• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offseason post: Rivera literally told the media he wasn't changing anything before Superbowl 50

hepcat

Classic Ron Rivera, not only did he not plan on changing up his strategy in Superbowl 50, he told the media this exact fact before the game even started. All the Broncos defense had to do was listen.

The team has a chance to become only the third Super Bowl champion to finish a season 18-1. Head coach Ron Rivera played for the 1985 Chicago Bears team that capped its one-loss season with the beating to end all beatings in Super Bowl XX, and Rivera told CNN's Jill Martin the Panthers are going to continue doing what they've done to get this far:

"Do what you've done. Don't change. Some of my experiences in coaching, you get to certain situations like the playoffs. Sometimes you get a little bit of, I don't want to say panic, but a little bit of self doubt. You say, 'Did I do enough? Do I need to do more? Should I change this?

I told our coordinators this morning, we're going to do what we do. We're going to stick to what got us to where we are today. We'll emphasize that with the players and making sure we keep our personality."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2609930-super-bowl-50-predictions-bleacher-reports-expert-consensus-picks

Even if Rhule and co doesn't pan out, Rivera was way too stubborn to ever win a Superbowl as a head coach. It's just a shame the Panthers didn't cut bait with him before Cam's prime was over. 

Edited by hepcat
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

It was BRUTAL watching that Broncos LB literally fighting back laughter after the game telling the press that we literally changed nothing. Not the slightest wrinkle. We showed them nothing we hadn't already out on tape. He was absolutely bewildered. They knew everything that was coming. We never had a chance. Thanks, Ron!

It would have been one thing to say all these things and then come out with a totally shuffled game plan. THAT is strategy. But hope, good 'ol Ron, stubbornly leading his team into a buzzsaw without even a sniff of a backup plan.

• Pie 1

There were multiple factors involved but through inaction the league made it clear it was open season on Newton in that Super Bowl and beyond. The rematch was even worse. Never seen a more blatant attempt at hurting an opposing player before or after that game. You just have to accept and make peace with it all what's done is done.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Hard to win when the refs don’t allow you to compete and let your star QB be head hunted all night with no consequence though.

I agree Ron still sucks  though 

I still believe that game was about sending Peyton Manning into the sunset a winner. Too many bewildering things happened during that game, including our total lack of competitiveness, to make me believe otherwise.

• Pie 5

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

There’s a reason why the Pats have won a lot. Not just Brady, but Bill changing strategy was how they won. Just think about how many times a they ran the ball down the throats of the Colts who usually had better pass Ds than run Ds.

He's a smug, cheating fug but there's no denying he's a football savant.

32 minutes ago, frankw said:

There were multiple factors involved but through inaction the league made it clear it was open season on Newton in that Super Bowl and beyond. The rematch was even worse. Never seen a more blatant attempt at hurting an opposing player before or after that game. You just have to accept and make peace with it all what's done is done.

I don't think you're wrong. Right in the middle of the NFL emphasizing blows to the head of a QB in the pocket, they let the Broncos use Cam's head like a pinata. Twice.

• Pie 2