• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper says "no way in hell" he'll build a dome

57 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

There is a stigma attached to "Dome" teams. And it does seem to hold water. Real men play outdoors in any kind of weather.

© 2021 ABG-SI LLC. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

One of the most curious phenomena in football is the historic struggles of dome teams in the playoffs.

The basics are this: home teams have gone 234-110 in the playoffs since the AFL merger. That's a rock-solid .680 winning percentage..

Dome teams simply underperform in the playoffs, in some cases badly.

All three, meanwhile, are famed for their postseason failures.

It's not a lot of data, but in all these cases these teams underperform the average NFL club in the playoffs, both at home in their domes and on the road.

Domes, to put another way, seem to be an organizational handicap come playoff time. This handicap manifests itself in three different ways:

1) Dome teams simply do not deal well with the wintry elements when they go outdoors. This is a fairly widely held opinion. And the data certainly supports this opinion. In each case, they perform worse than the typical road team in the playoffs.

2) More interestingly, outdoor teams seem to blossom when they experience the climate-controlled conditions of the dome.

3) Cold-weather teams that build domes take away a huge organizational advantage: Mother Nature. The cold-weather Packers did not suffer a single home playoff loss from 1939 through 2001, before their streak was ended.
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

© 2021 ABG-SI LLC. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

One of the most curious phenomena in football is the historic struggles of dome teams in the playoffs.

The basics are this: home teams have gone 234-110 in the playoffs since the AFL merger. That's a rock-solid .680 winning percentage..

Dome teams simply underperform in the playoffs, in some cases badly.

All three, meanwhile, are famed for their postseason failures.

It's not a lot of data, but in all these cases these teams underperform the average NFL club in the playoffs, both at home in their domes and on the road.

Domes, to put another way, seem to be an organizational handicap come playoff time. This handicap manifests itself in three different ways:

1) Dome teams simply do not deal well with the wintry elements when they go outdoors. This is a fairly widely held opinion. And the data certainly supports this opinion. In each case, they perform worse than the typical road team in the playoffs.

2) More interestingly, outdoor teams seem to blossom when they experience the climate-controlled conditions of the dome.

3) Cold-weather teams that build domes take away a huge organizational advantage: Mother Nature. The cold-weather Packers did not suffer a single home playoff loss from 1939 through 2001, before their streak was ended.

Sooo...We already have a franchise that has struggled to be successful. Let's add a dome, just to add to the challenge.

Or to flip that. We already play outdoors, and we still struggle to win. Soooo...don't build a dome, we already have difficulty winning.

Ah hellz, I don't know.

• Beer 2

10 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

From what I have heard, Tepper loves the basic structure of Lucas Oil so I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what the new stadium is based on.

Please don't take this the wrong way. Link, or it didn't happen.

Lucas Oil is kinda old too, isn't it? I know Michigan State bought the b-ball court for their new arena after winning the Natty. That was turn of the century.

Edited by iamhubby1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

Please don't take this the wrong way. Link, or it didn't happen.

Lucas Oil is kinda old too, isn't it? I know Michigan State bought the b-ball court for their new arena after winning the Natty. That was turn of the century.

I don’t have a link but it’s word of mouth. Lucas Oil is older but think for a second...it’s hosted a number of final 4s and other big events and is retractable. I mean the Panthers version would be a lot more up to date but more of just the idea of how it functions.

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I don’t have a link but it’s word of mouth. Lucas Oil is older but think for a second...it’s hosted a number of final 4s and other big events and is retractable. I mean the Panthers version would be a lot more up to date but more of just the idea of how it functions.

I was just trying to yank your chain. Sorry if it came off badly. Yeah, that is a beautiful older building. You defiantly could do worse. I love the way the Sun follows the windows. Cool feeling. From the tv anyway.

My nephew lived a few miles from there and he said it "Had Style".  He was fresh out of college at the time.

Edited by iamhubby1

Tepper hopefully knows he's got to build some good will (in the form of winning consistently) with the community/fans if he's going to ask for money for a new stadium.  When that time does come, he's going to have to sweeten the pot, particularly with political officials, by building a dome/retractable roof so it can be used for multiple events, thus creating more revenue for the city/hotels/restaurants.