• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The USFL...

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Captroop said:

I mean...

National Collegiate Athletic Association - Wikipedia

It's a different ball game. Yes it's football but it's college ball. They have a loooong running history and a large market and it's not trying to come off as an alternative to the NFL. 

Those guys aren't pro yet. The ones who have plans to go pro...it's not their dream to go  to the USFL. It's to play in the NFL.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Carolina Cajun said:

honestly sucks that covid hit, xfl was actually fun last season and was gaining some momentum.  I think XFL actually would have taken on the role we've wanted for a while as essentially a spring minor league.

I guess I'm one of the few fans that doesn't want a Spring league. Or at least wouldn't watch it.

I do think there's a role for a minor league / development system in the NFL for guys that aren't the finished article at 22 (Warner, Delhomme, Vinatieri), but with how much football I binge watch between Sept and January, I don't have the appetite for any more. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not sure the XFL could have survived long-term, primarily for one reason.

Vince McMahon is a colossal dickhead. That, plus he's starting to show signs of going down the same path as Jerry Richardson.

Can't help feeling that organization would have imploded eventually.

Hell, there's even talk now that he might sell the WWE.

Everything The Rock touches turns to gold.

I mean besides Baywatch has he made a good movie in the last decade? Doesn't matter, still the most bankable star in Hollywood.

The XFL has a chance to fill that development league niche. They all get into trouble when they try to compete with the NFL - it's a behemoth, you'll be crushed. 

If The Rock shuts his mouth and knows his role the XFL will flourish. 

Edited by OldhamA
  • Pie 1

46 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I'd put the eight teams in St. Louis, Portland, San Diego, San Antonio, Memphis, Indianapolis, Orlando, and Boston.

I'd put them in secondary markets that don't currently have NFL teams. 

So if I had to pick 8:

• San Antonio
  • San Diego
  • Oklahoma City
  • Portland
  • Memphis
  • Louisville
  • Orlando
  • St Louis
  • Pie 1

The original USFL had tons of stud players. 

That was a great league. 

I remember getting to meet one of my all time favorite running backs Larry Csonka at Memorial Stadium.

Charlotte was up for a potential expansion team. I think I was 10 or 12. It was a great time watching that exhibition game. 

• Pie 1

There really needs to be a viable alternative to College Football for individuals interested in playing in the NFL.  Kids coming out of high school who wish to play football for a living shouldn't have to pretend to be attending a University in order to play the game. Not to mention, those individuals should be paid. 

If I were a decision maker in the NFL, I would be fully adopting a new league, siphoning money away from the NCAA into NFL pockets. 

The NCAA currently pulls in about $14 billion in annual revenue for college sports programs. While the NFL currently brings in about $12 billion. 

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D.