• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offseason post: Rivera literally told the media he wasn't changing anything before Superbowl 50

hepcat

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

There is no way you could convince me that wasn't the worst team we had faced all playoffs. The difference was they had a coaching staff that was far better and the refs decided to swallow their whistles when it came to the Broncos. 

Agreed. Their defense was legit, but we had the better team. We got outcoached (and then there were the refs).

• Pie 4

Peyton Manning could barely pass the ball beyond the line of scrimmage.  The Broncos offense was pathetic.

If Ron had adjusted to account for Denver's repeated hits Cam, Panthers win the SB in a blowout.

Also, Ron kept Mike Tolbert around when anyone with two eyes could tell he was useless as fullback.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 3

I knew the game was over when Talib tossed Philly Brown out of bounds inside the 5 by his facemask.  That showed me that Denver came to play and the Panthers did not. 

They literally came in and took what that thought was theirs and Ron and staff just watched it happen. 

We would have a Lombardi trophy right now had Ron just given Remmers pass protection help right away. That alone would have been enough to change the outcome imo. Imagine changing some of our plays to fake out the Broncos? Would have been nice.

Edited by pantherj
  • Pie 1

37 minutes ago, 33inNC said:

I knew the game was over when Talib tossed Philly Brown out of bounds inside the 5 by his facemask.  That showed me that Denver came to play and the Panthers did not. 

They literally came in and took what that thought was theirs and Ron and staff just watched it happen. 

They could do any damn thing they wanted because they knew the refs weren't going to call anything on them.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

A lot of teams script the first 15 or so plays for a reason. Call it a reconnaissance mission.  See what works, how the defense is reacting, what your own offense needs to adjust to, and what may be exploited later.  Since we didn't care how the defense reacted, had no intention of adjusting, and no interest in finding out what they are doing that could be exploited later (because that might mean doing something different), there was no point.

Our approach on offense was not radically different from what the Broncos did two years earlier, and we saw how that worked.  You know, when John Fox was their HC.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

A lot of teams script the first 15 or so plays for a reason. Call it a reconnaissance mission.  See what works, how the defense is reacting, what your own offense needs to adjust to, and what may be exploited later.  Since we didn't care how the defense reacted, had no intention of adjusting, and no interest in finding out what they are doing that could be exploited later (because that might mean doing something different), there was no point.

Our approach on offense was not radically different from what the Broncos did two years earlier, and we saw how that worked.  You know, when John Fox was their HC.

That's actually a pretty common tactic among teams that employ a West Coast style system (like we do now).

As far as I know, Rivera never did that.

5 hours ago, rayzor said:

They could do any damn thing they wanted because they knew the refs weren't going to call anything on them.

I don't disagree with this, but you can't just let a team waltz in and take it from you. Where is the fire that won 15 games?

47 minutes ago, 33inNC said:

I don't disagree with this, but you can't just let a team waltz in and take it from you. Where is the fire that won 15 games?

They got the wind knocked out for what should have been just a moment. Then they had to play both the broncos and the refs. 

A good coach would have been able to 1) get their heads right and 2) adjust their gameplan to put something together that works.

We didn't have a good coach.

Cam would have been able to get that team fired back up. The broncos knew it and the refs knew it and that's why the headhunting happened.

They (broncos and refs) took Cam out of the game the only way they could. 

• Beer 1

On 6/4/2021 at 10:37 AM, joemac said:

We had steamrolled thru the entire league all year,

“steamrolled” lol

Time and again that season after he got a lead, MoRon shut it all down and let teams right back in it and then the team had to hold on by the skin of their teeth to pull out the win.

”steamrolled thru the entire league all year”

lol

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

“steamrolled” lol

Time and again that season after he got a lead, MoRon shut it all down and let teams right back in it and then the team had to hold on by the skin of their teeth to pull out the win.

”steamrolled thru the entire league all year”

lol

Ron tapped the brakes and we had cracks show the last several games of the year. There were signs of a problem and the broncos were able to exploit it.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

They got the wind knocked out for what should have been just a moment. Then they had to play both the broncos and the refs. 

A good coach would have been able to 1) get their heads right and 2) adjust their gameplan to put something together that works.

We didn't have a good coach.

Cam would have been able to get that team fired back up. The broncos knew it and the refs knew it and that's why the headhunting happened.

They (broncos and refs) took Cam out of the game the only way they could. 

While I am hesitant to blame the refs, you are right, a good coaching staff would adjust and allow how team to get back in it. Hurney also deserves a lot of blame too, guys like Philly Brown (and most of the OLine) were overmatched and not capable of taking it to the next level.