• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Study: Derrick Brown.

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

Well darn, I guess I need to look in the mirror. Huh?

What are you, Mr White Knight? Riding to the rescue of the little guy. Admirable.

All seriousness aside. When you say "Don't get emotional" at the end of your posts. Is that not the same? Of course not. It's just you being you.

Or you calling me a teenager. Is that not the same thing?  Now get the last word in so we can put this to rest.

Settle down, Francis. Quit being so emo.

• Beer 1

55 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He isn't really even a super athlete he is just so freakishly strong.

I don't mean to start anything. But after a quick interwebz search. The first thing that came up under strengths. 

• Elite combination of size, strength and big-man athleticism

I know it aligns with my slant as to athleticism. But it also says strength so you were right too.

If Daquan has his normal type year. The DT position is well stacked.

Someone posted a gif of him on the basketball court. I was actually going off that originally.

Edited by iamhubby1

Brown is nowhere near, I mean not close at all, to Kris Jenkins when it comes to rushing the passer. Even if you look this youtube video, at 2:43, the nerdy sounding guy is gushing about Brown doing a great bull rush. It wasn't. Brown did his old college trick of illegally shoving the guards head back to the point of almost snapping his neck or taking off his helmet.

I'm all for seeing Brown playing well and being a great run stuffer for us, but for heavens sake don't compare him to Kris Jenkins, the pass rushing monster.

Edited by pantherj
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

I don't mean to start anything. But after a quick interwebz search. The first thing that came up under strengths. 

• Elite combination of size, strength and big-man athleticism

I know it aligns with my slant as to athleticism. But it also says strength so you were right too.

If Daquan has his normal type year. The DT position is well stacked.

Someone posted a gif of him on the basketball court. I was actually going off that originally.

Well, you just don't know how to Google, which isn't super surprising.

Try looking up his RAS. For reference, it's a fair amount lower than Kris Jenkins(who was an above average athlete via that metric). 

He isn't a bad athlete but he is definitely not an elite athlete, especially by NFL standards. But that isn't necessary at his position he just needs to be explosive in short windows.

16 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, you just don't know how to Google, which isn't super surprising.

Try looking up his RAS. For reference, it's a fair amount lower than Kris Jenkins(who was an above average athlete via that metric). 

He isn't a bad athlete but he is definitely not an elite athlete, especially by NFL standards. But that isn't necessary at his position he just needs to be explosive in short windows.

Yeah Star had like a sub 4 RAS score which is pretty fuging terrible but he is/was an absolute beast for his position. RAS isn’t the end all be all but i think it’s important for certain positions.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Yeah Star had like a sub 4 RAS score which is pretty fuging terrible but he is/was an absolute beast for his position. RAS isn’t the end all be all but i think it’s important for certain positions.

RAS also has a "size" portion of it, which can skew it against players that aren't in the "ideal" category. 

It definitely can highlight guys that are elite athletes. If you look at the Panthers historic RAS scores, a large portion of our elite players are in that Elite to Above Average category. 

Brown will never be a guy like Donald or Cox or Jenkins. But he can blow people off the line, create for our other pass rushers and generally disrupt plays. That is where his value is.

He just needs to become a more sure tackler and work on his array of pass rush moves. If he can smooth out the rough edges, he can be an 8-10 year starter for us.

3 hours ago, pantherj said:

Brown is nowhere near, I mean not close at all, to Kris Jenkins when it comes to rushing the passer. Even if you look this youtube video, at 2:43, the nerdy sounding guy is gushing about Brown doing a great bull rush. It wasn't. Brown did his old college trick of illegally shoving the guards head back to the point of almost snapping his neck or taking off his helmet.

I'm all for seeing Brown playing well and being a great run stuffer for us, but for heavens sake don't compare him to Kris Jenkins, the pass rushing monster.

People forget how good vintage Kris Jenkins was. Had he not struggled with injuries and consistency, he would have been considered an elite player at that position.

Also, playing next to a freak like Peppers didn't exactly do wonders for his spotlight either.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

12 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I bet Josh Norman's RAS was absolutely abysmal. Pretty much the only boxes he would've checked are height/weight.