• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Athletic - Sam Darnold Film Analysis

hepcat

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think he is even capable of playing that conservative style of football anyway. He has always been a gunslinger. 

If we or he tried to change that, he'd probably be out of the league in a season.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel, we just need him to make progress as far as making progressions, making reads and not generally going full Favre.

They tried fixing Jake after the Cards fiasco to try and make him more conventional and it broke him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

It took a while but Cam adjusted well to taking the check downs and it was working until injuries caught up. Cam was better at throwing the ball away when nothing was there though. If Sam can split the difference I can see it working, game manage first, Yolo gunsling when you have nothing else but the option of taking a Teddy style sack

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rip Scherer...oy 🙄

Mike McCoy was horrible, but he was horrible because he was useless and didn't do anything which was fine because Jake was an old dog just doing his thing. 

Then they got Rip who got in Jake's head and screwed him up. They tried at some point to back off and let Jake be Jake, but it was too late. 

I have to admit I was glad to see a QB coach that did more than pal around with Jake and tell him to throw balls into a bucket like McCoy did, but Rip was a micromanager to the extreme.

That coaching staff just dropped off a cliff when Henning was fired. No coaching change they made from then on was an upgrade. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

I fully agree with the reports that Sam Darnold’s athleticism, anticipation, quick release and ability to make every throw on and off platform flash enough on film to hold on to optimism that he can salvage his career here with the Panthers.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

If you watch tape is can be easy to get excited about some of the tools that Sam does have.  He definitely can make some throws and he is more athletic than some think.

I'll be honest though, some of this stats from clean pockets is a bit concerning, at that point you lose the bad o-line excuse.  You give a really good QB a clean pocket, and I don't care who the play caller is I'm guessing they are going to make good things happen also.

With Brady calling plays and our skill positions players I expect him to play better.  Only question is will he play good enough to warrant a franchise contract.  The worst thing that can happen is for him to play just good enough for us to overpay.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 5
  • Poo 1

8 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

If you watch tape is can be easy to get excited about some of the tools that Sam does have.  He definitely can make some throws and he is more athletic than some think.

I'll be honest though, some of this stats from clean pockets is a bit concerning, at that point you lose the bad o-line excuse.  You give a really good QB a clean pocket, and I don't care who the play caller is I'm guessing they are going to make good things happen also.

With Brady calling plays and our skill positions players I expect him to play better.  Only question is will he play good enough to warrant a franchise contract.  The worst thing that can happen is for him to play just good enough for us to overpay.

If we extend him for being mediocre, the war drums will be beating for Rhule and his staff to be gone.

I see only two logical options; Darnold is the guy and the search is over, Darnold is not the guy and we jettison him.

• Beer 1

31 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Mike McCoy was horrible, but he was horrible because he was useless and didn't do anything which was fine because Jake was an old dog just doing his thing. 

Then they got Rip who got in Jake's head and screwed him up. They tried at some point to back off and let Jake be Jake, but it was too late. 

I have to admit I was glad to see a QB coach that did more than pal around with Jake and tell him to throw balls into a bucket like McCoy did, but Rip was a micromanager to the extreme.

That coaching staff just dropped off a cliff when Henning was fired. No coaching change they made from then on was an upgrade. 

And I mean Henning’s strategy was “run the ball and throw the ball to Steve Smith”

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If we extend him for being mediocre, the war drums will be beating for Rhule and his staff to be gone.

I see only two logical options; Darnold is the guy and the search is over, Darnold is not the guy and we jettison him.

I think it depends…. If he goes from 32nd to a mediocre 16th QBR that is quite a jump. I would assume he would continue to grow in develop in our new system/staff the following year. That’s around Matt Ryan’s ranking this past year. I seriously doubt he will go from last to top of the league in one season in a new system.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I think it depends…. If he goes from 32nd to a mediocre 16th QBR that is quite a jump. I would assume he would continue to grow in develop in our new system/staff the following year. That’s around Matt Ryan’s ranking this past year. I seriously doubt he will go from last to top of the league in one season in a new system.

I wouldn't even put a QBR rating/ranking on it. He just needs to show he is the guy. Win close games, make big throws at critical times, don't consistently hurt the team with boneheaded decisions and generally LEAD a very successful offense. And do all that when things are going well and when they aren't.

You do all that, and you are the guy. I don't imagine he is likely to be a QBR darling because he is a low completion percentage thrower and will always struggle with TD:INT ratio. Jake wasn't too far off that and he worked out.

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You do all that, and you are the guy. I don't imagine he is likely to be a QBR darling because he is a low completion percentage thrower and will always struggle with TD:INT ratio. Jake wasn't too far off that and he worked out.

If Sam Darnold can be as good as Jake was in his prime i will be happy and satisfied.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

22 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I wouldn't even put a QBR rating/ranking on it. He just needs to show he is the guy. Win close games, make big throws at critical times, don't consistently hurt the team with boneheaded decisions and generally LEAD a very successful offense. And do all that when things are going well and when they aren't.

Yeah that seems more than fair to me.