• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers LB Shaq Thompson Bulks Up

KatsAzz

22 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Rhule has been here only 2 years. Fitts is in his first year. That is no where near, "The same ol Panthers".

Most of the old guards players are gone. The old coach, and his crones are gone. The ol owner is gone. The only things still remaining from the "Same ol Panthers" is the Stadium, and the jerseys.

We have entered a new era in Panther football. But it seems like some of our fans are stuck in the past. They are still using their fear of that past regime as fuel for their arguments.

The Teddy fiasco overall says otherwise. Fitterer wasn't involved obviously but Rhule and Brady really need a win with Darnold.

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

The Teddy fiasco overall says otherwise. Fitterer wasn't involved obviously but Rhule and Brady really need a win with Darnold.

Oh come on. Rhule shows up to coach the Panthers, he looks at the QB room and says. "Well this ain't good". 

They took Teddy because he had a history with Brady. That scenario failed because of Teddy. You can hold that against Rhule if you want to. But Teddy is the one that sucked. 

We gave Teddy a chance to be the man. He took that and dumped all over it.

11 minutes ago, frankw said:

The Teddy fiasco overall says otherwise. 

Maybe.  I still think Teddy was always meant to just be a bridge, its even in his name.  They knew his limitations just like we did. 

Did we overpay?  Sure.   Rhule had been coach for five minutes and Hurney still had at least some input.  

If its Rhule's biggest blunder, to overpay Teddy in a rebuild year, I can live with that.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Maybe.  I still think Teddy was always meant to just be a bridge, its even in his name.  They knew his limitations just like we did. 

Did we overpay?  Sure.   Rhule had been coach for five minutes and Hurney still had at least some input.  

If its Rhule's biggest blunder, to overpay Teddy in a rebuild year, I can live with that.

Go ahead and blame Rhule for thinking Teddy and Brady would make a good team. That may be fair.

But you have to blame Hurney for that contract. Teddy fizzling out doesn't move the chains. But Teddy fizzling out at 20mil a year? That one is hard to swallow

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Oh come on. Rhule shows up to coach the Panthers, he looks at the QB room and says. "Well this ain't good". 

They took Teddy because he had a history with Brady. That scenario failed because of Teddy. You can hold that against Rhule if you want to. But Teddy is the one that sucked. 

We gave Teddy a chance to be the man. He took that and dumped all over it.

3 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I'm not holding the contract against them I'm sure Hurney did what he did with that and market value is what it is. But we didn't help matters by dragging him through the mud publicly and tanking any value he had. That was on us. I hope that and the public turmoil with Newton was a lesson learned moving forward.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

But you have to blame Hurney for that contract. Teddy fizzling out doesn't move the chains. But Teddy fizzling out at 20mil a year? That one is hard to swallow

I'm really not that upset about the contract.  20 mil a year was a going rate for a starting QB. 

We were going to suck last year and everyone knew it...the QB's weren't going to line up.

We couldn't close the deal with Cam.  We just had NO negotiating leverage.

Hurney threw away draft picks left and right.  

Overpaying for a QB to hold the reins while we go thru TOTOAL rebuild from top to bottom is the least of Hurney's sins IMO.

1 minute ago, frankw said:

But we didn't help matters by dragging him through the mud publicly and tanking any value he had. That was on us. I hope that and the public turmoil with Newton was a lesson learned moving forward.

That's fair.   I think they were trying to get the word out to other franchises that we were in the market so that we wouldn't miss any deals.  I don't remember them saying "Teddy sucks" it was more, we want a new QB and want to be in on any deal...seriously call us.

The net effect tho was as you said, it threw shade on Teddy.

He landed on his feet though  with 30 million.  I think he hoped he could be our franchise QB.  It just wasn't meant to be.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:58 AM, KatsAzz said:

I hope the added muscle will increase his sack ability after getting only two QB hits on 55 blitz attempts

If he's blitzing inside which is likely it offers an opportunity for a free edge rusher depending on numbers. He's an offball LBer with Luke gone. 

Better metric would be the team results on those blitzes. 

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

That's fair.   I think they were trying to get the word out to other franchises that we were in the market so that we wouldn't miss any deals.  I don't remember them saying "Teddy sucks" it was more, we want a new QB and want to be in on any deal...seriously call us.

The net effect tho was as you said, it threw shade on Teddy.

He landed on his feet though  with 30 million.  I think he hoped he could be our franchise QB.  It just wasn't meant to be.

The worst part of that is Teddy thought what he put on tape last year was good enough to be a franchise QB. The guy thinks it is everyone else's fault he failed last season. He wants to take no accountability for his piss poor play on the field. 

14 minutes ago, frankw said:

I'm not holding the contract against them I'm sure Hurney did what he did with that and market value is what it is. But we didn't help matters by dragging him through the mud publicly and tanking any value he had. That was on us. I hope that and the public turmoil with Newton was a lesson learned moving forward.

The NFL is a business. Sometimes things just don't go the players way.

There is no evidence that we ruined Teddy's value. We were lucky anyone wanted to trade for him.

Now Cam? That one is a different matter.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

I am sorry to be that guy. But, actually, we were 3rd in sacks that year, with 44. 

I had a more detailed response to this that disappeared. But my overall point wasn't that we didn't have a pass rush at all but that Luke and Davis were integral to the overall success of the defense. Between them they had 6 and half sacks and 8 interceptions. In regards to those sack numbers though it's a shame that didn't show up in the biggest game. Kony Ealy was a top contributor with 3 sacks and nobody here would say he was very good. Damn shame.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

The worst part of that is Teddy thought what he put on tape last year was good enough to be a franchise QB. The guy thinks it is everyone else's fault he failed last season. 

Teddy had a career year last year, and was probably hoping to have a chance to grow with us.   He probably would have done better this year, especially with what we've added.

He threw some shade, out of disappointment for the lost chance...and the clear signal we sent that it just wasn't in him.

The shade he threw during the season I think was meant more as an excuse rather than attacking Brady, but I can see how some don't see it that way.

He got paid, he's now the Bronco's to deal with.

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

I had a more detailed response to this that disappeared. But my overall point wasn't that we didn't have a pass rush at all but that Luke and Davis were integral to the overall success of the defense. Between them they had 6 and half sacks and 8 interceptions. In regards to those sack numbers though it's a shame that didn't show up in the biggest game. Kony Ealy was a top contributor with 3 sacks and nobody here would say he was very good. Damn shame.

Had we won, Ealy might have won MVP, seriously.

• Beer 1