• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF says the Panthers have the 31st ranked OL corp in the NFL this year

CanadianCat

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

I wonder if that was a priority in this draft class, some type of durability measure based on number of starts/injuries etc.

IMO, yes. I didn't see many guys outside Horn that I would consider starting quality but I see a lot of guys that will bolster the depth.

That is one underappreciated issue we had last season. Make no mistake, that was likely the least talented roster to ever play for the Panthers. A lot of that was the depth. Once you got past our starters(some of which were of dubio7s quality anyway), the absolute bottom fell out. 

I think that improved substantially this offseason. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

I’m not sure how you judge a line that’s never played together.

Until I see them suck I won’t get my panties twisted.

So that puts you squarely in tier 2. The wait and see crowd. lol

It's easier that way. You get to watch the 1s, and 3s duke it out. And just enjoy the Huddle for what it is. Entertainment.

Myself? I'm a 3. A cockeyed optimist. 1+2=3.

50 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Our WRs and RB are a strength. We added some nice additions to the young D that was right around average so our D is very likely considered a strength now. Our OL and QB are the biggest question marks. Not every part of the team is average.

I agree with PFF on our OL ranking. We have Moton and honestly a lot of hope. Hope for rookies to take over and hope that Erving and Elflein play well. When 4 of the 5 spots are rated an average of mid 50s, that’s a bad OL. It would be like having two Tre Boston’s and two Juston Burris’ on the OL with Moton based on how they were ranked last year. That’s not a bottom OL? I think Darnold will improve so I’d say OL is the worst part of our team and the worst part of a 7.5 - 9.5 team is going to be ranked at the bottom.

Not sure if you have surfed this place recently but the sunshine squad is throwing hissy fits at just about any inkling of criticism or thought process that doesn't include everyone on the roster as an All Pro.

You know, standard extremist thought in the modern age? One of these fuging idiots last night kept repeating some poo like "never give up, fight the good fight" or some such drivel.

Remember when you could just debate competing points and not have people lose their minds?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Again, Arnold’s making $3M a year which is more than Thomas. You can’t just look at year 1 base salaries as the team is trying to minimize cap hits. Also, Thomas is getting almost $2M in CBA achievements. That salty isn’t his 4th round rookie deal. I’d say betting money is that the Panthers will save $2M and get rid of Thomas.

Too bad you didn’t read it, maybe we’d be done. You now are talking about Rivera and vets? They just took the likely starters dude. The same likely starters that we had a thread on in here that most people agreed with and contract is something we can use.

You didn’t really read @kungfoodude’s post. He said the exact same thing as me. You interpreted two of words as if he said they should be ranked higher. His opening statement is: I think we are a safe bet to rate very lowly before the season. We made some ho-hum signings in free agency and then we added predominately lower rated and lower drafted prospects.

That’s not what you are interpreting. You took two words when he basically said what I did that it’s not surprising we are ranked so low. We didn’t add anything to the starters and again PFF isn’t coming up with new calculations they are just using last year’s actual grades and probably dinging us a bit for having 3 new starters which isn’t usually a good thing. 

SMH, they are using last year’s PFF rankings for the likely starters and maybe adding some special sauce like deducting points because there are 3 new starters. Even though panties are getting wadded already, it’s a preseason ranking not a what’s your gut feel or how did they look in preseason.

You just hate it when folks don't bend to your way of thinking don't ya?

Ya I know. Stay out of it. Gotcha.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

There are just to many wrong points in there.  Done going back and forth with you.  At some point the Panthers will post the depth chart and one of us will be wrong.  In the mean time....

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

• Beer 1

36 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Did you read  his post.   Some are underachieving and some are UNDERATED.

The pff score is a wildly inaccurate guess in a spreadsheet.  They don't even know who to grade or how to rate the rookies.  At this point it has no bearing in reality.

I did literally say what he said, FWIW.

Any preseason rankings are wildly inaccurate guesses....that's what preseason ratings are. 

Usually people only lose their minds about it when they just don't want to hear it.

Ranking us last is not at all unreasonable. By all their metrics ranking the players they have rated, we probably are last. I would ABSOLUTELY place us firmly in the bottom 10 units in the NFL at this juncture, albeit maybe not last. 

How could you possibly rate us highly given the massive questions along the line? No reasonable person should assume the signings we made and draft picks we have would make us a good offensive line. 

They have to go out and PROVE that to be wrong. I thought everyone was relatively on the same page with that opinion, TBH.

Our QB and OL situation are completely up in the air. Those two groups will likely be the biggest factors in our success or failure this coming season.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, stbugs said:

Yep, that’s it. Anything to add or just don’t like when people enjoy discussing stuff?

I have lots of content. Try reading some. It is actually quite entertaining. And I don't have to write a novelette every time just to prove a point. But hey, that's just the way I roll.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep, that’s it. Anything to add or just don’t like when people enjoy discussing stuff?

Oh you should look at that dolts history recently.

I think he might have been the one that was saying crazy, drunk poo last night. I can't keep them all straight. I just assume it is one group of alts since they parrot the same nonsense in every thread.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I did literally say what he said, FWIW.

Uhh, you are literally using literally wrong there.

Yours was more balanced, calling players underrated as well as some underachieving.

PFF was going to rate us low, I agree with that, that doesn't mean its right.

But here's the point, do you believe our oline where it stands today is the 2nd worst in the league?  

Just now, SBBlue said:

Uhh, you are literally using literally wrong there.

Yours was more balanced, calling players underrated as well as some underachieving.

PFF was going to rate us low, I agree with that, that doesn't mean its right.

But here's the point, do you believe our oline where it stands today is the 2nd worst in the league?  

Uh...no, I literally said the same thing. You just liked the way I said it better because it had a little hope sprinkled in. 

Do I believe we are second to last? Very possibly. I would say as we sit here today, easily bottom 10 with a strong case for bottom 5. 

The thing is, there isn't a great case to be made based on history for this group to be better than last year. Especially without Okung. 

The free agent signings/acquisitions are not better on paper than what we acquired last year. Frankly, those largely didn't work out. 

The draft picks we acquired are from a range in the draft where they are statistically less likely to very unlikely to be impact players for us as starters.

Does that mean any of them couldn't defy those odds and be good or even great? Of course not. It is not something I would bet any substantial money on because we are counting largely on outliers being successful. That isn't how I like my odds.

• Pie 2

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Uh...no, I literally said the same thing. You just liked the way I said it better because it had a little hope sprinkled in. 

Yes, so its not LITERAL...forget it

Do I believe we are second to last? Very possibly. I would say as we sit here today, easily bottom 10 with a strong case for bottom 5. 

Yeah,   I think you are wrong there.   Scott did just fine last year.  Our line did not drop through the floor this year, to bottom 5, or 2.  

The thing is, there isn't a great case to be made based on history for this group to be better than last year. Especially without Okung. 

Okung played 7 games, we lost them all.  He had a medical condition.   I don't think getting him will help our line, but PFF sure will think so.

The free agent signings/acquisitions are not better on paper than what we acquired last year. Frankly, those largely didn't work out. 

I do agree that our signings are bad this year.  Okung looked like a good signing, but wasn't.  Not because of his play, its because he didn't.

We may not agree, but the other guy is like angry... talking about dogs and panties and stuff.  He's longer winded than me...and that's saying something.