• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Available BIGs this Free Agency

bLACKpANTHER

Honorable Mentions:
Jarrett Allen (RFA) - Cleveland gave up a 1st Rnd pick to get him in the trade with HOU/BRK for Harden. We would have to throw Max $$ to him and cross our fingers that CLE doesn't match - which they 100% would. It ain't happening.
Mitchell Robinson (RFA) - Coming off a fractured foot - Knicks will most definitely exercise their option to retain him.
Zach Collins (RFA) - Injured his ankle in the Bubble and never returned after the short offseason OR all year. Had a 2nd surgery on the ankle. Portland could have really used him during the playoffs and he never saw the floor. I'm not willing to throw big $$ at someone like that - even with all his potential.

Tier 1 - sure starter with Allstar potential:
Richaun Holmes - He is the only UFA that is available that checks all the boxes for us. Rim protector, defensive minded, hustle player that can score in the paint. Doesn't have the 3 ball in his arsenal - so he is a bit of an oldschool Big but can switch and defend positions 3-5. 

Tier 2 - sure starter:
Nerlens Noel - Rebounder & Rim protector with long arms that can also catch lobs and put-back dunks. No True offensive post game or 3 ball. Might have found his home in New York though. It'll be interesting if they decide to stay with Mitchell Robinson (coming off injury) or give a nice contract to keep Noel.
Drummond -  Oldschool Center that has never really proven to be a winner. Rebounds the hell out of the ball and can operate in the post but not highly efficient. Looking for a big payday I'm sure.
Robin Lopez - Another throwback center that reminds me of Zeller but with more strength. Not a real rim protector but has a much bigger frame that defends. He has some decent post moves and rebounds well.

Tier 3 - untapped potential:
Harry Giles - I liked him for today's NBA. He signed a 1 year in Portland and they really didn't use him much, even with their injury woes throughout the year. He can pass with the best of the Bigs but had a bad shooting year. He rebounds and knows where to be in space. I think he could be an amazing get if he get's more of an opportunity. Doesn't have a 3pt shot though.
Gorgui Dieng - Another weird player that should be sought after more. Has a good 3pt shot and rebounds and defends. Apparently he really likes the Spurs and turned down a lot of other teams to go there because of meeting RC Buford as a kid in Senegal. Don't know if he'd be open to going somewhere else unless we pay over the top. And for untapped potential - I'm not willing to hand out extra dollar$.

Tier 4 - solid backup:
Daniel Theis - Hustle player that can switch onto wings. Very versatile in today's NBA. Also can knock down the occasional 3pt shot. Not a starter IMO though, but someone that can come in off the bench and really help the 2nd unit. Almost the perfect backup.
Whiteside - We all know this story. Has all the tools but the lights might not be on upstairs. Rebounder, shot blocker, some mild post moves - but never been consistent. Might fill up stat sheet but doesn't play winning basketball.
Alex Len - Zeller clone. Rebounds okay, defends okay, some okay post moves and no reliable 3ball shot. Will not hurt the team but will not move the needle either.
Boban - Would maybe an Allstar potential Center 10 years ago. Just a huge monster that rebounds and defends other Bigs only. Can NOT switch onto perimeter players. Uses his size well in the post and can score and knock down FTs efficiently.

Tier 5 - retreads:
Biz - Defends, Rebounds, and can put-back dunks. Zero hands and has trouble switching on quick wing players.
Zeller - See Alex Len..
Dwight - See Drummond.. but add 7 years

If I could take my pick of the litter - Our starter from Tier 1/2 and then our backup from Tier 3-5.
So give me Richaun Holmes and Daniel Theis.

Sadly - What I think we will end up with is 2 players from Tier 3-5, but hopefully no one from Tier 5..

The interesting thing is next year the UFA Bigs are really uninspiring. Outside of Valanciunas and Nurkic - the pickings are even more slim than this year. There's always trades (Myles Turner and James Wiseman rumors) but I wanted to focus on the FA class first. Plus, I'm not really willing to give up a 1st rounder + another young asset yet (which would be the starting asking price).

• Pie 4

17 hours ago, Trainwreck said:

Just trade all the assets except Lamelo and Miles for the 2nd pick of the draft to take Evan Mobley. 

Terry Rozier + Devonte Graham + PJ Washington + 2021 1st + 2022 1st

I want to send Hayward packing but no team is dumb enough like Jordan to take him. 

PG Lamelo Ball

SG Miles Bridges, Malik Monk

SF Gordon Hayward 

PF Jalen McDaniels

C Evan Mobley

Not too shabby.

that is.. just.. bad - and impossible

Malik Monk is a RFA and we need him to sign his qualifying offer of around $7m for this season - then he would be a UFA next year. He said in season ending interviews that "he wants to be wanted" - which I take as he wants a long term deal. He doesn't want another 'prove it to us' season. IMO, if he doesn't want to play on the $7m offer - then you let him walk.

We can't trade Graham - he is a UFA. We need to decide if he is the backup PG we want to pair with Lamelo. Looking at the crop of free agent PGs - I don't see anyone truly better than Graham.

CP3, Conley, Lowry, Dragic, Shroder, Dinwiddie, Lonzo - All of them would want a starting PG role and big $$..
Patty Mills, Dante Exum, Kris Dunn, Avery Bradley, Elfred Payton, Reggie Jackson, Austin Rivers - All of them are that 2nd crop of PGs that would possibly sign a reasonable deal to backup Lamelo. But non of them are better than Graham.

Bridges is not a SG.. he is a tweener SF/PF.. and McD as the starting PF.. c'mon.. he DID surprise this year giving us quality mins off the bench but just no..

• Beer 1

On 6/9/2021 at 1:41 PM, Trainwreck said:

Just trade all the assets except Lamelo and Miles for the 2nd pick of the draft to take Evan Mobley. 

Terry Rozier + Devonte Graham + PJ Washington + 2021 1st + 2022 1st

I want to send Hayward packing but no team is dumb enough like Jordan to take him. 

PG Lamelo Ball

SG Miles Bridges, Malik Monk

SF Gordon Hayward 

PF Jalen McDaniels

C Evan Mobley

Not too shabby.

A move up in the draft is a good idea but it appears that price is really steep.  Mobley might end up going first but 2 does sound about right.

Also, I have personally really cooled to the idea of bringing in Drummond.  He was pretty average in the playoffs and his price will be very high as OP mentioned 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1