• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold's QBR was higher than Tannehill's

SBBlue

I just looked this up and Tannehill had a higher QBR than Darnold every year besides 2018. In that traditional rating Tannehill was slightly worse in his 1st 2 seasons, but he beat Darnold his 3rd season and never had a rating lower than Darnold's best after that.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14876/ryan-tannehill

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3912547/sam-darnold

I think you can walk away feeling a bit better than Darnold isn't a lost cause when comparing the numbers, but it certainly doesn't say Darnold was the better QB in his first 3 seasons by comparison. The biggest concern is the disparity in completion percentage. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 4

3 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

I just looked this up and Tannehill had a higher QBR than Darnold every year besides 2018. In that traditional rating Tannehill was slightly worse in his 1st 2 seasons, but he beat Darnold his 3rd season and never had a rating lower than Darnold's best after that.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14876/ryan-tannehill

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3912547/sam-darnold

I think you can walk away feeling a bit better than Darnold isn't a lost cause when comparing the numbers, but it certainly doesn't say Darnold was the better QB in his first 3 seasons by comparison. The biggest concern is the disparity in completion percentage. 

Which years was Tannehill better?

1 hour ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Yeah, but the Jets atrocious OL have to be taken into account too. They were worse than the Bell/Chandler Panthers OL of 2014 where Cam scored 18 TDs to 12 picks in a 7-8-1 season.

Sam isn't exactly getting it easy here either though. Our line is serviceable but we are a few injuries away from catastrophe until proven otherwise. Not to mention we are basically entering the season hoping one of a few tackles emerges as the anchor on the left side. But that is what we have done the last ten years and it hasn't worked yet so fingers crossed I guess.

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Which years was Tannehill better?

In each of their first 3 seasons:

QBR

Tannehill takes all 3

QB Rating (traditional)

Darnold

Darnold

Tannehill

The only time Tannehill would post a QBR lower than Darnold was in 2018, and even then it's odd because his Rating is a lot higher, and the stats are much better for Tannehill. 

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

Sam isn't exactly getting it easy here either though. Our line is serviceable but we are a few injuries away from catastrophe until proven otherwise. Not to mention we are basically entering the season hoping one of a few tackles emerges as the anchor on the left side. But that is what we have done the last ten years and it hasn't worked yet so fingers crossed I guess.

This ain't your daddys' Panthers. There is a possibility they have a plan. Rhule is a sharp cookie, let's see what he's got before we torch the place. At least that is how this cockeyed optimist views it.

I could be wrong, but I am not going to throw a hissy until things get sorted out. In Rhule we trust. All others. Keep your pants on until at least TC. Mkay?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, hepcat said:

Will Darnold look better than he did last season? 100% absolutely I guarantee it. Better coaching, better scheme, better playmakers, better culture, better everything.

Will Darnold perform better than Teddy Bridgewater? That's a tough thing to predict. Bridgewater played well at times but mainly failed in the red zone and at the end of games. If Darnold can perform around the same as Bridgewater but deliver more success in critical situations, the Panthers could be a playoff team.

He could also be a colossal failure if his psyche is broken and the Jets truly ruined him. 

I just don't see us as a playoff team no matter how it pans out. Better than last year is a must even though its early in the process.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

In each of their first 3 seasons:

QBR

Tannehill takes all 3

QB Rating (traditional)

Darnold

Darnold

Tannehill

The only time Tannehill would post a QBR lower than Darnold was in 2018, and even then it's odd because his Rating is a lot higher, and the stats are much better for Tannehill. 

Ok.  Since you won't post years, I'm assuming you are using years that Tannehill wasn't under Gase.

The premise of the post was to compare GASE years of the two QBs.

Edited by SBBlue

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

Ok.  Since you won't post years, I'm assuming you are using years that Tannehill wasn't under Gase.

The premise of the post was to compare GASE years of the to QBs.

You mean you can't just compare QBs willy nilly? That there are rules? Noooo, that doesn't sound right. lol

• Pie 1

You know, there’s been a ton of hype around our defense this offseason and for good reason. This defense, at least on paper, looks scary. It’s very fast and if our secondary holds up then I anticipate a lot of pressure on opposing QBs this year.

What isn’t getting talked about is how good this offense could be if Darnold can just be a middle of the league QB. We have so many weapons it’s insane. And if this OLine and QB can be just average then this offense is going to be scary good as well imo.

Everything will still be going through CMC. But we have Moore, Anderson, Marshall, Moore, Tremble, Arnold... there is some serious talent on the offensive side of the ball man.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

The premise of the post was to compare GASE years of the two QBs.

You realize he said "first three seasons" in his post, right?

Read it again.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

You know, there’s been a ton of hype around our defense this offseason and for good reason. This defense, at least on paper, looks scary. It’s very fast and if our secondary holds up then I anticipate a lot of pressure on opposing QBs this year.

What isn’t getting talked about is how good this offense could be if Darnold can just be a middle of the league QB. We have so many weapons it’s insane. And if this OLine and QB can be just average then this offense is going to be scary good as well imo.

Everything will still be going through CMC. But we have Moore, Anderson, Marshall, Moore, Tremble, Arnold... there is some serious talent on the offensive side of the ball man.

I like the cut of your gib. Is that right? This is the time of year for unbridled optimism. Screw that wait and see, or the doom and gloom. Give me the excitement an upcoming season brings.

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You realize he said "first three seasons" in his post, right?

Read it again.

Ok.  First three seasons of what...in the league, with Gase.....  That is why I asked for the years.  

Edited by SBBlue
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Ok.  First three seasons of what...in the league, with Gase.....  That is why I asked for the years.  

I didn't really think he needed to explain that but I guess I was wrong. 

He is talking about first three years in the NFL. That info takes 5 seconds to reference on PFR.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, SBBlue said:

lol  Everybody has there own rules. Tough to keep up sometimes. 3 different people ,with 3 different slants. You go boyyo.