• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Seattle Expansion Draft

Anybodyhome

34 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Can anyone provide an accurate list of Canes players who are vulnerable to the Kraken expansion draft? I've heard a lot, read a lot of speculation, but is there an actual list of those who could find themselves in Seattle? 

I have a list somewhere but I can’t find it. 

Staal, Necas and Lorentz are the only protected off the top of my head. Maybe Ned but I don’t think so. I’ll find an actual list though. 

• Pie 1

These expansion draft rules are too favorable to the new team. Basically you can protect your top two lines minus one forward, and your top 2 defensive pairings minus one defenseman. The other half of your roster is open for the draft. No wonder Vegas was so good so quickly. 

• Pie 2

Defensemen:

Canes only have 4 blueliners under contract for the 21-22 season with 40 games played this season or 70 in the past 2 seasons and they have to leave one unprotected:

Slavin, Pesce, Skjei and Jake Gardiner. Jake played but 26 games this season, but played 68 last, so he's eligible to be drafted. I think the team has little choice but to let Jake go to protect Slavin, Pesce and Skjei.

Let Dougie walk, new contracts to Jani, Bean and LaJoie (RFA) and go find a couple FAs.

• Pie 3

42 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Forwards:

Scary situation here. Who are you going to expose (and it has to be 2 of these)?:

Aho, TT, Nino, Staal, Trocheck, Fast, Necas

Staal can't be exposed- he's got a no movement clause.

Tro and Nino are the ones I think we might see left unprotected. Staal and Necas are exempt but staal still counts against the protection total unless he waves his clause.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

It will be Brady Skjei they take unless we come to an agreement.

I don’t think so we brought Brady in post Francis. The reason we got rid of fleury is so we could protect Bean. I could see Francis trying to grab one of the younger forwards he drafted and began to develop if we tossed him a pick too. 

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Defensemen:

Canes only have 4 blueliners under contract for the 21-22 season with 40 games played this season or 70 in the past 2 seasons and they have to leave one unprotected:

Slavin, Pesce, Skjei and Jake Gardiner. Jake played but 26 games this season, but played 68 last, so he's eligible to be drafted. I think the team has little choice but to let Jake go to protect Slavin, Pesce and Skjei.

Let Dougie walk, new contracts to Jani, Bean and LaJoie (RFA) and go find a couple FAs.

I think we might try and buy Gardiner out. Maybe he had a slump year but it’s pretty clear the coaches are trending away from him. Paa is a must sign for me. Give him a full offseason and camp with the guys and I bet he could be paired up with Slavin or Skjei. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

These expansion draft rules are too favorable to the new team. Basically you can protect your top two lines minus one forward, and your top 2 defensive pairings minus one defenseman. The other half of your roster is open for the draft. No wonder Vegas was so good so quickly. 

There is little doubt but what the draft put them in competition mode.

• Pie 1