to your take. 

I watched the game, so I don't have to rely on someone else's opinion. 

That game was winnable with the staff we had, and players we had. 

While the refs were bad in that game, they're bad in every game.  No reason to mention them. I certainly didn't.  

We left a lot out on the field that day. 

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It was BRUTAL watching that Broncos LB literally fighting back laughter after the game telling the press that we literally changed nothing. Not the slightest wrinkle. We showed them nothing we hadn't already out on tape. He was absolutely bewildered. They knew everything that was coming. We never had a chance. Thanks, Ron!

He coach Jerry Richardson type coach. Best thing to happen to the panthers was JR leaving.

3 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

I loved many things about Rivera, but he had the finesse of a stone.

I loved when he was fired, thats about it. When you have a MVP quality QB and a DPOY quality MLB but never have back to back winning seasons, you suck as a coach.

52 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

You're welcome to your take. 

I watched the game, so I don't have to rely on someone else's opinion. 

That game was winnable with the staff we had, and players we had. 

While the refs were bad in that game, they're bad in every game.  No reason to mention them. I certainly didn't.  

We left a lot out on the field that day. 

That's the point though - who is ultimately responsible for the performance and adjusting accordingly? Ron and Shula did nothing to adapt to the pass rush and Denver themselves said the plan was predictable. There were missed opportunities, sure, but Ron and the staff set things up for failure by planning not to lose from the outset. They were flat out outcoached.

• Pie 1

On 6/3/2021 at 8:28 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

It was BRUTAL watching that Broncos LB literally fighting back laughter after the game telling the press that we literally changed nothing. Not the slightest wrinkle. We showed them nothing we hadn't already out on tape. He was absolutely bewildered. They knew everything that was coming. We never had a chance. Thanks, Ron!

To Ron and Co's defense, why would they change anything then?  We had steamrolled thru the entire league all year, and dominated both of our playoff games.  That team was one of the most ass-kicking teams on both sides of the ball that I have ever seen.  Now, in hindsight its easy to say they should have done this, and should have done that, but at that time, there was no need to change anything as we had kicked the poo out of everybody we played all season.  I think the expectation was that Cam and company would continue to shine in that game - we just ran into an all-time great defense with an all time great plan, and the refs did us no favors all game long. 

• Pie 2

On 6/3/2021 at 9:53 AM, pantherclaw said:

We didn't lose that Superbowl because of Ron. 

Solely? No.  Primarily?  You bet your sweet ass.

Head coaches and QBs get too much credit and too much blame.

The QB earned his credit, the coach did no such thing.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1