• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers LB Shaq Thompson Bulks Up

KatsAzz

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Look there are several posters on this forum that are just here to be critical and troll the fans here. If this guy thinks Shaq is above average/good, who cares. The argument over average starter/good player can really come down to opinion. He went from Luke to Whitehead with young players all around him. I personally don’t think he is anything special, but who cares if someone else does. I’m just annoyed at the trolls/fans of other teams on here constantly talking down about the Panthers on a Panthers Fan Forum. Let us fans have our offseason hype, if you want to debate about players that’s great. But (not you) I’ve noticed some are constantly against the team, and really can’t figure out why they are posting here.

This thread was going along just fine. Until our resident bullies jumped in. Now it has gone down the crapper.

There are only a handful of these types up in here. But once they engage you, it's over. You can't get away. They follow you around, insulting everything you say. It's ridiculous.

They make it difficult to engage in civil discourse. They attack "Homers" like it is open season. Why? Because we are happy, and they can't stand it.

Being a "Homer" should not be a Capital Offense.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

I already admitted he is over-paid. If you can look past that, the kid can play. I can't convince you otherwise, and I know that. All I am saying is, the kid is better than most folks give him credit for. It's not his fault he is over-paid.

Also, his contract for this year is about what he deserves. So he isn't over-paid yet. But if they can't do something about his future money. Then yeah, he will be over-paid.

I agree he is probably overpaid.  But there are ways of getting around that, or at least lessening the blow.

Next year his cap hit is 18m including 11m in salary.  Convert the 11m to 2m in salary and a bonus of 9m with an extra dummy year.  Now his cap hit is around 12m.  Not too bad.

The next year, do it again.  Cap hit is 22m or so including 12m in salary.  Convert 10m salary to bonus with 2m in salary.  Now the cap hit is 17m.  High but again manageable.  He's 29 years old and in his absolute peak.  

Yes your now carrying 8m in dead money for a dummy year but who cares - we just won our first Superb Owl.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

Thanks for exhibit A. 

“Please go away and stop talking bad about my team”. 

And just like you did ITT, you and your homers question me. I just offer up a point of view. One that keeps coming true over and over and over. And the homers object but only can offer up this same cop out of “you’re not a fan” after their lack of knowledge runs dry. 

ECE264C5-7407-4334-A15E-7925C6FC0630.gif

lol

2 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I agree he is probably overpaid.  But there are ways of getting around that, or at least lessening the blow.

Next year his cap hit is 18m including 11m in salary.  Convert the 11m to 2m in salary and a bonus of 9m with an extra dummy year.  Now his cap hit is around 12m.  Not too bad.

The next year, do it again.  Cap hit is 22m or so including 12m in salary.  Convert 10m salary to bonus with 2m in salary.  Now the cap hit is 17m.  High but again manageable.  He's 29 years old and in his absolute peak.  

Yes your now carrying 8m in dead money for a dummy year but who cares - we just won our first Superb Owl.

Do it. Do it. Just go ahead and do it.

If we have the best defense this year in the NFL, which I think we could, or even top 3 and Shaq is First or Second Team All-Pro - we better keep him ..

He's 27 .. I think this is the season he turns it up to another gear, like Thomas Davis took a while to bloom, although it was the injuries hampering Davis

People are leading with their emotions instead of their eyes. Nobody hates Shaq. He's been pretty beloved here overall. But he has not fully lived up to his first round status and sizable salary cap allocation. That could change but by the end of his contract he will be 30 with a nearly 20 million dollar cap hit and history is not on his or our sid in that department. When I look at this discussion I'm reminded that there were people who rejoiced in 2010 when we retained that roster and overpaid. At some point folks have to learn because the Panthers repeat the same mistakes. That is why Fitterer was brought in with a different mentality and approach to the draft instead of overindulgence in linebackers and running backs. Well at least that's what we hope.

Edited by frankw

Just now, frankw said:

People are leading with their emotions instead of their eyes. Nobody hates Shaq. He's been pretty beloved here overall. But he has not fully lived up to his first round status and sizable salary cap allocation. That could change but by the end of his contract he will be 30 with a nearly 20 million dollar cap hit and history is not on his or our sid in that department. When I look at this discussion I'm reminded that there were people who rejoiced in 2010 when we retained that roster and overpaid. At some point folks have to learn because the Panthers repeat the same mistakes. That is why Fitterer was brought in with a different mentality and approach to the draft instead of overindulgence in linebackers and running backs. Well at least that's what we hope.

On an otherwise average or below average defense even a Hall of Fame LB wouldn't change the game much though .. Shaq is really good LB but he's still only 1 of 11

4 minutes ago, Peanut Butter said:

On an otherwise average or below average defense even a Hall of Fame LB wouldn't change the game much though .. Shaq is really good LB but he's still only 1 of 11

In 2015 did we have an elite defense overall or did we have a very good linebackers group and an opportunistic secondary? We didn't have that much of a pass rush from the dline but we were still formidable. Our strength was in guys like Luke and TD.

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

In 2015 did we have an elite defense overall or did we have a very good linebackers group and an opportunistic secondary? We didn't have that much of a pass rush from the dline but we were still formidable. Our strength was in guys like Luke and TD.

Luke struggled to make our defense good his last year. Even the HoF linebackers need a good defensive line in front of them. You have to keep those big offensive linemen off them so they can roam free. Star helped Luke the most IMO, Brown could do the same for our linebackers this year.

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Luke struggled to make our defense good his last year. Even the HoF linebackers need a good defensive line in front of them. You have to keep those big offensive linemen off them so they can roam free. Star helped Luke the most IMO, Brown could do the same for our linebackers this year.

True but age and those concussions had caught up with him by that point. Which is why people are now being more realistic in regards to the positional group. Its easy to forget that Luke is only 30. He retired only two years older than Shaq is now.

32 minutes ago, frankw said:

Unfortunately, folks use the "Same ol Panthers" as part of their arguments. Until they get in step to the new regime, they will continue to use it as an excuse.

22 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Unfortunately, folks use the "Same ol Panthers" as part of their arguments. Until they get in step to the new regime, they will continue to use it as an excuse.

But sadly it has been the same ol Panthers my friend. We haven't sniffed a divisional crown in half a decade now. Let's hope Sam is the answer.

46 minutes ago, frankw said:

I am sorry to be that guy. But, actually, we were 3rd in sacks that year, with 44. 

26 minutes ago, frankw said:

But sadly it has been the same ol Panthers my friend. We haven't sniffed a divisional crown in half a decade now. Let's hope Sam is the answer.

Rhule has been here only 2 years. Fitts is in his first year. That is no where near, "The same ol Panthers".

Most of the old guards players are gone. The old coach, and his crones are gone. The ol owner is gone. The only things still remaining from the "Same ol Panthers" is the Stadium, and the jerseys.

We have entered a new era in Panther football. But it seems like some of our fans are stuck in the past. They are still using their fear of that past regime as fuel for their arguments.

• Pie 1