• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper says "no way in hell" he'll build a dome

Panthers owner David Tepper: I'm not building a new stadium alone | wcnc.com

"You know, at some point that building [Bank of America Stadium] will fall down," Tepper said. "I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not building a stadium alone. The community's going to have to want it."

Bank of America Stadium, which opened in 1996, is currently one of the oldest venues in the NFL. The Panthers, as well as Tepper's newest franchise, Charlotte FC, have made upgrades to the stadium to enhance the fan experience. 

As for the location of a new stadium, Tepper seems happy with Uptown Charlotte, saying a new facility could be built on top of the existing stadium. Should that be the case, the Panthers would need a temporary home for a season or two. The team played home games during the inaugural 1995 season at Clemson's Memorial Stadium. 

18 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Didn't the city of Charlotte contribute several million dollars for upgrades that were just completed a year ago? I doubt they thought the stadium was falling down anytime soon. I do not see an appetite in the near future for a new stadium.

Yes, to the tune of $125,000,000.

The dolts on CLT City Council straight-away folded to Jerry Richardson's move-to-LA gambit...there was 0% chance of that happening.

Conversely, it's important to remember that then Gov. Pat McCrory faced the same strong-arm attempt to extract State of NC funds for the stadium upgrades...he looked Richardson in the eye and Just Said NO. 

It appears he may run unopposed but be sure to vote for Billy Maddalon in the next CLT City Council election...Billy isn't afraid to Just Say NO.

Vote wisely!

image.thumb.png.5359291427069f48cea8537c8197d858.png

image.thumb.png.32f4a9da6e70c9c8761c4d8ad84a82a7.png

Edited by SizzleBuzz

We will need a new stadium at some point. While honestly BofA will be fine for 20 years that just isn't the current climate. Tepper will build a state of the art facility and it will be badass. And CLT/NC will help pay for it in a myriad of ways. will be fun.

If they move from uptown permanently or for a few years I probably will stop PSLs. who knows.

ohh yeah. I remember the days just a few short years ago when many here were swishing their mouths with Tepper's balls, singing his praises and almost as if he was Andrew Luck 2.0. 

Now suddenly that same "in your face" businessman that everyone was so ready to embrace as the hero JR wasn't,  is the scorn of this thread? How DARE he run a business! How dare he use PR and taxes and the city and leverage to advance his position and interests...lol. 

Exactly the wine and cheese reputation! It fits~

5 hours ago, Pimpdaddy said:

Wonder how the homeless in CLT feel about billionaire welfare....

Few even care. Charlotte is beginning to resemble any other generic big city. You would think it wouldn't be a discussion met with ridicule considering everything the world has been through the last year and the increasing wealth gap only growing larger along with the net worth of many of these billionaires. But heads will remain buried in the sand. It is the American way and the wealthy don't want educated consumers they want that cash flow.

18 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

lol So...not a fan huh? Of Tepper in specific? Or Billionaires in general?

Billionaires in general. They're the biggest welfare queens in the country by miles. If you have that money you don't need Government handouts.

We can use that money to fix bridges, water pipes, and pay teachers and firefighters.

Building that stadium through his own money would be a drop in the bucket to Tepper.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

On 6/8/2021 at 2:12 PM, trueblade said:

Translation: the community is going to have to pay for it.

As they should pay some to be honest.  If the city of Charlotte wants to use it on it's skyline and to use it to promote the city which they will....then they should.

I mean, he gets to stay in HIS perfectly climate-controlled super-premium billionaire box, right?

So s’all good!

”No sir! We need that oppressing southern humidity and thunderstorms! That’s TRADITION! That’s FOOTBALL! [Aside to his harem: “Could you wave that feather fan a little harder, dear? And, oh, the pinot needs to be placed in some fresh ice!”]

Its shockingly to find how much of a true impact having a new stadium is. Its about the same effect as having a large target...... Trepper should be aware concrete form roman times is still up 2,000 years later, so that poor comment about it falling down is very poor. Bragging is the main reason for new stadium, sorta like buying a new SUV to flex on your golf club members.....but soon after its one year old and someone else has bought the latest improved model...

8 hours ago, Happy Panther said:

We will need a new stadium at some point. While honestly BofA will be fine for 20 years that just isn't the current climate. Tepper will build a state of the art facility and it will be badass. And CLT/NC will help pay for it in a myriad of ways. will be fun.

If they move from uptown permanently or for a few years I probably will stop PSLs. who knows.

Charlotte might, but I think the state government doing it depends on who is in charge.  I don't imagine Tepper is very popular with the current state legislative leaders.  

• Pie 1