• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bill Barnwell ranks the Panthers offseason as 7th worst

Peon Awesome

8 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Especially when you consider that we had 16 guys valued as 1st round picks.

So as much as the Bears offer being worth the #1 overall pick (I don't agree with that), if it means you have to Draft a guy in 2021 that you don't consider a 1st round talent then it's a bad move.

It why analytics, in a bubble, suck.

This is exactly why we didn't take the Chicago offer.  Why trade down and pick and overrated 2nd round pick in round one.

I believe we nailed this draft.  I think you'll see our defense is going to be awesome.  I am so excited to see this new product on the field.  I also believe that our staff did their homework on Darnold and he'll utilize all his weapons and put up enough points to win many of our games.  Those 8 games we lost by one score or less will turn around for us. 

Barwell barely mentioned any of our other draft picks outside of Horn.   It's feasible that all will see playing time in 2021. 

After listening to Snow talk yesterday.   I am excited to see what Taylor brings to our defense. 

What a math wiz.

The 49ers payed the 12th, two more firsts and a third for the third overall pick.

But somehow the 20th, one first, a third and a fourth is worth the first overall pick. 

I hope he had Miami first with the same reverse logic...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

7 hours ago, The Huddler said:

a 2nd round pick is not a significant bet..  pretty light compared to what the 9ers just did. 

Yeah, especially since so often we just threw our 2nd round picks away.  Sure it looks precious now because we transferred our 2nd into 4 players.

14 hours ago, Darknight said:

I thought this was one of the Panthers best off-seasons from what I remember. They did get an offer from the Vikings but it was a weak offer. 

Tell them not to come back.  Don't come back to us with negative points.  Don't call us with negative points.

18 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

Didn't see anyone post this article. But he's ranking teams based primarily on how well they did in free agency and the draft. For reference, his top 5 are Bucs, Patriots, Chargers, Ravens and WFT. Bottom 5: Raiders, Packers, Steelers, Texans and Falcons. The relevant Panthers section:

26. Carolina Panthers

What went right: The Panthers continued to build carefully under Matt Rhule and new general manager Scott Fitterer, with one significant swap that we'll get to in a minute. I like the deals they made Haason Reddick and A.J. Bouye on defense, and they added a valuable piece at cornerback in No. 8 overall pick Jaycee Horn. The decision to give up on Teddy Bridgewater and make a run at Sam Darnold might end up being the most notable and important choice the Panthers made this offseason, but I generally liked the supplemental decisions Rhule & Co. made around their roster this offseason.

What went wrong: I'm not thoroughly excited about the Darnold trade, which saw Carolina send three picks to the Jets for the former No. 3 overall pick, including a second-rounder in 2022. Perhaps more importantly, the Panthers also agreed to pick up Darnold's fifth-year option for 2023, which is now fully guaranteed at $18.6 million. Quarterbacks who start their career like Darnold rarely turn into effective passers in their second stops, and this franchise is making a significant bet that Darnold will be the exception. His lack of development and middling success even in clean pockets would worry me, and I think the most likely scenario is that Carolina is back in the quarterback market again in 2022.

What clean pockets did he have with the Jets?   🤔

And having ANY type of success throwing more TDs and than INTs on that team (which he's done) was not "middling".   It was a miracle.

Also his lack of development could have something to do with the Jets being a Dumpster-fire as well as Adam Gase.

It's like Barnwell didn't do much digging to find that out but instead went with only a cursory review.  

And based on everyone else's reaction to his review of the Panthers overall, everyone is not impressed (along with myself). 

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1

We had a great offseason, even if we didn't get exactly what we wanted.

We were in the hunt for the two most coveted QB's that were available in Stafford and Watson...Rams overpaid, and Watson couldn't keep his hands to himself...but we were in there.

We came away with what many said would be the 2nd or 3rd QB taken in this draft if he were to have come out of USC with his physical skills and previous play....for a 2nd and some fluff...which we recouped in the draft.

Also, became the youngest team in the league, when our division rivals are getting very long in the tooth...

Am I frothing about Sam...nah, but I'm excited.  I did NOT want Fields...just me, I'm sure many here will hold it against the Panthers for passing on him, but a lot of other teams did as well, and seemingly didn't WOW us with major trade bait to slide up...tells you how the rest of the league graded him as well.

Are we going to make the playoffs?  Probably not.  Are we trending in the right direction?  Hell yes.

Also, there is no way we don't score in the top 16 as far as off seasons when the team actually fired Hurney...that alone should give us a top 10 grade.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

We had a great offseason, even if we didn't get exactly what we wanted.

We were in the hunt for the two most coveted QB's that were available in Stafford and Watson...Rams overpaid, and Watson couldn't keep his hands to himself...but we were in there.

We came away with what many said would be the 2nd or 3rd QB taken in this draft if he were to have come out of USC with his physical skills and previous play....for a 2nd and some fluff...which we recouped in the draft.

Also, became the youngest team in the league, when our division rivals are getting very long in the tooth...

Am I frothing about Sam...nah, but I'm excited.  I did NOT want Fields...just me, I'm sure many here will hold it against the Panthers for passing on him, but a lot of other teams did as well, and seemingly didn't WOW us with major trade bait to slide up...tells you how the rest of the league graded him as well.

Are we going to make the playoffs?  Probably not.  Are we trending in the right direction?  Hell yes.

Also, there is no way we don't score in the top 16 as far as off seasons when the team actually fired Hurney...that alone should give us a top 10 grade.

Pretty much the only way it makes sense is if you only look at it from a QB perspective and believe the Panthers lost big, which frankly really isn't a fair way to look at it.

Even if the Panthers lose this gamble, they'll have a great shot at a rookie QB in 2022. The only pain there would be losing the 2nd rounder and the 18 million in CAP after overpaying for Teddy as well.

4 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

How Darnold does is the key.

Bridgewater and Fields?

spacer.png

To us, yes. When we talk about national evaluation of this off-season after this year, it will take into account how Fields and Bridgewater played compared to Darnold in the 2021 season.

Darnold can play better than 1, both, or neither and still have a good season. But people will judge if it was the "right move" from the outside looking in based on how they do compared to each other. Fields can win ROTY, and beat out Darnold statistically, but the Panthers could also go 11-6 and earn a playoff birth with Darnold putting up solid numbers and it still be a win for the Panthers.

19 hours ago, Call Me James said:

I'm 50/50 myself. In part because the division is in Flux and we were a handful of close games from having a Chance.

But the reason I asked is because if we don't view ourselves as becoming a playoff team putting us in the middle of the. Pack of non contenders doesn't seem too crazy considering we didn't fill our three biggest holes with sure things. 

But yea, I agree the trade conversation is bizarre considering how much we moved around and picked up value later on. 

Like would he have rated our draftas more of a success if we just traded back in the firdt and took a Lineman? 

I got them at 6-11. I feel the playoff talk is one more year away. Just like many teams, the play form the QB could put the panthers in the playoffs this year. 

21 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Especially when you consider that we had 16 guys valued as 1st round picks.

So as much as the Bears offer being worth the #1 overall pick (I don't agree with that), if it means you have to Draft a guy in 2021 that you don't consider a 1st round talent then it's a bad move.

It why analytics, in a bubble, suck.

I think Finesser himself said the trade Giants got was better than the one offered to him, I think it was overheard during the long offseason recap vid. Bears upped their offer cause he kept on falling and were scared about losing him. I think the panthers offer did not even include the future 1.....

• Pie 1