• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Sunday Ticket’s last season (with DirectTV)

onmyown

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I’d shell out $400 a year to just stream all the games without signing up for directTV. I spend way more. Money going to sports bars every Sunday to watch the game ffs. 

Whoever gets the Sunday Ticket is definitely going to allow streaming since it’s how most people watch things anyways. Plus, Amazon and NBC have been doing it successfully for a few years now. 

You have had the ability to stream NFL Sunday Ticket without having DirecTV for years.  Comcast pissed me off so bad I went to DTV back around 2009.  I had it and Sunday Ticket up thru 2016.  Since then I've been with other providers and stream Sunday Ticket on my iPad and thru my Playstation to my TV.  

• Beer 1

I had Sunday ticket for ages but got fed up with directv and left a few years ago.  Since I get the panthers locally, the red zone channel suffices but if the full games are ever available without directv and legal, then I'd love to have them again.

1 minute ago, Wes21 said:

You have had the ability to stream NFL Sunday Ticket without having DirecTV for years.  Comcast pissed me off so bad I went to DTV back around 2009.  I had it and Sunday Ticket up thru 2016.  Since then I've been with other providers and stream Sunday Ticket on my iPad and thru my Playstation to my TV.  

How?  I thought that was if you were in places that couldn't have satellite.  Admittedly I haven't tried so I don't know if that is just honor system or how they know.  But since I had directv in the past, I figured they know I could have it and choose not to.

• Pie 1

Until people in rural America can get Broadband services, satellite television will have a prominent place. Between Directv and Dish, close to 25 million people use it. 

AT&T just sold a 30% stake in directv.  Most think it is the precursor to selling the satellite service to Dish, at which point AT&T will have nothing to do with satellite TV and will heavily push AT&TV and HBOmax, their streaming services.

In any event, the NFL Sunday ticket will be available on another platform soon.

Just now, w280sax said:

How?  I thought that was if you were in places that couldn't have satellite.  Admittedly I haven't tried so I don't know if that is just honor system or how they know.  But since I had directv in the past, I figured they know I could have it and choose not to.

Bingo. I tried to sign up for it, but couldn't since I live in an area where we have Dish.

I live in Texas now, so am I understanding this correctly - there is not going to be a way to watch Panthers games this year without subbing to DirecTV proper? No individual streaming package like in previous years?

I wish there was a way just to subscribe to individual teams games, like just a Panthers package or NFC South package for like 100 bucks. I’d be all over that.

Edited by joemac

14 minutes ago, joemac said:

I live in Texas now, so am I understanding this correctly - there is not going to be a way to watch Panthers games this year without subbing to DirecTV proper? No individual streaming package like in previous years?

I wish there was a way just to subscribe to individual teams games, like just a Panthers package or NFC South package for like 100 bucks. I’d be all over that.

The NFL will remain reticent to offer that kind of product for fear of having a dip in both TV deal value and ad revenue. 

I do think it is sort of inevitable that it happens.

56 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If you don't allow streaming in the modern era, you will lose advertising revenue and subscribers. 

The days of the majority of people having cable or satellite TV are coming to an end.

I think the days of TV channels are coming to a end as well. They have for years forced cable and satellite to buy huge packages for one or two decent channels. Local TV is the same. Now people have moved on to more of a content based watching. 

52 minutes ago, Snake said:

I think the days of TV channels are coming to a end as well. They have for years forced cable and satellite to buy huge packages for one or two decent channels. Local TV is the same. Now people have moved on to more of a content based watching. 

Happy to chat the world of tv business models over in the Huddle Lounge or Nerdvana forums so as not to clog up the Panthers forum with non-football related conversation.

nutshell: Channels aren't going away. How you access them or what they're bundled with is a different story. And think of "bundles" as yesterday's cable-TV packages.

12 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

when AT&T bought DirecTV I was out.

They don't know anything about customer loyalty.

Yep.  Att ruined  dtv...from support to pricing etc 

had dtv for many years and other than the outages due to t storms. No technical gripes 

I’m a golfer and tennis player so being able to get the extra rds of  coverage in the big tournaments other than the same four players over and over again is great 

I’ve loved Sunday ticket as I have to be in CA frequently 

Direct TV sucks.  I ditched them about 8 years ago.  I had the BASIC package and they would go up $10 a year.  So over a period of time I was paying $180 a month just for their most vanilla package with ZERO premium channel upgrades.  I love how some companies reward loyal customers with continuous rate hikes just so they can lure in new customers with introductory offers.  I briefly tried U-verse before cutting the cable altogether and I couldn't be happier without a huge monthly cable/satellite bill!!!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1