• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Thomas taking advantage of another chance

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

It's my thinking that at the end of last year, they gave him homework on what to work on during the offseason. And he did. And it shows.

Or, I could be wrong. And he has one foot out the door.

I hope they all play well enough to give the coaches a hard decision. I feel like we're getting close to being constantly relevant...

I think he will make the team as our 3rd best TE, bit i think he is on the bubble. I doubt he will see the field much unless we use lots of 2 TE formations.

Otherwise, Darnold will be the pass catching TE and Tremble will be the blocker. 

I think rhules comments were mainly just for encouragement, but you have to factor that we brought in a decent free agent pass catcher and drafted a good blocker for a reason... i dont think the coaches are as high on thomas as their comments indicate...

37 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I gave up on expecting anything from Thomas.  He's been a waste of a roster spot up to this point so I don't care whether he makes it or not.  As far as I'm concerned it's next man up.

Thomas is so good, we had to bring in 2 other TEs to do his job. lol

1 hour ago, PantherPhann89 said:

I feel like we're getting close to being constantly relevant...

That's the panthers story since the beginning. Being constantly relevant was always sooo close.

reach GIF

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I gave up on expecting anything from Thomas.  He's been a waste of a roster spot up to this point so I don't care whether he makes it or not.  As far as I'm concerned it's next man up.

Ouch.  Blunt but true.  
“The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies room.”

13 hours ago, hepcat said:

It's almost like they're trying to talk themselves into keeping him around at this point haha

Oh no, this means his time with the Panthers is almost over, look for release after next OTA's.

14 minutes ago, glitchh8 said:

Oh no, this means his time with the Panthers is almost over, look for release after next OTA's.

There is a chance that if they don't bring in another TE, he could make it to Training Camp. And maybe beyond as the 3rd TE.

For a 2.2M cap savings, Thomas better be fairly impressive as the 3rd TE or he's going to get cut.  

The Panthers aren't strapped against the cap right now but I'm sure they could use that money more effectively somewhere else on the roster.  

On 6/4/2021 at 9:02 PM, Jon Snow said:

As fans we keep latching on to these JAG players with high ceilings(although sometimes they don't even have that) and wishing and hoping for them to be our next star. 

We do it with mid-round picks, late round picks, UDFA's, practice squad signings, camp bodies, Walmart distribution center stocker signings, etc.

I don't know what it is about a chunk of our fanbase that is always pining for the next JAG to superstar story. It happens every offseason, despite the prevailing statistics about the success rate of those kind of guys. 

Thomas was a 4th rounder and probably over drafted at that. He was always somewhat of a long shot to stick around and for all his athletic tools and gifts, he hasn't stood out. Not unlike many 4th-7th rounders that don't get selected in the first three rounds despite some possessing some elite skills. The farther down the draft you slip, the more warts that most of the league is seeing. It isn't surprising when those guys fail, it's surprising when they don't.

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

As fans we keep latching on to these JAG players with high ceilings(although sometimes they don't even have that) and wishing and hoping for them to be our next star. 

We do it with mid-round picks, late round picks, UDFA's, practice squad signings, camp bodies, Walmart distribution center stocker signings, etc.

I don't know what it is about a chunk of our fanbase that is always pining for the next JAG to superstar story. It happens every offseason, despite the prevailing statistics about the success rate of those kind of guys. 

Thomas was a 4th rounder and probably over drafted at that. He was always somewhat of a long shot to stick around and for all his athletic tools and gifts, he hasn't stood out. Not unlike many 4th-7th rounders that don't get selected in the first three rounds despite some possessing some elite skills. The farther down the draft you slip, the more warts that most of the league is seeing. It isn't surprising when those guys fail, it's surprising when they don't.

It's just called being a fan. It's not remotely limited to the Panthers. I don't know why you are so perplexed by fans being fans on a fan board.

Maybe you don't pay attention but players from all over the draft board become good nfl players.

Edited by Moo Daeng

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

It's just called being a fan. It's not remotely limited to the Panthers. I don't know why you are so perplexed by fans being fans on a fan board.

Maybe you don't pay attention but players from all over the draft board become good nfl players.

Our fanbase is more prone to JAG worshipping than the bulk of the other fanboards I surf. It's just weird.

I actually do pay attention, hence why I know the statistics on round by round success. 

It isn't surprising that you can't process that, as you typically just whine and bitch on here.

Edited by kungfoodude