• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Study: Derrick Brown.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Saying Gross isn't an all-time great along the lines of a Jonathan Ogden isn't disrespect. It's reality. He's the Panthers' all-time great. That doesn't make him an NFL all-time great. My point was our views of certain players as a fanbase are heavily influenced by our history as a franchise at that particular position.

This isn't difficult to comprehend. 

During his career, Gross was one of the best LT in the game. Which does make him better than most of his contemporaries. Which does give him a place on the all time LT list.

Just because you think EVERYONE, but you, in our fanbase cannot judge talent, does not make your take Gospel.

Folks know Gross was one of the best. It has nothing to do with how other Panther LT measure up.

Now move those goal posts some more. You are one of the all time greats at that maneuver.

47 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

How was what he said wrong? There is zero question he was the best LT the Panthers have ever fielded. There is zero question Gross was a top 10 LT in the NFL for the bulk of his career. But he also isn't a HOF LT either.

We love him because he is OUR great player. That doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of the league sees him that way. 

Another good example of that is Steve Smith. He is my all-time favorite Panther. IMO, he's a first ballot HOFer because he was the best pound for pound WR I have ever seen. But, he may not end up as a first ballot HOF guy because a lot of people don't consider him HOF caliber. I disagree but that's because I am inherently biased about it.

No one is saying Gross is a HOFer. We ARE saying that he is criminally undervalued by far too many people. Out of the thousands of LTs that have played. Jordan is near the top of that list. That does make you one of the all time best.

Also, there is plenty of attention given to Smitty. He is much more than just a Panther icon.

41 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

During his career, Gross was one of the best LT in the game. Which does make him better than most of his contemporaries. Which does give him a place on the all time LT list.

Just because you think EVERYONE, but you, in our fanbase cannot judge talent, does not make your take Gospel.

Folks know Gross was one of the best. It has nothing to do with how other Panther LT measure up.

Now move those goal posts some more. You are one of the all time greats at that maneuver.

Good grief, man. I don't know if you're extra salty today or if you're just not that bright but while you're accusing others of moving goal posts, you're the one with a goal post slung over your shoulder there with your qualifications of "all-time great". Gross is not an NFL all-time great. He IS a Panthers all-time great. Those two are not one in the same. Gross is so very fondly remembered by Panthers fans in large part due to the fact that for most of our history outside of the Gross era we have struggled (sometimes mightily) at LT. Which was my entire fuging point when responding to someone inquiring why some people remember a guy like Gamble so fondly then complain about a guy like Brown being "disappointing" as a rookie. Team history at positions play a big role in how a fanbase views players. Then you got butthurt because you misunderstood what I was trying to say and after clarification you decided to try to go down a semantics rabbit hole while accusing me of being the one "moving the goal posts".

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Good grief, man. I don't know if you're extra salty today or if you're just not that bright but while you're accusing others of moving goal posts, you're the one with a goal post slung over your shoulder there with your qualifications of "all-time great". Gross is not an NFL all-time great. He IS a Panthers all-time great. Those two are not one in the same. Gross is so very fondly remembered by Panthers fans in large part due to the fact that for most of our history outside of the Gross era we have struggled (sometimes mightily) at LT. Which was my entire fuging point when responding to someone inquiring why some people remember a guy like Gamble so fondly then complain about a guy like Brown being "disappointing" as a rookie. Team history at positions play a big role in how a fanbase views players. Then you got butthurt because you misunderstood what I was trying to say and after clarification you decided to try to go down a semantics rabbit hole while accusing me of being the one "moving the goal posts".

You can water it down all you wish. The fact is, Gross was one of the best LT of his era. IF that is true, which it is. Then it is also true that he is one of the best LT of all time. 

He does not have to be a HOFer to be one of the best. But I guess for you, not being a HOFer is why you refuse to give him credit.

Just another example of you dissing on a Panther.

You just continue being you. The high and mighty you. And the rest of us will try and keep up. Mkay?

11 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

You can water it down all you wish. The fact is, Gross was one of the best LT of his era. IF that is true, which it is. Then it is also true that he is one of the best LT of all time. 

He does not have to be a HOFer to be one of the best. But I guess for you, not being a HOFer is why you refuse to give him credit.

Just another example of you dissing on a Panther.

You just continue being you. The high and mighty you. And the rest of us will try and keep up. Mkay?

So you're still down the semantics road of what qualifies as an "all-time great" while not moving the goal posts?

Okay, cool.

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

No one is saying Gross is a HOFer. We ARE saying that he is criminally undervalued by far too many people. Out of the thousands of LTs that have played. Jordan is near the top of that list. That does make you one of the all time best.

Also, there is plenty of attention given to Smitty. He is much more than just a Panther icon.

Gross is definitely not undervalued by our fans because that position had been such a dumpster fire since he left. In a large part it aided in losing our franchise QB to injuries.

I would say Gross was undervalued by the rest of the NFL fans, though. 

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So you're still down the semantics road of what qualifies as an "all-time great" while not moving the goal posts?

Okay, cool.

So I'm consistent, all while not moving the goal-posts? Man, I'm better than I thought I was. You could almost say I'm one of the all time greats.

I mean, is there anyone in the whole Panther Org. that you have'nt dissed on? Heaven forbid someone thinks Jordan is one of the all time best LTs. For shame, for shame.

It's okay. You like to dis on the Panthers. Have at it. You so seem to enjoy it. I'm out.

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

So I'm consistent, all while not moving the goal-posts? Man, I'm better than I thought I was. You could almost say I'm one of the all time greats.

I mean, is there anyone in the whole Panther Org. that you have'nt dissed on? Heaven forbid someone thinks Jordan is one of the all time best LTs. For shame, for shame.

It's okay. You like to dis on the Panthers. Have at it. You so seem to enjoy it. I'm out.

Yeah, you're still going down the same rabbit hole you started down after misunderstanding my initial point.

But hey man, I hope you have a good weekend. Taking a look at your posts today you're clearly not having a good day. Sincerely.

22 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Gross is definitely not undervalued by our fans because that position had been such a dumpster fire since he left. In a large part it aided in losing our franchise QB to injuries.

I would say Gross was undervalued by the rest of the NFL fans, though. 

There are a couple of folks in this thread that would argue that thought.

And almost 100% of other NFL fans have no clue who Jordan even is.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, you're still going down the same rabbit hole you started down after misunderstanding my initial point.

But hey man, I hope you have a good weekend. Taking a look at your posts today you're clearly not having a good day. Sincerely.

I think it is cute you think you have a thought that could go over my head. lol

I've read you for years. There was a reason I never conversed with you. Now I remember why.

Good weekend to you as well. 

Now get the last word in so you can feel better.

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You like this tactic but it ultimately makes me believe you are a teenager. 

Well darn, I guess I need to look in the mirror. Huh?

What are you, Mr White Knight? Riding to the rescue of the little guy. Admirable.

All seriousness aside. When you say "Don't get emotional" at the end of your posts. Is that not the same? Of course not. It's just you being you.

Or you calling me a teenager. Is that not the same thing?  Now get the last word in so we can put this to rest.

Edited by iamhubby1