• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OTA tweets....still no Robby

As someone who has seen enough of the Panthers struggling to field a competent receiver core over the years I'm definitely not penciling in any unproven rookies over Anderson until some games have been played. Not to mention we haven't had the best luck with injuries and it's a 17 game season now. For now we need him we can talk about next year when the time comes.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Mage said:

I'm not an insider, but I think it is obvious he wants an extension or to be traded to a team who will give it to him.

It would suck to lose him but at the same time when you are a rebuilding team, getting compensation for a guy who will leave in a year can be very beneficial.

I think it's obvious your assuming to much. 

Yes, I agree that he's trying to get more money.  

He has zero reason to force a trade, and he doesn't have the leverage to do so.  I also don't think he'll decide to sit out the season, not at his age.  

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I think it's obvious your assuming to much. 

Yes, I agree that he's trying to get more money.  

He has zero reason to force a trade, and he doesn't have the leverage to do so.  I also don't think he'll decide to sit out the season, not at his age.  

What?  If he wants to get extended, and we won't extend him, then logically he would like to be traded to a team that will extend him before he plays on a 1-year deal. 

I never said anything about him sitting out a season or forcing a trade.  

I get why Robbie doesn't want to play without an extension in place. I also get why the Panthers don't want to give him one. We've got a lot of young talent we are going to spend big money on to retain in the next few years. #2 WR isn't the spot where you want to tie up a bunch of money.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

We won’t get anything that significant for him. Julio fetched a 2nd, a 3rd would be best case and we can get that in the form of a comp. The WR room turns into DJ, other Moore, and some rookies/unproven players without him. I think he is needed this year for Marshall and Smith to develop.

Nailed it...Said the same thing in another thread. He's worth more to us on the field this year vs what we would could get as a compensatory pick. We need to put Darnold in the best position to succeed. 

• Pie 1

Said it before and I'll say it again, Robbie is a meathead. He can run and catch, but he makes stupid decisions off the field and careerwise. 

Rhule gave him an opportunity here and he made the most of it. Honestly, though, if you look at the stats (or just watched the games) Robbie's production tailed off last season after week 5 (Falcons) and there were games he barely showed up on the stats sheet, generally when the opponent had a good to great corner to put on him. Sure, his overall performance netted over 1,000 yards, but the lion's share of that work was by week 5. And when it came to scoring, Teddy frikkin' Bridgewater rushed for more TDs that Anderson netted. 

By the end of the season, Anderson wasn't the WR1 or the second choice on passing downs. He was a third choice at best when Mike Davis had to stay in and block. If Anderson's agent is telling him to push for a new contract or a trade, it's probably because he senses that the performance drop off could be even more dramatic going into 2021 and Anderson might find himself in the mix of middling skilled receivers trying to find a spot on a team. And don't get me started on his "veteran presence" credentials. 

If Anderson is smart, he shows up soon, plays his heart out with the idea that anything less than 700 yards and 5 TDs won't get him a guaranteed spot on the next season's team. And if he takes a pot shot tweet at the new QB during the season, then all bets are off. 

NFL careers are way too short for a marginal starter to just blow off OTAs.  

• Pie 2

27 minutes ago, Mage said:

What?  If he wants to get extended, and we won't extend him, then logically he would like to be traded to a team that will extend him before he plays on a 1-year deal. 

I never said anything about him sitting out a season or forcing a trade.  

I was pointing his lack of leverage to even force a trade.