• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers LB Shaq Thompson Bulks Up

KatsAzz

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

I believe it’s around half that. The restructure was a bad move. I get why they did it but it still sucks. I’m gonna be hopeful for a trade of some sorts. We need to stop paying linebackers and rbs huge money. 

Some people on the huddle obviously like overpaying off-ball linebackers. Shaq is an average starter nothing more.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I'm guessing the reason Shaq gets so much unwarranted grief, is because he is a hold-over from the previous regime.

For me it is the contract. If we keep him next year he has a cap hit of 18m, if we cut him he has a dead cap hit of 12m, we are already paying him 8m this year. 

I dont want the team to waste 20-26m over the next 2 seasons for an average LB. 20m for one season if we just release him, 26m for 2 seasons if we keep him.

Edited by PootieNunu

11 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

For me it is the contract. If we keep him next year he has a cap hit of 18m, if we cut him he has a dead cap hit of 12m, we are already paying him 8m this year. 

I dont want the team to waste 20-26m over the next 2 seasons for an average LB. 20m for one season if we just release him, 26m for 2 seasons if we keep him.

Oh, I get that he is over-paid. But, that is only one of many things folks harp on him. Me? The kid is better than most on here are willing to admit. 

Take that contract out of the equation, and he probably get more love.

Lastly, you can't blame him for that contract. Judge the player, not the money.

Edited by iamhubby1
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

Oh, I get that he is over-paid. But, that is only one of many things folks harp on him. Me? The kid is better than most on here are willing to admit. 

Take that contract out of the equation, and he probably get more love.

For sure.

20 million for a 4-3 LB and he is ‘under appreciated’ lol. I could’ve appreciated BB a lot more for a lot less.

How do you appreciate that? So the contract isn’t his fault, fine. But neither was Teddy’s…where is his appreciation?

As a fan of the team I can’t appreciate Shaq for 20 million sorry. Shaq is not Luke and he could easily be replaced. For every solid tackle he whiffs, and he cannot blitz worth a poo. 

His dumbass contract will be the last of Hurney’s that will cripple the team in.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, onmyown said:

20 million for a 4-3 LB and he is ‘under appreciated’ lol. I could’ve appreciated BB a lot more for a lot less.

How do you appreciate that? So the contract isn’t his fault, fine. But neither was Teddy’s…where is his appreciation?

As a fan of the team I can’t appreciate Shaq for 20 million sorry. Shaq is not Luke and he could easily be replaced. For every solid tackle he whiffs, and he cannot blitz worth a poo. 

His dumbass contract will be the last of Hurney’s that will cripple the team in.

BB? 

Animated GIF

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

I'm guessing the reason Shaq gets so much unwarranted grief, is because he is a hold-over from the previous regime.

Nah, he's just significantly overpaid and a significant disappoinment by the standard of Panthers 1st round LBs. When the measuring sticks are Morgan, Beason, TD, Luke, etc. just being a decent starter is a disappointment.

• Pie 6

5 minutes ago, Rubi said:

He’s an avg nfl starter. Nothing terrible, nothing crazy. Plays hard. 

He is not whitehead bad, but with that cap hit over the next few years he may as well be. No way his production will match his pay. It was a dumb contract, another in the long line of hurney. If he was being paid 4-5m a year I would have no problem with him.

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

He is not whitehead bad, but with that cap hit over the next few years he may as well be. No way his production will match his pay. It was a dumb contract, another in the long line of hurney. If he was being paid 4-5m a year I would have no problem with him.

Awful contract. Was paid like he was a game changing first team all pro defender. He’s far from it. But he’s a reliable starter 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Nah, he's just significantly overpaid and a significant disappoinment by the standard of Panthers 1st round LBs. When the measuring sticks are Morgan, Beason, TD, Luke, etc. just being a decent starter is a disappointment.

I already admitted he is over-paid. If you can look past that, the kid can play. I can't convince you otherwise, and I know that. All I am saying is, the kid is better than most folks give him credit for. It's not his fault he is over-paid.

Also, his contract for this year is about what he deserves. So he isn't over-paid yet. But if they can't do something about his future money. Then yeah, he will be over-paid.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Rubi said:

Awful contract. Was paid like he was a game changing first team all pro defender. He’s far from it. But he’s a reliable starter 

This. He's basically James Anderson 2.0.  That's not a bad thing, it's just disappointing for a former 1st round pick and not a guy you pay to be a difference maker.

3 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I already admitted he is over-paid. If you can look past that, the kid can play. I can't convince you otherwise, and I know that. All I am saying is, the kid is better than most folks give him credit for. It's not his fault he is over-paid.

Also, his contract for this year is about what he deserves. So he isn't over-paid yet. But if they can't do something about his future money. Then yeah, he will be over-paid.

I don't want to see anymore restructures for him. Replace him get the dead cap out of the way. We dont want an aging average LB when the team is ready to compete. Either ride it out and take the stupid cap hit or cut him and take the dead money cap hit.

Either way its time to hit the door.

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Beer 1