• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk the business of broadcast / cable / satellite / streaming TV

PanthersATL

I know I pay basically a cable bill, but I'd rather pay for what I'm watching:

$8 - Discovery

$8 - Disney (with ESPN+/Hulu Bundle)

$12 - Hulu (minus Disney subsidy) 

$15 - HBO

$15 - Netflix

$8 - Paramount

Amazon (not counting since it's part of the life style lol)

Total:  $66

But I don't have to watch many ads at all.  I also have a TV antenna for my live sports needs. I pay spectrum the $76 or whatever it is.  Ouch town, but it's the best option for us right now.

So that puts me at $142.  I can't recall the exact prices off hand, but that's pretty close I think.

How much would it cost for Cable, a DVR, multiroom service + HBO?  Over $200.  Personally, I'm super happy with my various streaming packages!  They generally work, and they also we get to watch what we want to watch on our own schedule.  Even if we had cable, we'd still want to have Netflix and Disney + for their original programming.

Say what you will, I love my HBO, and I will keep paying for it.  2-3 movies a month (as a family), several series I watch...  It's easier than trying to find decent quality torrents.

With Hulu (not live, just commercial free), I LOVE the library of on demand titles.  So long as hulu has that, we'll keep paying for it.  Being able to watch shows a day or two after they air is also super cool.

Edited by d-dave
One more thing...

HULU is raising their prices in October.

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/hulu-price-increase-streaming-plans-1235057717/ 

On Tuesday, Hulu began notifying subscribers that as of Oct. 8, the price of Hulu’s two on-demand plans — with ads and without commercials — will increase by $1 for both current and new subscribers. Hulu with ads will increase from $5.99 to $6.99 per month and Hulu (No Ads) will increase from $11.99 to $12.99.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hulu+Live is raising their price by $5/month.

In this case, I'm okay with the price increase as they're adding additional value to those subscribers by including Disney+ and ESPN+ on the subscription (whether you want those services or not)

It's certainly better than a price increase for the sake of price increases, without anything better being provided to the consumer