• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round Two, Game 5, 6*, 7* - Win or Done.

Harbingers

* If the Canes lose once, * games won’t be played.

"Game 5

(3) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (1) Carolina Hurricanes

Tampa Bay leads series 3-1

Tuesday, June 8, 6:30 p.m.

Watch: NBCSN

Listen: 99.9 FM The Fan, Hurricanes.com/Listen, Hurricanes app

Tracking the Storylines

Needing Niederreiter: Nino Niederreiter practiced with the Canes on Monday and is "hopeful" to play in Game 5, according to head coach Rod Brind'Amour. Niederreiter, who had not skated with the team in more than a week, has missed the first four games of this series with an upper-body injury. Niederreiter tallied 20 goals, including four on the power play, in the regular season.

More Injury Notes: Vincent Trocheck and Warren Foegele skated with the extras but did not practice with the Canes on Monday. Both remain game-time decisions for Game 5. Trocheck has missed the last two games with a lower-body injury, while Foegele aggravated an upper-body injury in Game 3 but was able to play in Game 4.

Make History: The challenge ahead of the Canes is not an easy one, but when has it ever been so for this team? The Canes are going to have to rattle off three straight wins against the defending Stanley Cup champions, a team that is 10-0 in playoff games following a loss since 2020. Two of those three games are on home ice, though, so the Canes will have to steal just one more game on the road. First thing's first, though: Game 5, and the Canes are 2-2 in such scenarios. The Lightning have never lost a series they've led 3-1 (11-0), and the Canes have never erased such a series deficit (0-4). If they do, though, they'd become the 31st team in NHL history and the second this very postseason to do so.

"You know there is no tomorrow. This is it. You've got to lay it all on the line," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said on Monday. "I'm sure we'll give it everything we've got. I've got no doubt in this group.""

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/game-5-preview-tampa-bay-lightning-carolina-hurricanes/c-325232680

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/game-5-projected-lineup-tampa-bay-lightning-carolina-hurricanes/c-325247446

"With that in mind and based on lines used in practice on Monday, here is the projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Niederreiter-Trocheck-Necas
McGinn-Staal-Fast
Paquette-Lorentz-Martinook

Defensemen

Slavin-Hamilton
Bean-Pesce
Skjei-Hakanpaa

Goalies

"I think I'll let you guys marinate on the goalie today," Brind'Amour smirked. "Add a little excitement to the day."

Injury: Foegele (upper body)

Scratches: Bibeau, Gardiner, Geekie, Keane, Lajoie, McCormick, McKeown, Reimer, Ryan, Shore, Suzuki"

Now is the time for this team to show why they finished first in the division and third in the league. I want to see some serious physical play and goal scoring. If I had to bet it’s Ned tonight, I can’t see Rod and the goalie room going back to Mraz after a six goal game even if this one is at home. But who knows. Not sure who is ref tonight but hopefully it’s not Francis. If we can get this one with some momentum going into a potential game six in Tampa, I’ll feel good about it. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 2