• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Prepare to see that roster churning

rayzor

• While the Panthers waived quarterback/tight end/wideout Tommy Stevens on Tuesday to make room for former Ohio State WR C.J. Saunders, Rhule said some of the players who have been cut recently could end up back with the team at Wofford. He also indicated there will be more roster churn to come. “This is a time when we’re going to see as many people as possible.” Saunders worked with the returners during Wednesday’s special-teams period.

Looks like we're going to be seeing a lot of new faces in the next few weeks and we'll be seeing a lot of faces go that go. In the middle of it all we'll be sitting here asking what the point is thinking that they are a bunch of idiots that don't know what they are doing. 

Then, when TC happens, we'll see some that we had cut brought back in to replace people who replaced them and it will make it look even more chaotic.

What will be happening, though, is that they are just going to be looking at more and more and more prospects trying to bring in the best possible ones to training camp. And in the weeks of training camp as cuts are made by other teams we might see more. 

It may seem like ineptitude to the less shrewd and it might seem like madness to the clueless, but it's a sign that they are going to turn over any rock they can to create the best possible roster from top to bottom.

*Saw this that @TheSpecialJuan posted in the Stevens/Saunders thread. Copied from a Joe Person article in The Athletic which I don't have a membership so I can't post the link.

• Pie 9
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

I think this is Finesser and Rhule trying to find loopholes with the try-outs rules. While many have moved on form convid, NFL still has rules to prevent out breaks. Seems they are limiting how many players are able to try out. I know where finesser came form, they lead the league in tryouts and UDFAs for much of his time there. It cost money and time to bring in a fellow for try outs, some teams didit like to paid thousands for a 1 out 839 chance the guy could replace a practice squad member, ie Beaguals.

Seattle/NE truly didnt care about money and where draft and both didnt limit themselves to passing on street free agents. 

I'll also say this Rodney Smith was cut about this same time last year(I think he was was days after he signed as a UDFA) and he came back in season. Smith got real NFL snaps as a UDFA, that was not talked about last year, but I member it! So dont give up hope on your dream backup Tommy Stevens @MHS831

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I kinda can understand the strategy but am skeptical of it.  Too much churn and nothing settles out.  

Seattle is notorious for open try-outs every Tue.. Any opportunity to strengthen the roster. I can dig that. The taking every opportunity to make your roster better part anywho.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Seattle is notorious for open try-outs every Tue.. Any opportunity to strengthen the roster. I can dig that. The taking every opportunity to make your roster better part anywho.

I'm not against turning over every stone.  I just think there's a limit to how many stones you can turn over before you lose track of which stones you've turned over.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not against turning over every stone.  I just think there's a limit to how many stones you can turn over before you lose track of which stones you've turned over.

See, they have these things called puters. You put your information in it, and low and behold, it is there when you need it. Damm cool if you ask me.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I kinda can understand the strategy but am skeptical of it.  Too much churn and nothing settles out.  

You're not looking for the bottom of the roster to settle.

They'll keep bringing in guys off the street to see if someone stands out.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

That is a good point. Gentleman used to churn the rosters and we always seemed to start out slow and finish strong. I hope we don't do the same under Rhule since we really need to start off strong at the beginning because the second half will be much harder.  I guess we will see how good these coaches are at building teamwork and a culture.

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

See, they have these things called puters. You put your information in it, and low and behold, it is there when you need it. Damm cool if you ask me.

Yeah I've heard of such technology.  But be careful of letting such new fangled gadgets do the thinking for you.

Now pull your damn pants up!

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

Yeah I've heard of such technology.  But be careful of letting such new fangled gadgets do the thinking for you.

Now pull your damn pants up!

I had a puter to help with my taxes. 9 more months on a 3 year sentence. Knock on wood.

The laugh is on you. I am wearing shorts. But thanks.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

puters, they're a fad...like that myface and tweeter poo.

• Beer 2