• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Thomas taking advantage of another chance

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

It's almost like they're trying to talk themselves into keeping him around at this point haha

Exactly what I was thinking. They are really working hard to build or feign (not sure which at this point) confidence in him.  Fake it till you make it I guess.

I was really high on Thomas in the draft and he had a promising rookie season. It's been downhill ever since. I hope he can turn it around but I'm definitely in the "I'll believe it when I see it camp" on that one at this point.

Obviously, the staff is too since they signed a mid-level FA TE and drafted another in the 3rd. Getting praise from Rhule and his staff hasn't exactly always turned out to be a positive indicator for that player and his future with the Panthers.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Exactly what I was thinking. They are really working hard to build or feign (not sure which at this point) confidence in him.  Fake it till you make it I guess.

I don't think there's that much to it. They are making content about things people talk about online IMO.

2 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

I don't think there's that much to it. They are making content about things people talk about online IMO.

Probably. Just seems like there's been more of an unwarranted PR campaign for Thomas than others. It's just weird. They want him to step up I think, they just don't have the confidence in him which is why they brought in Donald and partially why they drafted Tremble.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, rayzor said:

Probably. Just seems like there's been more of an unwarranted PR campaign for Thomas than others. It's just weird. They want him to step up I think, they just don't have the confidence in him which is why they brought in Donald and partially why they drafted Tremble.

I absolutely believe out of the 3 TEs, Ian has the most talent. And it appears that whatever homework they gave him in his exit interview at the end of the year. It seems like he took it to heart. 

Now I'm spitballing here. But maybe, Rhule actually likes what Ian has brought to the table this year. As compared to last year. Hence the "He has been great" accolade.

Maybe Ian has found his legs. If he has, it makes us better. I can dig that.

• Pie 1

Ian’s very physically talented.  I hope he can put it together.  The old regime didn’t develop any receiving TE, Olsen fell into their lap (easily one of Hurney’s best moves) and everyone else was a blocker.  Maybe another year under this staff is just what he needs.  

• Pie 1

He was drafted on his elite athleticism as everyone knew he was extremely raw with like one year at the position in college. His first season here, he got by on his athleticism and no one having much tape on him. His second year, he could easily be game planned out of the picture, and it was probably super frustrating, and he reacted poorly by quitting on routes, etc.. Hopefully the coaching staff had a come to jeebus chat with him and he's refocused on becoming a true NFL TE. Guess we'll see. 

Piece of knowledge for Ian Thomas, in the queen city be sure to rent than buy. (tho the house market is insane, could make a few bucks.... in prep for your new job..)

I could see a practice squad with Thomas, Little, Pride, and Miller being the cream...

9 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

Or maybe he's having a better camp than he's ever had and they're acknowledging it.

It's my thinking that at the end of last year, they gave him homework on what to work on during the offseason. And he did. And it shows.

Or, I could be wrong. And he has one foot out the door.